Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2009, 06:28   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Rare New Year's Eve 'Blue Moon'

Look for a large round object in the sky that’s, errr, moon-coloured.

A "Blue Moon" is the second full moon in a month*, an event that occurs every two and a half years but tonight’s blue moon is even rarer, occuring every nineteen years.

* A full moon occurred on December 2Nd and will again tonight.

The New Year's Eve Blue Moon will be visible, conditions permitting, in the United States, Canada, Europe, South America and Africa. For partygoers in Australia and Asia, the full moon does not show up until New Year's Day, making January a Blue Moon month for them.

Because the Earth will be close to its January 2Nd perihelion, and the Moon to it’s January 1St perigee, the Moon will be a little larger and brighter than normal tonight.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to ALL !!!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 06:31   #2
ROK

Boat: looking for a liveaboard cruising catamaran for a family of 5
Thanks for sharing. We'll be sure to check it out!
ROK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 06:47   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROK View Post
Thanks for sharing. We'll be sure to check it out!
Ditto...thanks Gord.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 07:07   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Thumbs up Blue moon

Got a good look at it on the way to work this morning. Didn't even need the head lights.
Old 31-12-2009, 10:04   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Just saw it...its almost white its so bright.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 10:44   #6

Actually

A blue moon is the third moon when a season has 4 moons in it. However most people do consider it to be second moon in one month. This moon is the first moon of the winter season.
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 10:58   #7

Boat: 1975 tartan 27
Fun trivia fact: the "current" definition of a blue moon is actually less than 70 years old, and only entered popular usage in 1980. Prior to 1946, the definition was rather different and more obscure. Each season normally has three full moons. Each of these moons has a name. If there are full four moons in a season, then the extra full moon is referred to as a blue moon.

Our current definition ("second full moon in a month") can be traced to an article in Sky and Telescope magazine from 1946, wherein the author misread the Maine Farmer's almanac. The definition became popular after it was mentioned on the Stardate radio show in 1980. Ironically, the mistaken article from 1946 was discovered by none other than the very same Sky and Telescope magazine, as they were researching an article about the origin of the phrase "blue moon" in 1999.

Wikipedia article

svpuresail.com
ad_astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 12:24   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Oh boy...stay off the roads tonight.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 12:42   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Thanks blgklr & ad_astra, I believe you’re right, though (believe it or not) that was before my time.

I will be on the road tonight, going to New Years dinner.
Fortunately, my abstaining, Sargent-Major in the Ontario Provincial Police, son-in-law will be driving.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 12:56   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Tis true

Just popped outside, yes its a full and a very bright moon, sadly southern England has a light cloud cover tonight so we aren't getting the full effect. Anyway happy New Year folks.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 12:59   #11

Boat: Island Packet 380
Serving "Blue Moon" beer tonight for New Year's Eve to mark the occasion
sweetsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 13:42   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
And this is the very reason why I am considering renaming my boat "Blue Moon II" as the relaunch was a long time coming (7+ years) and finally occurred during this moon phase.

None of the other 10,000+ plus names I considered over the past few years seem to fit but suddenly as the boat floated off the slip, this name came in from left field and feels about right. I won't go into the reasons for rejecting the previous name but they are (were) significant for me.

Its New Years day here now so Happy New Year to all and a big thanks to every person who posted something in 2009, its the posts that CF what it is.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 14:09   #13

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 36 - Rapport
To bad there is alot of cloud cover here in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay, but I now know it is up there.

May we kick 2009 in the ass and welcome 2010.
Old 02-01-2010, 19:11   #14

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
And this is the very reason why I am considering renaming my boat "Blue Moon II" as the relaunch was a long time coming (7+ years) and finally occurred during this moon phase.

None of the other 10,000+ plus names I considered over the past few years seem to fit but suddenly as the boat floated off the slip, this name came in from left field and feels about right. I won't go into the reasons for rejecting the previous name but they are (were) significant for me.

Its New Years day here now so Happy New Year to all and a big thanks to every person who posted something in 2009, its the posts that CF what it is.
Blue Moon II. "...this name came in from left field and feels about right."

Yes, I like it! I've gone thru and lost more 'boat name' files as old computers died, than I care to remember. I retain a few names over the years but, always sorta thought that the right name would suggest itself at the right time, after I met the right boat. Congratulations on the SPLASHING of your boat and Happy New Year! Jon

btw, I was wondering. Was the last blue moon on Dec. 31st 365 years ago? I missed astronomy and physics classes and always felt poorer for it.
Old 02-01-2010, 19:34   #15
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
Blue Moon II. "...this name came in from left field and feels about right."

Yes, I like it! I've gone thru and lost more 'boat name' files as old computers died, than I care to remember. I retain a few names over the years but, always sorta thought that the right name would suggest itself at the right time, after I met the right boat. Congratulations on the SPLASHING of your boat and Happy New Year! Jon

btw, I was wondering. Was the last blue moon on Dec. 31st 365 years ago? I missed astronomy and physics classes and always felt poorer for it.
Thanks SE
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote