Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2017, 14:06   #1

Rant : Unhelpful Suggestions

I know you are just trying to help, but your suggestion that someone do a search or a custom google search or whatever, not helpful.

Might as well just say "I don't have an answer to your question" and leave it at that. Basically that's what you are saying. Better yet, just don't comment at all because no one really cares if you don't know about something someone wants to know about.

Have yet to see someone follow up and say "gee, I never thought of doing a search before but after you mentioned it I did one I found all the answers I was looking for. Thanks!"

Ever wonder why that is?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 14:32   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Rant : Unhelpful Suggestions

Sometimes I mention that many discussions of a particular topic may be found here via the search function. But I also provide links to a couple of good examples to get the pump primed. Hope you find that helpful.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 14:35   #3

Links great! Telling someone to search? Not so great in my opinion. Save your breath.
Old 13-07-2017, 14:41   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

I agree with all the above but I also think something people do is far worse - that being, some provide incorrect or simply bad advice as declarative statements. It wouldn't be that much of a disservice if they would preface their comments with an "I think" or an "in my opinion" but they do neither.

As one example, yesterday in a discussion about battery types, someone clearly gave some wrong advice and when asked about it by 2 different people, simply failed to acknowledge his error.

We are all here for one of two reasons: to either learn or to teach.

People like the guy mentioned above do neither.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 14:43   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

G'day Delancey,

Well, that's an interesting take on it. I am certainly guilty of suggesting that a lot. It is because: 1) I am not in the job of doing others' homework for them, and, nor, of spoon feeding them, or showing off; AND, I am on a limited data plan.

2)More important, it is impossible for me to evaluate the data from the point of view of someone whom I have never met;

3) I have a life stance that says it is better for people to develop their independence than not.

The other issue here on CF is that the two search engines are different, the regular Search has limitations not found on the CF Google Custom Search, and within CF, often the latter will serve the person better. Imo, for new members, it will serve them much better, because it avoids frustration and takes them more easily where they want to go.

If my making that suggestion is a problem for you, just put me on ignore. Incidentally, I have had private communication, though not many, thanking me for the suggestion, and so I will continue to make it, where I think it is appropriate.

Ann
Old 13-07-2017, 14:49   #6

Boat: Colegate 26

Sometimes people aren't aware of the extra google search built into the site.

But I gotta tell you, I've only been using the site for about six months and I'm already sick of the repetitiveness myself. It's a problem all web forums I've been a part of have had going back to the '90s.

If someone starts a new thread attempting to discuss a rather well covered topic, there needs to be an easy way to either merge them into an existing topic, or link to various older threads.

Even this topic has been discussed, at length, here and on other forums. There's even a website that essentially jabs at the topic.

https://lmgtfy.com/
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 14:57   #7

Not targeting any specific individuals. You know me, if I was I would just come right out and say it instead of beating around he bush.

Just seems like half the time someone suggest someone else do a search their remark is yeah, tried that without success, now I am asking.

The other half of the time seems likes someone really wants to be helpful and can't stop themselves from commenting, even though all they have to offer is the suggestion someone trying searching...

http://www.letmegooglethat.com
Old 13-07-2017, 14:59   #8

Boat: None

New people are gonna ask the same questions the old people asked when they were new. That's just how people do. I'm pretty much with delancey on this one.

I think a bigger problem is the knee-jerk rudeness when someone pipes up on a long-dormant thread. I mean, a year from now, when A64Pilot's Code 0 thread has been dormant for many months, it's perfectly possible that a new person might ask a question that leads many people to some new learning. But within minutes a snarky comment about dredging up ancient history will become a conversation ender. Sad.
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 16:13   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Ah...Maybe this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dumb Questions.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	151870  
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 16:18   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Cluing someone in on the google custom search is often a good way to help them. However, one may have an answer to a question and it is obvious that the person has done NO work what so ever to find the answer. In those cases I generally ignore the question.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 16:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
In those cases I generally ignore the question.
Old 13-07-2017, 16:52   #12

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Links great! Telling someone to search? Not so great in my opinion. Save your breath.
There are links and then there are links
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 16:54   #13

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum View Post
within minutes a snarky comment about dredging up ancient history will become a conversation ender. Sad.
Just the other day somebody offered up advice for an old post about an emergency wind generator electrical problem someone was having in Panama City, Panama. The advice was to call somebody in Florida.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 17:22   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Off topic but so what. What I hate is someone asks a specific question and after giving an answer they say did this, did that, did another thing. Would have been real helpful if they had stated that in the first place.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 17:59   #15

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

In the words of the greatest philosopher of our time, George Carlin, " whoever said there is no such thing as a dumb question was a f.... idiot"
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote