Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2010, 14:40   #166
Registered User
 
mintyspilot's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Very true, but what is also true is the crack in the side of a volcanic mountain which is getting wider because the lower half of the mountain is moving downwards.
And it may very well slip into the deep with nothing more than a big ripple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Whilst you're here, what was your experience of the fuel tankers strike in 2000. Unfortunately I was rather busy serving in Belfast at the time so only know what the papers reported.
I actually used to live in Belfast..... However I was in England in 2000 at the time of the fuel protest and I don't recall much panic. However for those of us living in the UK then this might be of interest.

The simple fact is that western Europe and the eastern US are geologically stable areas and apart from an asteroid strike in the Atlantic we probably have little to worry about so your point about civil disorder (in the UK) is probably what we really need to worry about. Perhaps the solution is a "stiff upper lip old boy..."
__________________

__________________
Arthur Dent: "I wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was younger"
Ford Prefect: "Why? What did she say?"
Arthur: "I don't know - I didn't listen!!"
mintyspilot is offline  
Old 28-12-2010, 15:49   #167
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,203
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

So basically your saying that the land masses/continents are not moving north and that the Indian sub-continent raising the height of the Himalayas annually is not a fact.. and various other geologocal things likr NZ has a part of the Nth Island being sucked Nth... measureably every year...
Basically the whole earth is sitting on fluid and is mobile all the time.... including the ocean floors...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline  
Old 28-12-2010, 15:58   #168
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So basically your saying that the land masses/continents are not moving north and that the Indian sub-continent raising the height of the Himalayas annually is not a fact.. and various other geologocal things likr NZ has a part of the Nth Island being sucked Nth... measureably every year...
Basically the whole earth is sitting on fluid and is mobile all the time.... including the ocean floors...
Plate tectonics has nothing to do with pole shift. The earth's axis has essentially not moved for many millions of years.

Continental drift is a fact, as is the change in the magnetic pole, but there is no axis or pole change.

Think of it as a layer of ice breaking up in a lake. Winds will move that ice over the surface, but the floor of the lake will not move.
__________________
avb3 is offline  
Old 28-12-2010, 16:04   #169
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,203
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Well Hell... sounds as likely as anything else thats supposed to happen in 2012... so I'll put a 10spot on it....
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline  
Old 28-12-2010, 16:23   #170
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 8,551
Images: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well Hell... sounds as likely as anything else thats supposed to happen in 2012... so I'll put a 10spot on it....
So after 170 posts we have now worked out that the end of the world is not though earth quakes, floods or Gods wrath, but that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012

How long does a sack of rice keep? just wondering when to buy a couple, just incase you understand.

Pete
__________________
Pete7 is online now  
Old 28-12-2010, 16:44   #171
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,203
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
So after 170 posts we have now worked out that the end of the world is not though earth quakes, floods or Gods wrath, but that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012

How long does a sack of rice keep? just wondering when to buy a couple, just incase you understand.

Pete
Ahh.... but your forgetting Nostrodamus... he forecast the end of the European Union would happen just before the end of the world as we know it.... looks like that might be due next year the way things are going...
Thats two outa three... Hang on.. I'll think up something else in a minute...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline  
Old 28-12-2010, 17:01   #172
Registered User
 
GeoPowers's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulfport, MS
Boat: Beneteau 393
Posts: 947
Images: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
How long does a sack of rice keep? just wondering when to buy a couple, just incase you understand.
Pete
Depends on how hungry you are! After a while I hear it tastes like chicken.
GeoPowers is offline  
Old 28-12-2010, 17:08   #173
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,203
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Speaking of which... have you tried sea serpent... very nice kebabed.. on a bed of rice with lemon squeezed over..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline  
Old 29-12-2010, 05:59   #174
Registered User
 
mintyspilot's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So basically your saying that the land masses/continents are not moving north and that the Indian sub-continent raising the height of the Himalayas annually is not a fact.. and various other geologocal things likr NZ has a part of the Nth Island being sucked Nth... measureably every year...
Basically the whole earth is sitting on fluid and is mobile all the time.... including the ocean floors...
Oh it all moves, but it is due the return of the Greek and Roman Gods of the Underworld trying to get back in charge. Basically they have been stuck down there for 2000 years after Zeus and the party girls of Mt Olympus moved on to a new "bash" elsewhere.

Those continents are heavy even for a Greek God to move. As for the end of the world/EU (delete as appropriate) I plan to learn to sacrifice goats, bulls and chickens and I'm revising by reading The Iliad and The Odyessey right now. Just in case....
__________________
Arthur Dent: "I wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was younger"
Ford Prefect: "Why? What did she say?"
Arthur: "I don't know - I didn't listen!!"
mintyspilot is offline  
Old 29-12-2010, 06:02   #175
Registered User
 
mintyspilot's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
So after 170 posts we have now worked out that the end of the world is not though earth quakes, floods or Gods wrath, but that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012
My kitchen calendar ends the day after tomorrow. There's nothing on it after Friday 31st Dec. Should I be worried?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
How long does a sack of rice keep? just wondering when to buy a couple, just incase you understand.

Pete
I found some wild rice in a jar in a box from our house move 14 years ago. It was still edible because Tesco's was shut at the time .....
__________________
Arthur Dent: "I wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was younger"
Ford Prefect: "Why? What did she say?"
Arthur: "I don't know - I didn't listen!!"
mintyspilot is offline  
Old 29-12-2010, 06:44   #176
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
I plan to learn to sacrifice goats, bulls and chickens
Goats is for combating climate change. obviously

FWIW I don't see the need to buy a large EoTW Yacht - just need to know where a few are usually berthed. Come the apocalypse I figure it will be first come first served.........and then armageddon outta hear

Funnily enough on the TV over Xmas had "I am Legend" (Will Smith) and "War of the Worlds" (Tom Cruise version) - by the end of both I was not only hoping they would get eaten, but would have happily joined in to end the movies early

At the end of the world perhaps best not to over assume which side you will be on
__________________
David_Old_Jersey is offline  
Old 29-12-2010, 07:03   #177
Registered User
 
mintyspilot's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Goats is for combating climate change. obviously
Should I join Team GOAT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
FWIW I don't see the need to buy a large EoTW Yacht - just need to know where a few are usually berthed. Come the apocalypse I figure it will be first come first served.........and then armageddon outta hear
Nice idea - they're not going to be calling the cops, are they? What cops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
At the end of the world perhaps best not to over assume which side you will be on
I'll be on my side - that way I'll know where everyone stands on the issue.....
__________________
Arthur Dent: "I wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was younger"
Ford Prefect: "Why? What did she say?"
Arthur: "I don't know - I didn't listen!!"
mintyspilot is offline  
Old 29-12-2010, 07:06   #178
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
I'll be on my side - that way I'll know where everyone stands on the issue.....
The first indicator that the end of the world has arrived will be new Members on CF with first questions like........."What's the BEST boat for a Zombie?"
__________________
David_Old_Jersey is offline  
Old 29-12-2010, 07:33   #179
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Location: British Columbia, Mexico
Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Posts: 837
Images: 23
The best boat would be a U boat,underwater is where you will want to run to when TSHTF.
__________________
highseas is offline  
Old 29-12-2010, 08:08   #180
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 8,551
Images: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Should I join Team GOAT?

Nice idea - they're not going to be calling the cops, are they? What cops?
Nope, but we will be under Marshall Law and something very similar to Sharia law too.

Pete
__________________

__________________
Pete7 is online now  
Closed Thread

Tags
sailboat

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a Cruising Sailboat ! Soon2bsailor Monohull Sailboats 12 05-10-2014 21:32
Interior Decorating Your Sailboat ? Velma Families, Kids and Pets Afloat 144 17-01-2014 22:58
Two Dead, Seven Hurt in San Diego Sailboat Accident h20man Cruising News & Events 151 03-08-2011 14:13
Yet Another Newbie Says Hi kungfoo Meets & Greets 9 24-07-2011 20:54



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:30.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.