Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2015, 14:54   #1

Romantic Rhine cruise at Xmas

My friend and I are looking at doing Romantic Rhine river cruise at Xmas time (this one to be precise https://www.riuscruises.com/river-cr...2015-1035.html).
Does anyone have any comments about river cruises in general or this one in particular? Do you actually see much river scenery or is most of the travel at night? Are there many excursions included.

River cruises are more expensive than coach tours - are they good value. I really like the idea of just being able to relax a little and see the world pass by on the river.
Thanks
sammyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 13:35   #2

Boat: Mirage 35
Re: Romantic Rhine cruise at Xmas

Indirect knowledge: my wife and her mother did a river cruise (the Seine, Paris to Normandy) a couple of years ago and loved it. Small boat (maybe 150 - 200 passengers) so you don't feel like you're in a crowd and the service is more personal. Most of the travel was by day, so there's plenty of scenery, and it included stops in interesting places. I don't recall them mentioning "excursions" in the sense of what you get on large cruise boats - just the chance to visit some of the towns you pass through.

Only possible negative I can see - I have visited that area at that time of year and you want to bring warm clothing. On the other hand - assuming you're there before Christmas - you'll get the Christmas markets, beautiful scenery with a different look than what summer visitors see, lots of mulled wine.

Okay, that's it, you've convinced me. I want to go back to Alsace!
Mirage35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 13:43   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57

(Disclaimer: I'm from Mainz)
The Rhine cruise is a nice one - you go from the flat lands around Koeln through the narrow river valley between Koblenz and Bingen and see a lot of history (castles and old Roman towns). The uphill run will be done at night, but don't miss the fast return daytime journey, it is the most picturesque portion of the trip! The Lorelei is impressive today, and must have been a nightmare in days past with no engines!

Mainz and Strasbourg are worth a visit! The Mainz docks are close to the old city centre, but 4 hours is not much time all for a visit.
Old 28-09-2015, 16:42   #4

Wow, thank you guys - really rare to get such quick and helpful answers on a forum these days .

And I will make sure to visit Mainz, if not now - next time then
sammyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise