Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2016, 21:14   #31

Re: Safety for Americans abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I guess we'll agree to disagree. I will point out that under the Harper gvt we were virtually laughed at when we tried for a seat on the UN security council. That our stances on the international stage, from human rights and refugees to the environment and even some trade conferences, had our friends and allies publicly wondering what had happened to Canada. And as for weathering the 08 economic storm, sure ... we did better than most, but only by relying on the legal and regulatory framework inherited by Harper. And still it took a threat of an opposition coalition to get Harper to even acknowledge there was a looming financial crisis, and to take the stimulus steps necessary that kept us solvent.

So sure, lets agree to disagree.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
I worked in the US during the Jean Cretian Govt and that was an embarrassment.
His actions resulted in unfavorable outcomes on cross borser issues that cost our country a lot of money and cut our military and intelligence services out of the loup.
Two major allies, UK and US did not think highly of us.

Harpers Govt worked hard to turn that mess around during his first term.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 01:04   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I've been made aware of ALOT of anti-American **** in my world travels... I can cite MANY examples. One being when I was in a bar in Saigon... When in a drinking establishment overseas i immediately become CANADIEN if there is ANY talk of politics... Things seemed worse when Bush was in office.
Saleen, interesting remarks above which I can relate to. Certainly there is more resentment against America than any other country on earth, but that is universally directed at the country and the politics, not necessarily individual people on the street.
* I've lived and traveled Vietnam for more than a dozen years and the country itself is 100% pro-American. #1 trading partner. Crazy, considering the history and that the gov't is communist. However, regarding a couple of A-hole brits or aussies, well that's another story.
* I agree that I have "become" Canadian very often over the years, especially when traveling Nicaragua in the 90's and nowadays when in certain areas.
* I've lived/worked in Syria, both during the Bush and Obama administrations. HUGE anti-American sentiment on the streets. Hatred. But not directed to me, although most of the time when on the streets I was "Canadian."

Just my feedback.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 01:10   #33

Boat: Myra 21 - 1973 - MD2B

As long as you don't behave like you own the place you'll be fine, but that applies to any person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Well, Ive done it. I spent too much time today reading comments from world citizens about the American political situation. I know, I was reading the most inflammatory stuff. I shouldnt do that.
But Trump's latest comments on Nato and not protecting our allies really seem to have quite a few people worried.

Years ago when I travelled as a young woman I was advised to tell others I was Canadian. I never did but there was a wide held belief that being American would make me a target for hatred. I did not expereince that but being a young female traveling alone probably stopped a lot of political discussion.

Anyway, Ive never been more embarrassed to be American than I am right now. I am ashamed of Trump and his supporters but I worry that I will be lumped in with them just because we come from the same country.

Its usually my policy to avoid discussions of religion, politics and money. Basically keep my opions to myself. But I wonder if thats enough with the polical climate?

I believe most folk treat others well with and respect. Thats how I try to treat others too. But as we get out there, to places we have not been before, is there cause for concern just because we are American?
Vronsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 03:01   #34

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

The main problem with Trump is that everybody is still acting as if anything he says has any bearing on what he will do if he ever gets elected...

Trump understands the game. Until the elections you are talking to the voters, and saying what will get you votes. Once the elections over, you run the country, as much as possible to your own personal advantage, but within the limits of what is possible of course...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 04:46   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Well, Ive done it. I spent too much time today reading comments from world citizens about the American political situation. I know, I was reading the most inflammatory stuff. I shouldnt do that.
But Trump's latest comments on Nato and not protecting our allies really seem to have quite a few people worried.

Years ago when I travelled as a young woman I was advised to tell others I was Canadian. I never did but there was a wide held belief that being American would make me a target for hatred. I did not expereince that but being a young female traveling alone probably stopped a lot of political discussion.

Anyway, Ive never been more embarrassed to be American than I am right now. I am ashamed of Trump and his supporters but I worry that I will be lumped in with them just because we come from the same country.

Its usually my policy to avoid discussions of religion, politics and money. Basically keep my opions to myself. But I wonder if thats enough with the polical climate?

I believe most folk treat others well with and respect. Thats how I try to treat others too. But as we get out there, to places we have not been before, is there cause for concern just because we are American?
Interesting. The current political climate is exactly the reason I want to take a break from the US and get out!

It is truly sad that in the very large and diverse country that we live in that the two presidential candidates are the best we have to offer...and there are people living here that like them, support them and think they will make America great again...
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 04:57   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I've been made aware of ALOT of anti-American **** in my world travels. Not directed at me of course because I'm very sweet

I can cite MANY examples. One being when I was in a bar in Saigon. Three Brits approached a nice older guy and asked if he was an American. This guy was by himself 2 barstools away from me and was very pleasant. When he said yes, he was head butted resulting in a broken nose. Just like that...then they walked out.

When in a drinking establishment overseas i immediately become CANADIEN if there is ANY talk of politics. Things seemed worse when Bush was in office.
I'm calling bull on your story. At best there is a lot more to it than you were aware of. More likely it's an old urban legend you are repeating.

To the original question: Europe, middle east, s. America, india, etc..., not once have I been left with a negative attitude towards my person as an American. They may not like the politics but as a person universally positive.

The people suggesting claim to be a Canadian have mostly never traveled. Also consider this, what do you think the locals attitude will be if you tell them you are Canadian and it comes out later that you aren't. I know I tend to distrust liars and won't be as warm and welcoming.

Be polite, try to use the local language (at least please, thank you and simple greetings). Try to follow local customs. If they think you are trying, people will usually try to help.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 05:03   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiersailor View Post
think they will make America great again...
I must have missed it, but wasn't America great before the europeans arrived ?

obelix67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 05:10   #38

Just take your Second Amendment with you...(ducking for cover)..../jk

Lighten up. Having traveled to all 57 states on the Intercontinental Railroad, most recently to Caracas to shop for fine cheeses and to Hamburg's Reeperbahn to watch Merkel's migrant assimilation in situ, I can assure you that you have little to be embarrassed about due to your American-ness if Trump is elected.
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 05:12   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Safety for Americans abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Why the hell does the usa pay more than its fair share of NATO?
Because ither countries are bludging off you.

Mark

And there was me thinking it was so any war (The Red Threat) would be fought in Europe leaving US shores untouched..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 05:15   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

And there was me thinking it was so any war (The Red Threat) would be fought in Europe leaving US shores untouched..
Once someone explains to Trump that those first-line-of-defense forces over there aren't there to protect the European people, but to protect American markets for goods and services, and to protect attractive young European models who may marry rich American real estate moguls, he'll come around on that NATO financing thing...
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 06:46   #41

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiersailor View Post
Interesting. The current political climate is exactly the reason I want to take a break from the US and get out!

It is truly sad that in the very large and diverse country that we live in that the two presidential candidates are the best we have to offer...and there are people living here that like them, support them and think they will make America great again...
I with you on this one!

This election cycle, we have to choose between a criminal and a con-man.....
Sometimes I think as a country we have lost our collective minds.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 07:05   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I'm calling bull on your story. At best there is a lot more to it than you were aware of. More likely it's an old urban legend you are repeating.

To the original question: Europe, middle east, s. America, india, etc..., not once have I been left with a negative attitude towards my person as an American. They may not like the politics but as a person universally positive.

The people suggesting claim to be a Canadian have mostly never traveled. Also consider this, what do you think the locals attitude will be if you tell them you are Canadian and it comes out later that you aren't. I know I tend to distrust liars and won't be as warm and welcoming.

Be polite, try to use the local language (at least please, thank you and simple greetings). Try to follow local customs. If they think you are trying, people will usually try to help.

I've spent 2/3 of my life living and travelling outside the U.S., and can say that all this is absolutely true.

Be polite, respectful and curious, and no one will care much about where you are from, other than being curious themselves. "Respectful" includes, among other things, making some attempt at the local language, even if it is only to politely ask whether someone speaks English. It also means being sensitive to local cultural norms.

We Americans tend to make way too big of a deal out of ourselves. The world outside our borders is very, very big, and believe it or not, other people don't actually spend that much time thinking about us.

And don't lie about being Canadian. It's dishonest.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 07:28   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The world outside our borders is very, very big, and believe it or not, other people don't actually spend that much time thinking about us.
Absolutely. 99.9% of the people in the world are way more wrapped up in their own issues and problems than what's going on with some stranger from halfway across the planet.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 07:37   #44

Boat: Rafiki 37

+1 What Dockhead, Skip and others say.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 22-07-2016, 08:27   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i was at silverstone many years ago attending grand prix as an extra for flags an communications crews, and i was asked where in canada am i from. i said los angeles in proper imitated brit kinda fashion and they said they didnt realize l a was part of canada and i said we just ahnexed it lahst week. we all had a good laugh.
ok
and everywhere i go, someone is asking why is it that my fellow countrymen are so stupid. we discuss the issues and go onward in laughter.

life is serious enough without worrying about that over which we have little or no control.
if you go to town in a tank, you will have issues.
itis a good thing usa has so many checks and balances in place to keep the alleged constiututional republic from becoming a dick tatership. oligarchy or corporacracy is close enough to a bad time as ..... but we see.....
love it--hothead antiamerican vs a hothead redneck patriot.. holy hell we in for a ride.
but ye know--we get what we get--remember in 59 when jfk was running--i heard all kindsa whining about ho wbad he would be for usa--he is a CATHOLIC!!!! omy an dmarried to a BOUVIER!!! omy gods we all gonna die and th eplanet will explode.
so did it>??? hell no.
and so.. if a catholic and bouvier could not destroy this country then perhaps we might have a standing chance, IFF.....

HA HA HA HA

whoopeee we all gonna die.

but, ye know, i would concern meself over who should replace the career politishuns ruining the nation.

only thing anyone here is concerned about is the exchange rate, right now it rocks.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety