Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2016, 08:30   #46
Registered User
 
Saleen411's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Discovery Bay, CA
Posts: 564
Re: Safety for Americans abroad

Quote:
valhalla360 ]I'm calling bull on your story. At best there is a lot more to it than you were aware of. More likely it's an old urban legend you are repeating.
Call bull all you want Valhalla....I've absolutely NO reason to come on this board to write made up stories.

As far as what I've witnessed in my travels....(I log over 40,000 miles a month), and that's just for work. You?......I've been doing this for over 38 years now, so you could say I've seen a thing or two.

As to Saigon....I flew that exclusively for over 7 years. However, my "story" is true and FTR, not a reflection of Saigon or anyplace else in SE Asia This particular incident happened in a bar in HCM's "Backpacker Area"....lots of cheap hotels, bars, cafes etc..mostly visited by young Euros, Aussies etc.....very few Americans. This was just ONE particular incident and I could see nothing specific that provoked the incident. Believe what you want.

My experiences as a world traveler, like what most everybody else has described, is very positive. People are naturally curious and I'm always asked where I'm from....most always with a smile on their faces. No big deal. But on RARE occasion, I've experienced, as have members of my crew, anti American sentiment, and that quite simply is a FACT.

As to the OP....VERY few places in the world have I ever felt unsafe....non issue if one uses just a little common sense.
__________________

__________________
"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"- Andre' Gide
Saleen411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 08:43   #47
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Re: Safety for Americans abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by surb View Post
Americans lack common sense and class and expect everyone to adhere to our rules when abroad and that is not how it works, sorry.
I thought that was Germans?
__________________

__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 08:56   #48
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,712
Re: Safety for Americans abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Call bull all you want Valhalla....I've absolutely NO reason to come on this board to write made up stories.

So you saw one quick exchange with no history of why it occurred.

That would be like visiting a highschool, you see a kid walk up to another kid call him a name and the a fight ensues...so you assume the school is dangerous because kids just walk up and start wailing on other kids.

Without knowing who they are, what their history is, it looks very random but in reality I can all but guarantee their is more to it. I'll give you 100-1 odds there was more to your story than guys out looking for random Americans to attack, so to bring it up creates a false impression of the safety when traveling.
__________________
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 10:25   #49
Registered User
 
TeddyDiver's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arctic Ocean
Boat: Under construction 35' ketch
Posts: 1,806
Images: 2
Re: Safety for Americans abroad

I think the name of this thread exposes the real problem. Safety of Americans? Why not safety of red heads? Absurd as it is individual safety what is the real concern. **** happens to good people and there's just so much each of us can do. Can do less, worry less and live more me thinks

BR Teddy
__________________
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 10:52   #50
Registered User
 
Sea Dreaming's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Whoo! Finally made it back to Mexico!
Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Posts: 1,450
Re: Safety for Americans abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
I think the name of this thread exposes the real problem. Safety of Americans? Why not safety of red heads? Absurd as it is individual safety what is the real concern. **** happens to good people and there's just so much each of us can do. Can do less, worry less and live more me thinks

BR Teddy
Well, Ive never heard anyone suggest red heads should dye their hair brown to avoid hatred while travelling. If that had been my concern I would have posted about it.

There is no doubt that individual saftey is the real concern. But, knowing if ones nationality puts ones individual safety at a disadvantage seems on point. Im glad this thread has put the question to bed. But there really are no stupid questions.
__________________
If toast always lands butter side down, and cats always land on their feet, what would happen if you strapped toast to a cat's back and dropped it? - Steven Wright
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 10:58   #51
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Halifax
Posts: 433
Re: Safety for Americans abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Funny, As a Canadian I feel that way now! We just came of 8 fantastic years of federal govt where we were the envy of the world! we weathered the financial crisis better that just about everyone, only to have the population do an about face and plunge us into debt over spending and just plain stupid policy! oh well at least I'll be able to legally smoke and forget about it!
Let's clarify something here. Harper came to power with an election platform that included amending the bank act to allow mergers, takeovers, and a reduction in the bank capital requirements. He was anti-bank regulation by philosophy. He was unable to make theses changes, but had he, there is little doubt we would have suffered much of the same fate that the US banking system did. His failure to enact these changes he wanted save our economy at that time.

His economic philosophy of avoiding government support of industry has a had a debilitating effect on our auto industry, and thus when oil prices collapsed left us with a shadow of our former largest manufacturing industry which otherwise would have softened the blow of the tar sands hit. Hopefully the low dollar will help it recover, signs are there it may, but jeez, an economic whiz he is not, though an economist he is.

And FWIW, I'm not sure we're heading to a better place either.
__________________
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 11:17   #52
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Victoria BC
Boat: 1980 Hunter 36
Posts: 652
Re: Safety for Americans abroad

I think your first mistake OP was reading comments on the internet...

edit: also the harper government was maybe the worst in living memory, as they not only completely trashed the countries finances, they got us kicked off the security council, burnt literally 100 years of records, tied the entire job market to a highly volatile commodity, horribly mismanaged almost every crown corporation, burnt tons of bridges diplomatically, withheld internal aid because it included condom use, suppressed/destroyed scientific research and oversaw the largest expansion of the surveillance state ever.

And as for the weathering the bank crisis 'ok' - it was entirely due to the greater regulations surrounding our banks which had nothing to do with his government - in fact they were pushing to deregulate! (which they mysteriously shut up about once the crisis hit)

Basically on any metric you care to name, they were a colossal failure. Including the economy.

Actually, the supreme court nominees were really quite good - so I'll give him that.
__________________
S/V Gudgeon
www.gudgeonblog.ca
alctel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 11:28   #53
Registered User
 
Sea Dreaming's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Whoo! Finally made it back to Mexico!
Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Posts: 1,450
Re: Safety for Americans abroad

[QUOTE think your first mistake OP was reading comments on the internet.][/QUOTE]

Yes! Its like watching scary movies before bed time!
__________________
If toast always lands butter side down, and cats always land on their feet, what would happen if you strapped toast to a cat's back and dropped it? - Steven Wright
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 11:37   #54
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Halifax
Posts: 433
Re: Safety for Americans abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
And as for the weathering the bank crisis 'ok' - it was entirely due to the greater regulations surrounding our banks which had nothing to do with his government - in fact they were pushing to deregulate! (which they mysterious shut up about once the crisis hit).
That's plagiarizing. Did you write Melania's Trump speech?
__________________
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 11:43   #55
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Victoria BC
Boat: 1980 Hunter 36
Posts: 652
Re: Safety for Americans abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
That's plagiarizing. Did you write Melania's Trump speech?
You put it a lot better than I did
__________________
S/V Gudgeon
www.gudgeonblog.ca
alctel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 11:49   #56
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 96
Re: Safety for Americans abroad

I wouldn't worry about your safety based on any concerns about your country's leadership. The wilder and crazier the leadership, the more interesting it is to talk to the citizens of the country and find out what it's really like on the inside. More people will buy you a beer in a bar. They won't assume you hold the same views.
__________________
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 14:57   #57
Registered User
 
Saleen411's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Discovery Bay, CA
Posts: 564
Re: Safety for Americans abroad

Quote:
valhalla360;2171957]So you saw one quick exchange with no history of why it occurred.
True....so? Doesn't change the fact that it did happen, and at the time, the victim was just enjoying a beer.

Quote:
That would be like visiting a highschool, you see a kid walk up to another kid call him a name and the a fight ensues...so you assume the school is dangerous because kids just walk up and start wailing on other kids.
I wouldn't assume the school was dangerous anymore than I would ASS-ume this particular bar was dangerous. That's just ridiculous.

Quote:
Without knowing who they are, what their history is, it looks very random but in reality I can all but guarantee their is more to it. I'll give you 100-1 odds there was more to your story than guys out looking for random Americans to attack, so to bring it up creates a false impression of the safety when traveling.
I do not pretend to know the circumstance of the attack. As to giving a false impression?....if you say so.:face palm:
__________________
"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"- Andre' Gide
Saleen411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 19:22   #58
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cruising the Gulf of Mexico.
Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Posts: 1,438
Re: Safety for Americans abroad

The mass hysteria that drives groups to vent frustrations on innocent individuals is common in humans.

Considering that many consider the USA to be the "Great Satan" and that many have suffered under the heels of the US war/peace keeping/democracy building machine, yes there is a bit of anti-American sentiment around this world.

Consider how an Arab in the USA was looked on after 9/11? The hijackers plotted and acted in secret yet an innocent Muslim on the street was in danger of paying the bill.

Look up what happened to Japanese/Americans after Pearl Harbor.

While it might seem just, that a man pays for his own actions, it is not nor has it ever been the way of the world.
__________________
Working on spending my children's inheritance.
Cap Erict3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 22:05   #59
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,006
Images: 5
Re: Safety for Americans abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
The single most important thing to remember when experiencing the "hate"

Trump will not put up with the USA being walked all over by other countries. I have lived in Europe for a long time and the bottom line with many of me European friends is they won't have wimp to kick around anymore.

O'Bama is an ongoing joke among the Europeans. Would you hate a Trump possibility if you had been dealing with a patsy for 8 years ?
I think your handle underscores your comment...
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 23:51   #60
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,712
Re: Safety for Americans abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I wouldn't assume the school was dangerous anymore than I would ASS-ume this particular bar was dangerous. That's just ridiculous.
Yes, it is ridiculous because most of us have been thru high school and understand kids get into fights occasionally and it likely has a back story to explain it.

The concern here is people may not have ever visited Saigon, so sharing a story that implies you can expect random violence is misleading.
__________________

__________________
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
safety

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Americans Only JanetGroene Liveaboard's Forum 76 24-01-2011 15:29
Ugly Americans Cruising Sunspot Baby Cruising News & Events 25 29-03-2009 14:32
health insurance for non-Americans nettyjetty Dollars & Cents 1 16-03-2008 09:59
Possible Insight Into Why Americans Want to Carry Guns ssullivan Health, Safety & Related Gear 57 27-03-2007 12:25


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:04.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.