Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-07-2016, 17:17   #76

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Safety for Americans abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
Sea Dreaming, a little off-topic, but still on safety.

I wonder if you have a source for your signature contention that 100 people are killed by cows each year.

I like cows, and it makes me very sad to read this.
Its a joke really, a nod to the dairy I work for. Also an acknowledgement that land life has dangers that we are too complacent to consider.

But the CDC published a doc in 2009 that that discusses deaths for the states with the highest cattle production for 2003-2007. Out of the 2,000+ deaths over this period, 5% were attributed to cattle as primary or secondary deaths.

You can read this here. Fatalities Caused by Cattle --- Four States, 2003--2008

But if you really think about it, this is very, very low. There were 89.5 million cattle in the US in 2015. There are probably more deaths caused wild bunnies every year than cows.

Old 24-07-2016, 17:41   #77

Boat: Island Packet 40

You have to look at the Donald thing from a glass half full viewpoint instead of half empty. Wow, an Atlantic City in every US state??

There are always going to be places in the world where westerners are unsafe. It's not that many years ago that we were non persona gratia in Eastern Europe and straying into the national waters of any eastern block country in a yacht would get you arrested and maybe even gaoled and charged with being a spy.

Old 24-07-2016, 17:46   #78
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Milk probably kills 100 people per year.

Udderly ridiculous, but true.
Old 24-07-2016, 18:18   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Sea Dreaming, a little off-topic, but still on safety.

I wonder if you have a source for your signature contention that 100 people are killed by cows each year.

I like cows, and it makes me very sad to read this.
Yes I caught that one too so had to go to google to get more. Depending on which article you read up to 20-25 people are killed each year in the US by cows. About 75% of those deaths were determined to be from deliberate attacks.
Old 24-07-2016, 18:23   #80

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Its a joke really, a nod to the dairy I work for. Also an acknowledgement that land life has dangers that we are too complacent to consider.

But the CDC published a doc in 2009 that that discusses deaths for the states with the highest cattle production for 2003-2007. Out of the 2,000+ deaths over this period, 5% were attributed to cattle as primary or secondary deaths.

You can read this here. Fatalities Caused by Cattle --- Four States, 2003--2008

But if you really think about it, this is very, very low. There were 89.5 million cattle in the US in 2015. There are probably more deaths caused wild bunnies every year than cows.
A couple of noteworty items in the study. First, 95% of the victims were men, so ladies, you're still pretty safe around livestock. Not so with sharks. Bulls account for a disproportionate share of the deaths, no surprise there. And in virtually every cow case reported, the victim was annoying the cow in some way.

I've decided to remain afraid of sharks, and not of cows.
Old 24-07-2016, 19:09   #81

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Yes I caught that one too so had to go to google to get more. Depending on which article you read up to 20-25 people are killed each year in the US by cows. About 75% of those deaths were determined to be from deliberate attacks.

Sounds like bull.
Old 24-07-2016, 19:15   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
........ I am Canadian.
If you were you would understand "eh?"

The country's name is spelled

C "eh? N "eh?, D "eh?", eh?

When I went to grad school,in Hosuton, one of my classmates would not believe I was a Canuck until I said "eh?"

You would also say "sorry" much more.
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 19:23   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=rognvald;2172934]

If you feel shame as an American, it should be for the failed economic and social policies of the most incompetent man that even held the office of the president: Barak Obama-- /QUOTE]

At least you could spell his name correctly.

ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 20:01   #84

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

[QUOTE=jackdale;2173850]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post

If you feel shame as an American, it should be for the failed economic and social policies of the most incompetent man that even held the office of the president: Barak Obama-- /QUOTE]

Old 24-07-2016, 21:00   #85

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

Quote:
A couple of noteworty items in the study. First, 95% of the victims were men, so ladies, you're still pretty safe around livestock. Not so with sharks. Bulls account for a disproportionate share of the deaths, no surprise there. And in virtually every cow case reported, the victim was annoying the cow in some way.

I've decided to remain afraid of sharks, and not of cows.
The only time I have been hospitalised due to an outside agent .. i.e. not an internal system malfunction .. the outside agent was a cow ... and it was very very deliberate act on the part of the cow .. it didn't just stand on my foot......
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 21:57   #86

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I was transferred from Canada to the US in 1981 because the company I worked for at the time wanted someone with a non-US passport to travel to countries( primarily in North Africa and the Middle East) where US citizens were persona non grata and no one gave a **** about Canadians which they couldn't find on a map!
I was shot at, kidnapped twice and almost killed in a bombing in Nigeria, not because I was Canadian but because I was Caucasian.
I am certainly glad I went back to sea and spent most of my life from middle age onward cruising and running my own delivery company on the west coast.
I am very happy that I now have dual citizenship and do not travel much outside the US anymore.
However, I never felt safer than visiting Moscow a couple of years ago. Phil
Old 25-07-2016, 00:02   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
The only time I have been hospitalised due to an outside agent .. i.e. not an internal system malfunction .. the outside agent was a cow ... and it was very very deliberate act on the part of the cow .. it didn't just stand on my foot......
El Ping, what on earth were you attempting to do to that cow? I didn't think you were that type, not at all...

Jim
Old 25-07-2016, 06:56   #88

Boat: Switch 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
That's pretty harsh. Some new cruisers may not have the benefit of your experience and it can be a bit intimidating trying to figure out what it's like to take off into new countries and cultures. Not helped by some of the nonsense put out on the US news.

Maybe show a little empathy for the concerns of new cruisers.
No, its quite warranted. Politics have become a blood sport in the US and I, for one, have zero patience for people who can't help but let it take over every aspect of their lives. The response, truly as the original question also, has nothing to do with cruising and more to do with someone being pathetically myopic. Such people, on both sides of the spectrum, gleefully make life a little nastier for everyone.
Old 25-07-2016, 07:40   #89

Boat: Pearson 34-II

[QUOTE=jackdale;2173850]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post

Sorry, Jack,
It's difficult to keep track of his names . . . I do know how to spell Barry, but my Arabic is rather weak. Impossible it was a typo, though . . . right? In any respect, if you believe the information in your post, you're part of the problem. Bush was an idiot . . . Barack is incompetent. Without debating each issue of your above propaganda, the real unemployment rate in the US is closer to 18% if you count the people who have stopped looking for jobs and dropped out of the workforce. But, who's counting, right??? The sheep continue to believe the unbridled propaganda in spite of their deteriorating circumstances. The jobs losses continue, manufacturers are leaving the country, our national debt approaches 20 trillion, rust belt states like Illinois with union strangleholds have negative population growth, the stock market is no indicator of economic health but rather representative of the manipulation of the market of a fraction of professional investors compared to 2007, hyper inflation is increasing daily, recent college grads cannot find meaningful employment and are saddled with unconscionable debt . . . whew . . . I'm getting tired, Jack. But, don't let me stand in the way of your views . . . they are shared by many who continue to live in the bubble . . . that is until it finally bursts and then they wonder why??? Americans are no less safe abroad than any other population . . . unfortunately, they must now carry the negative stereotype of a nation in distress. But remember, if we fall . . . so goes the world. Good luck and safe sailing . . . I can see from your avatar that you are well strapped in!!! Captain Rognvald--safe and secure in his travels but perhaps marginally less tethered.
Old 25-07-2016, 08:12   #90

I try very hard not to get into political debates these days because so many opinions are based on emotion and not facts, but the only reason that the Dow is over 18000 is because the Federal Reserve has pumped so much free money into the financial system, institutional investors have been borrowing at almost 0% interest and spending like there is no tomorrow. I know that the current administration would love to take credit, as if it were a good thing, but as soon as they raise interest rates, that 18000 will drop like a stone.

To the Ops original point, how the US is perceived around the world has little to do with you occupies the White House, and far more to do with our foreign policy. Our actual foreign policy, as opposed to the sound bites and speeches given for public consumption.

From personal experience, I have never had any real issues when visiting other countries. Yeah, the occasional drunk sharing his views of the world and how its all the fault of the USA, but nothing even remotely close to being "targeted" due to my nationality. Personally, I don't get offended by such talk, as everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it is misguided and wrong headed. I just keep a relatively low profile, avoid places that are "risky", treat others with the same degree of respect that I wish to be treated with, and understand that people in different places do things differently.

Tags
safety

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: