Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2011, 19:13   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Recommended Web Hosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KestrelBuck View Post
In the past I have programmed from scratch in html
[...]
So, do you know of web site hosts that will allow me to just ftp content to my domain on their server?
Wow.. you're in that 1% You have lots of choice... many go for a service like "Go Daddy".

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 05:41   #17
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by KestrelBuck View Post
So, do you know of web site hosts that will allow me to just ftp content to my domain on their server?
So far, I have not run into any hosting service that will not allow you to FTP the html up.

I hand write mine in notepad and use the free Core FTP Lite to update the site.

I have been with Geocities for a number of years. I'm to lazy to change, but if I were picking one now, I'd probably go with godaddy. Nothing wrong with geocities at all, but godaddy is a coupla dollars cheaper and the people I know that use it are just as happy with godaddy as I am with geocities.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:09   #18

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers

First off sorry if this is a bit disjointed, It's early and I am still consuming my morning coffee ration.

I feel qualified to respond. I owned one of the very first large affinity web hosts back in the 90's and I am the current owner of a enterprise business with several hundred web and application servers at 4 data centers.

First I'd agree wholeheartedly with Jedi. There are many types of computer literacy and being able to code software doesn't automatically make someone an expert in all things web hosting. I happen to be a web geek and couldn't imagine doing what Sinbad does as it has a special set of skills.

There are also no one size fits all solutions and they type of host (shared, VPS, Dedicated, Colo, SaaS) someone needs is really totally dependent on what their objectives happen to be.

For example GoDaddy would be great for someone with the most basic of needs. Blog hosts like WordPress and blogger.com are perfect for people needing blog hosting while enterprise class services like RackSpace, Peak10 and others are designed for serious businesses needing service level agreements into the triple nines.

The barriers to entry into being a "web host" are pretty low and that means that you have tons of people in the business of web hosting. Some offer great service and others have no business being in business.

You get what you pay for in the web hosting world. If you are not paying alot you are almost certainly going to be in what I refer to as a Web Hosting Slum. That means you are going to be on a shared server with hundreds if not many thousands of other websites all sharing the same limited infrastructure.

I also have a rule of thumb to avoid web hosts that claim unlimited disk space, bandwidth or anything else. Resources are always limited.

I've thought about starting an affinity web hosting service service for cruisers and sailors so I guess I would like to ask what would a "cruisers hosting service" look and feel like to you?

Sinbad! If you would please PM or post what some of your specific requirements are I would be happy to make some recommendations. I don't have any affiliations with anyone and will happily give you some no BS recommendations.
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:41   #19

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Well,thank you all for the good advice. I have been using amhosting.com since they started in the eighties but the management has changed and the help response time has become quite unacceptable and very impersonal. Their billing system is also very inflexible.

Although far from a pro.,I have been using computers and done programing since BEFORE IBM introduced their PC architecture and have created my own websites since I can't remember when, at the age of 77. See my present sites: yachtmarine.com

Sorry,not boasting,just for orientation....

Tore
Old 03-04-2011, 08:04   #20

Sinbad,

What type of hosting do you have there? Is it shared hosting or do you have a dedicated server? are you needing a specific control panel (ie CPanel, Plesk, DirectAdmin)?

How long are they making you wait for support help?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:17   #21

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

offline..

I am using shared hosting, plesk for windows.
Have a user dashboard.

Quote:
Part of my web pages uses an older version of php and I had great problems when my web host changed to a new php version which was not downward compatible. Hate to have to re-program but they switched me to an alternative server.

Tore
Old 04-04-2011, 02:36   #22

Go daddy.
angela micinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:02   #23

Sinbad

If you absolutely are not ready for recoding due to a new PHP version then You may be a candidate for VPS (Virtual Private Server) or a dedicated server. But those both have significant cost bumps over what you are paying. I think that superb.net offers Windows VPS that is on the lower end of the cost spectrum.

Going to VPS or a dedicated server gives you absolute control over the installed environment and would eliminate compatibility issues that crop up with the updates that are sure to come up.