Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2017, 18:09   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Rant : Unhelpful Suggestions

Hey Delancy, there are a couple of other threads on this topic, why don't you do a search
Old 13-07-2017, 18:10   #17
Marine Service Provider

Just kiddin'....... I actually agree with you and it sometimes gets a little tedious getting answers to questions that were not asked.
Old 13-07-2017, 18:11   #18
CLOD

Boat: none

People just like to post stuff, doesn't mean it is useful

See I proved it!
Old 13-07-2017, 18:17   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I know you are just trying to help, but your suggestion that someone do a search or a custom google search or whatever, not helpful.

Might as well just say "I don't have an answer to your question" and leave it at that. Basically that's what you are saying. Better yet, just don't comment at all because no one really cares if you don't know about something someone wants to know about.

Have yet to see someone follow up and say "gee, I never thought of doing a search before but after you mentioned it I did one I found all the answers I was looking for. Thanks!"

Ever wonder why that is?
I've received several "Thanks" after explaining to someone how to use Google Custom Search on this site.
Typical comment: "Comment: Thanks. I've also never had good luck with searches on this site. Now I know what I am doing wrong."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 18:58   #20

I've learned the hard way, suggesting a search.

It would be helpful if they said they did already. Most don't.

I have found, after more than 15 years on boating forums, that questions are repetitive. The "I ain't a especrt on elektricity" is too recurring to even mention. None of us was born an electrician. I've typed that one thousands of times. Only because the poster didn't bother to do his OWN homework and research, or buy a BOOK.

So I did this: Electrical Systems 101 Electrical Systems 101

It starts out with:

Over the past decade or more, "regular" electrical topics come up repeatedly. In developing responses to questions, many of us use the handy links to earlier discussions. I've developed this "Electrical 101" topic, which is a group of links to popular subjects and those discussions. Many of them include links to other websites and message boards, since boat electrical systems are not boat-specific. Many thanks to Maine Sail, not only for his contributions to this message board, but for his "Musings with Maine Sail" on www.catalinaowners.com

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowner...play.php?f=135 and his own website: Welcome To MarineHowTo.com Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

You could buy a few good books (see Reply #7 below), or you could read this stuff. Good luck.

Some here have actually used the link in answering questions.

Forums have discussions as well as asking questions. STEADY HAND has had great success in explaining the use of the Google search function in a positive way.

But sometimes it's frustrating. If someone can run a sailboat, maybe they could learn how to use a website.

Maybe not.

Teach a man to fish...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 19:25   #21

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I know you are just trying to help, but your suggestion that someone do a search or a custom google search or whatever, not helpful.

Might as well just say "I don't have an answer to your question" and leave it at that. Basically that's what you are saying. Better yet, just don't comment at all because no one really cares if you don't know about something someone wants to know about.

Have yet to see someone follow up and say "gee, I never thought of doing a search before but after you mentioned it I did one I found all the answers I was looking for. Thanks!"

Ever wonder why that is?
The Google search on this site does not work from my Samsung Galaxy Tab. If I'm interested in using Google I'll use Google straight away on chrome
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 21:19   #22

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'm on a page much akin to Ann. Especially when it's obvious that the OP has done zero research on the topic, & wants to be spoon fed. And or, the same exact topic is concurrently running in 2 other threads, or has come up already 3 times in the last 3 weeks.

It's one thing to fix something for someone (give them an answer, especially if only one answer of many possible ones), it's another to fix it with them, so that they learn how it works & how to diagnose issues with it in the future. As well as things which fall into the categories of; "wise to do/preferred" (& why), "okay to do/not ideal", "iffy", "stay away - Danger Will Robinson, Danger!". Along with the reasons behind which puts each option into said specific category, & when, etc.

Personally I tend to want to get assistance with learning how to fix a thing, rather than the having someone fix it for me. Especially as when I'm learning about something/fixing something, I come across a lot of alternative options for each sub-issue that contributes to both the diagnosis & the fix. Which expands my overall knowledge base a lot, thus allowing me a lot more options in problem solving down the road.

And the exact same thing is true if someone does their own homework on an issue, they learn about a multitude of interrelated topics, & options. As opposed to being handed 1 answer... to a problem for which there may be hundreds of them. But that without searching for answers on their own, they'll never know they exist.

Yes, ideally, those answering the questions of others with "go search" would direct their search a bit, or give them links. But we're all human, aside from sometimes having short fuse days, it's quite appropriate to tell seekers to go & do their own homework.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 22:01   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
But I gotta tell you, I've only been using the site for about six months and I'm already sick of the repetitiveness myself. It's a problem all web forums I've been a part of have had going back....rl]
There is nothing new under the sun...they said the same thing about cave paintings...what another deer or antelope.....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 07:50   #24

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Maybe we could add some common search terms rather than doing the search for people??
Old 15-07-2017, 09:03   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Rant : Unhelpful Suggestions

I will sometimes give someone a sort of answer and then mention to them that a search would be helpful, reason is they will learn a whole lot about the subject if they read the threads a search will bring up.
If I give them an answer, they learned nothing and maybe my suggestion doesn't fit their needs either.
For instance, someone the other day asked about Hookas, if a Brownie etc was a good one or not. I mentioned that I rolled my own and saved hundreds, and mentioned someone had just done the same, and had a good thread telling you how, a search would turn it up.
I think if they searched, there is enough out there on Hookas that after you spend some time reading, your educated enough to determine what your needs are and indeed even what the cost will be.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 09:57   #26

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I know this is funny but a lot of folks really don't know how to write an effective google search. When you do search you often end up with a thread that have 70 pages of information to dig through, much that is not useful. What is useful are moderators that go back and put links in the first post to the useful responses in large threads, which for the most part they do not do.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 10:02   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I know this is funny but a lot of folks really don't know how to write an effective google search. When you do search you often end up with a thread that have 70 pages of information to dig through, much that is not useful. What is useful are moderators that go back and put links in the first post to the useful responses in large threads, which for the most part they do not do.
Don't know if a moderator can determine what's useful to me.
Old 15-07-2017, 11:29   #28

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

I feel some of you miss an important point. That being posters want to engage with other people, not Google. Everyone knows they can search, but a forum is about human contact over the internet. I mean if we were all sitting around talking crap at a boat club over a few beers, and someone wandered in the door and asked a question, it would be really rude to say piss off and lookup Google.

Of course there is endless topic repetition, so what? Isn’t that the nature of conversation? We endlessly talk about the meaning of life, solving the world’s problems, the uselessness of young people. Just get any half dozen guys in their 60s together around a bar and listen to the crap they talk. We have an interest in boats, so we talk crap about boats.

And if no one engages with the forum then its use diminishes and before you know it; basically no forum. You must have all noticed that a relatively low number, (of the thousands that visit each day), of people actually post. Have you ever wondered why that is?, Well I think fear.

I was terrified of posting a message the first year of two of being a visitor. And I think many people share my fears.

So please, please, encourage questions and opinions, even if they are repetitive, or even if in your view the question is stupid. And be especially welcoming of new people.
Old 15-07-2017, 11:48   #29
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
I feel some of you miss an important point. That being posters want to engage with other people, not Google. Everyone knows they can search, but a forum is about human contact over the internet. I mean if we were all sitting around talking crap at a boat club over a few beers, and someone wandered in the door and asked a question, it would be really rude to say piss off and lookup Google.

Of course there is endless topic repetition, so what? Isn’t that the nature of conversation? We endlessly talk about the meaning of life, solving the world’s problems, the uselessness of young people. Just get any half dozen guys in their 60s together around a bar and listen to the crap they talk. We have an interest in boats, so we talk crap about boats.

And if no one engages with the forum then its use diminishes and before you know it; basically no forum. You must have all noticed that a relatively low number, (of the thousands that visit each day), of people actually post. Have you ever wondered why that is?, Well I think fear.

I was terrified of posting a message the first year of two of being a visitor. And I think many people share my fears.

So please, please, encourage questions and opinions, even if they are repetitive, or even if in your view the question is stupid. And be especially welcoming of new people.
You know when thinking about it while dodging the work of installing a new sink, counter top and faucet in the galley.....I have to agree with grandma.

Cruising is a lot about the great people out doing it, so that should include talking to real cruisers and seeking help and advice from them also! No one should feel nervous or too "new and green" to reach out and ask questions...if so we are not being good ambassadors to what cruising is all about!!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 11:54   #30
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I haven't joined Google yet, I only have the trial version, and like all the forums, you can't use the search function until after you join.

;-)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote