Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2016, 20:03   #61

Re: Sad rant about suddenly losing my slip :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Jim, mabee he hasn't figured out that Lizzy is in the Netherlands.
Well I suppose even delicious smoked eel with horseradish can get a bit wearing after a while.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 21:34   #62

If the new owners don't allow liveaboards in their other marinas they probably want to do the same with yours.

Developing the dock with tacky waterside "executive housing" boxes for the tasteless might be the long-term plan.

Happened near me years ago. Developers bought everything and let it rot until it was an eyesore.
Local authority granted permissions based on proposed homes, shops, leisure amenities, marina, wildlife, open spaces... a landmark development to be proud of.
Only cookie-cutter tract housing was ever built because that's where the profit was.

No boats, no shops, no amenities of any kind, just a dormitory estate with "for sale" signs everywhere.

Developers are despicable money-grubbing bastards who should eat **** and die.
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 21:42   #63

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
If the new owners don't allow liveaboards in their other marinas they probably want to do the same with yours.

Developing the dock with tacky waterside "executive housing" boxes for the tasteless might be the long-term plan.

Happened near me years ago. Developers bought everything and let it rot until it was an eyesore.
Local authority granted permissions based on proposed homes, shops, leisure amenities, marina, wildlife, open spaces... a landmark development to be proud of.
Only cookie-cutter tract housing was ever built because that's where the profit was.

No boats, no shops, no amenities of any kind, just a dormitory estate with "for sale" signs everywhere.

Developers are despicable money-grubbing bastards who should eat **** and die.
Go unclemac, don't hold back, tell us what you really think.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 21:56   #64

good luck Lizzy Bell, I hope they decide in your favor.
The wifi bridge option is something i myself use. They ran fiber to everybody in the county with grid electric. Thing is, I'm off grid, solar & wind, big battery bank instead. so I set up a link to a neighbors house where I rent my own fiber port & set up my own link over wifi & it works great (until there is too much snow in the trees) THe link is 1.75 km. If nothing else you should be able to set up something similar.
Zephyrcat229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 22:27   #65

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer

Good luck Lizzy, we are pulling for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 23:30   #66

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMeilicke View Post
Good luck Lizzy, we are pulling for you.

Yes, Lizzie,

Indeed, there is much emotional support for you AND for your fellow liveaboards on CF. Not all bother to write.

I think you'll be able to work this one out, one step at a time, by being proactive.

That said, I would not fail to support the ones who suggest if it's internet work you do, perhaps a more southern latitude might do just as well, after the remaining landside responsibilities are handled to your satisfaction.

Chin up, cheeky when possible, assertive all the way.

Best wishes,

Ann
Old 29-03-2016, 02:02   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
. . . Developers are despicable money-grubbing bastards who should eat **** and die.
Absolutely. Everyone should build his own house -- don't let those money grubbers build it for us. Same with offices and retail space.

To be serious for a moment -- land development or property development is a tough business involving hard work, usually unpaid for years and years, and huge risks. If it weren't for those willing to do that work and take those risks, and only fairly rarely actually have a big payoff, our cities would look like those of China or Soviet Russia, and we would all live in two-room precast concrete apartments and shop in open air markets.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 04:21   #68

Oh my dog, those poor developers!
I've been seriously mizzled!
Is there some sort of charity for retired & impoverished property developers I could donate to?
Is it possible I might have misjudged the bankers too?
Maybe it's only fair that the poor should bear the burden of paying for those little mistakes.
How would we ever have managed if they hadn't looked after our money for us?
I've been so, so wrong!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-03-2016, 04:29   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Oh my dog, those poor developers!
I've been seriously mizzled!
Is there some sort of charity for retired & impoverished property developers I could donate to?
Is it possible I might have misjudged the bankers too?
Maybe it's only fair that the poor should bear the burden of paying for those little mistakes.
How would we ever have managed if they hadn't looked after our money for us?
I've been so, so wrong!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I'm not saying anything about bankers (not my field), but for every one developer who earned millions on this or that project, there are dozens who did not, and most of those who earned millions did so after years if not decades of unpaid work.

There are some right bastards among them (just look at the presidential race across the pond), but that's true of any profession.

In a market economy, if there is no one to develop land into houses, shops, and offices, then there won't be any, and then where would we be?

In other words, as the bumper sticker says, "If You Live in a House -- Thank a Developer"
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 04:48   #70

OK, now that I think about it... it's the lawyers who work very, very hard for those wonderful, hardworking developers I feel most sorry for.

Suppressing any respect they might feel for the communities involved they work all hours to find devious ways around those stupidly restrictive planning regulations. (joking lawyers learned in school debating society the joys of arguing the indefensible)

What good is the countryside anyway until it's built over? Just going to waste.

Those lovely waterside developments in the US that complain so much about seeing boats on their water should hire a good lawyer who will do what good lawyers do - and lie for money.
Old 29-03-2016, 04:50   #71

Boat: Ohlson 29

Whatever is going on at my marina, it has NOTHING to do with developers ...
Old 29-03-2016, 04:52   #72
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Most marinas will simply take the full slip fee for smaller boats to rent bigger slips. I didn't see that you've offered them full slip rent yet. Have you?

Many USA marinas have minimum sizes for live aboard slips and folks can often just pay up to gain the privilege of living aboard. If you haven't offered to pay the minimum (13m I think you said?) then doing so is an option.

Since it seems internet for work is your focus, getting in touch with nearby businesses and apt owners to find a place for your hard wired Internet and wifi router set up seems a very reasonable thing.

Finally there may be co-work shared workspaces available for you to rent nearby and that can take care of your internet need as well as need to socialize. There's little reason to limit yourself to the marina for social interaction--there's a big wonderful world out there.

About distance to the showers--can you just dingy over from your new slip location? Often a more pleasing way to go than walking a great distance around a body of water.

Best of luck!

Old 29-03-2016, 04:54   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Dock,
I see your point, but there are a lot of Crooks in the system, Crooks follow the money of course, and my short stint in Business has shown me what I always thought, that a large portion of "Businessmen" are liars and thieves.
Funny to hear them remark, "its just business" as that makes lieing, cheating and stealing all OK I guess.
It has left a very bad taste in my mouth, I used to have pride in my work, not anymore, now I want out as I'm no Crook and do not like being associated with them.

Now of course not all are Crooks, but on this side of the pond at least it seems many are, and one rotten apple is all it takes, seems the Crooks are the more successful ones.

Marina I'm in will go that way, we all know it. Original plan was for a nice park to be built on the shoreside of the Marina, there were plans drawn, detailed plans detailing sidewalks, statues etc.
Then the State Deeded the land to the city, suddenly the plans for the park disappeared and the meetings with the developers began.
Now I didn't live there so this is all rumor, but the last time this happened it was at the other City Marina, St Andrews, and the Mayor ended up with the Penthouse in the big Condos that got built.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 04:59   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Whatever is going on at my marina, it has NOTHING to do with developers ...

Maybe not, but have you offered to pay the difference? That may show that it isn't so much money motivated as something else.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 05:15   #75

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Yes, but they didn't even bother to give me a quote, they just said "these are the new rules, they are not up for any discussion".
So nope, offering to pay extra failed. And looking back, I'm glad it did cos:

- I just saw my new slip (someone opened the gate for me): it's the same size slip.
- Other boats (10 & 11 m) near me get to stay, and don't pay a cent extra.
- A new arrival, 10,5 meters, was just given a slip a few down from mine.

The 13 meter excuse is just that - an excuse. They're not gonna put 13 m boats in these slips, there simply isn't room and the little side-docks (what are they called in English?) are way too small for boats over 10m, 10 is really the max. size for these slips.

This isn't about a few extra euro's, this is about moving boats to fill up empty slips on the part of the marina where nobody wants to be. Even guests usually refuse or request to move.

My slip is in a great part of the marina, so it makes sense they want to move me. But - why not move my neighbors as well?