Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2016, 08:30   #46

Re: Safety for Americans abroad

Quote:
valhalla360 ]I'm calling bull on your story. At best there is a lot more to it than you were aware of. More likely it's an old urban legend you are repeating.
Call bull all you want Valhalla....I've absolutely NO reason to come on this board to write made up stories.

As far as what I've witnessed in my travels....(I log over 40,000 miles a month), and that's just for work. You?......I've been doing this for over 38 years now, so you could say I've seen a thing or two.

As to Saigon....I flew that exclusively for over 7 years. However, my "story" is true and FTR, not a reflection of Saigon or anyplace else in SE Asia This particular incident happened in a bar in HCM's "Backpacker Area"....lots of cheap hotels, bars, cafes etc..mostly visited by young Euros, Aussies etc.....very few Americans. This was just ONE particular incident and I could see nothing specific that provoked the incident. Believe what you want.

My experiences as a world traveler, like what most everybody else has described, is very positive. People are naturally curious and I'm always asked where I'm from....most always with a smile on their faces. No big deal. But on RARE occasion, I've experienced, as have members of my crew, anti American sentiment, and that quite simply is a FACT.

As to the OP....VERY few places in the world have I ever felt unsafe....non issue if one uses just a little common sense.
Old 22-07-2016, 08:43   #47
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by surb View Post
Americans lack common sense and class and expect everyone to adhere to our rules when abroad and that is not how it works, sorry.
I thought that was Germans?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 08:56   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Call bull all you want Valhalla....I've absolutely NO reason to come on this board to write made up stories.

So you saw one quick exchange with no history of why it occurred.

That would be like visiting a highschool, you see a kid walk up to another kid call him a name and the a fight ensues...so you assume the school is dangerous because kids just walk up and start wailing on other kids.

Without knowing who they are, what their history is, it looks very random but in reality I can all but guarantee their is more to it. I'll give you 100-1 odds there was more to your story than guys out looking for random Americans to attack, so to bring it up creates a false impression of the safety when traveling.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 10:25   #49

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

I think the name of this thread exposes the real problem. Safety of Americans? Why not safety of red heads? Absurd as it is individual safety what is the real concern. **** happens to good people and there's just so much each of us can do. Can do less, worry less and live more me thinks

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 10:52   #50

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
I think the name of this thread exposes the real problem. Safety of Americans? Why not safety of red heads? Absurd as it is individual safety what is the real concern. **** happens to good people and there's just so much each of us can do. Can do less, worry less and live more me thinks

BR Teddy
Well, Ive never heard anyone suggest red heads should dye their hair brown to avoid hatred while travelling. If that had been my concern I would have posted about it.

There is no doubt that individual saftey is the real concern. But, knowing if ones nationality puts ones individual safety at a disadvantage seems on point. Im glad this thread has put the question to bed. But there really are no stupid questions.
Old 22-07-2016, 10:58   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Funny, As a Canadian I feel that way now! We just came of 8 fantastic years of federal govt where we were the envy of the world! we weathered the financial crisis better that just about everyone, only to have the population do an about face and plunge us into debt over spending and just plain stupid policy! oh well at least I'll be able to legally smoke and forget about it!
Let's clarify something here. Harper came to power with an election platform that included amending the bank act to allow mergers, takeovers, and a reduction in the bank capital requirements. He was anti-bank regulation by philosophy. He was unable to make theses changes, but had he, there is little doubt we would have suffered much of the same fate that the US banking system did. His failure to enact these changes he wanted save our economy at that time.

His economic philosophy of avoiding government support of industry has a had a debilitating effect on our auto industry, and thus when oil prices collapsed left us with a shadow of our former largest manufacturing industry which otherwise would have softened the blow of the tar sands hit. Hopefully the low dollar will help it recover, signs are there it may, but jeez, an economic whiz he is not, though an economist he is.

And FWIW, I'm not sure we're heading to a better place either.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 11:17   #52

Boat: Rafiki 37

I think your first mistake OP was reading comments on the internet...

edit: also the harper government was maybe the worst in living memory, as they not only completely trashed the countries finances, they got us kicked off the security council, burnt literally 100 years of records, tied the entire job market to a highly volatile commodity, horribly mismanaged almost every crown corporation, burnt tons of bridges diplomatically, withheld internal aid because it included condom use, suppressed/destroyed scientific research and oversaw the largest expansion of the surveillance state ever.

And as for the weathering the bank crisis 'ok' - it was entirely due to the greater regulations surrounding our banks which had nothing to do with his government - in fact they were pushing to deregulate! (which they mysteriously shut up about once the crisis hit)

Basically on any metric you care to name, they were a colossal failure. Including the economy.

Actually, the supreme court nominees were really quite good - so I'll give him that.
Old 22-07-2016, 11:28   #53

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

[QUOTE think your first mistake OP was reading comments on the internet.][/QUOTE]

Yes! Its like watching scary movies before bed time!
Old 22-07-2016, 11:37   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
And as for the weathering the bank crisis 'ok' - it was entirely due to the greater regulations surrounding our banks which had nothing to do with his government - in fact they were pushing to deregulate! (which they mysterious shut up about once the crisis hit).
That's plagiarizing. Did you write Melania's Trump speech?
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 11:43   #55

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
That's plagiarizing. Did you write Melania's Trump speech?
You put it a lot better than I did
Old 22-07-2016, 11:49   #56

I wouldn't worry about your safety based on any concerns about your country's leadership. The wilder and crazier the leadership, the more interesting it is to talk to the citizens of the country and find out what it's really like on the inside. More people will buy you a beer in a bar. They won't assume you hold the same views.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 14:57   #57

Quote:
valhalla360;2171957]So you saw one quick exchange with no history of why it occurred.
True....so? Doesn't change the fact that it did happen, and at the time, the victim was just enjoying a beer.

Quote:
That would be like visiting a highschool, you see a kid walk up to another kid call him a name and the a fight ensues...so you assume the school is dangerous because kids just walk up and start wailing on other kids.
I wouldn't assume the school was dangerous anymore than I would ASS-ume this particular bar was dangerous. That's just ridiculous.

Quote:
Without knowing who they are, what their history is, it looks very random but in reality I can all but guarantee their is more to it. I'll give you 100-1 odds there was more to your story than guys out looking for random Americans to attack, so to bring it up creates a false impression of the safety when traveling.
I do not pretend to know the circumstance of the attack. As to giving a false impression?....if you say so.:face palm:
Old 22-07-2016, 19:22   #58

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

The mass hysteria that drives groups to vent frustrations on innocent individuals is common in humans.

Considering that many consider the USA to be the "Great Satan" and that many have suffered under the heels of the US war/peace keeping/democracy building machine, yes there is a bit of anti-American sentiment around this world.

Consider how an Arab in the USA was looked on after 9/11? The hijackers plotted and acted in secret yet an innocent Muslim on the street was in danger of paying the bill.

Look up what happened to Japanese/Americans after Pearl Harbor.

While it might seem just, that a man pays for his own actions, it is not nor has it ever been the way of the world.
Old 22-07-2016, 22:05   #59

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
The single most important thing to remember when experiencing the "hate"

Trump will not put up with the USA being walked all over by other countries. I have lived in Europe for a long time and the bottom line with many of me European friends is they won't have wimp to kick around anymore.

O'Bama is an ongoing joke among the Europeans. Would you hate a Trump possibility if you had been dealing with a patsy for 8 years ?
I think your handle underscores your comment...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 23:51   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I wouldn't assume the school was dangerous anymore than I would ASS-ume this particular bar was dangerous. That's just ridiculous.
Yes, it is ridiculous because most of us have been thru high school and understand kids get into fights occasionally and it likely has a back story to explain it.

The concern here is people may not have ever visited Saigon, so sharing a story that implies you can expect random violence is misleading.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety