Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2012, 18:00   #46

Re: Question on boat suitability

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
The boat won't do what you asked. Now were looking cheap and capable. I'm thinking alberg 35 or something . These with some good rigging and care will take more then you can. given your prior choice maybe a realistic starting point. If someone wants to pay a grand to wear a helmet and bark at the moon from my bow send me a pm.
I would not pay a grand, but if someone wants to pay me I am listening to offers. Been out of work a while, and am getting the feeling that this is going to be trickier (more expensive) than I thought.
magnaubera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 18:09   #47

Boat: O'Day 28

"how small is too small and how big is too big? " Come on, man.

Here's a start: Cruising on $500 per Month . . . No offense sir, but you don't seem to know enough to be able to have a real discussion here. I say do your homework first. Your question about the Viking ship was answered.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 18:10   #48

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnaubera View Post
.... but how small is too small and how big is too big?
Really, only you can answer that question for yourself. You have to start looking. Become familiar with the various models and styles, what the more popular choices are...and some of the more legendary, reliable choices...like the Arlberg that was suggested....

Check out Yacht World .com....enter your parameters and search to see what's out there....and there are other sites as well to check out.

For Example....here a nice Morgan 382 for $50k....strictly an example I grabbed to show you....so just start looking....and looking.....and looking.

Here's some good news for you....right now is probably the best time in history to buy a boat! The market is flooded with good used boats at incredible prices...it's a buyer's market and you can offer less than they're asking, sometimes by a significant margin depending on many factors.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 18:17   #49

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
"how small is too small and how big is too big? " Come on, man.

Here's a start: Cruising on $500 per Month . . . No offense sir, but you don't seem to know enough to be able to have a real discussion here. I say do your homework first. Your question about the Viking ship was answered.
What's wrong with that question? It's clearly something he needs to think about since the first thing he looked at was a 60' dump.

I think 60' is WAAAY tooo big.. Just not sure how small I'd be willing to go myself - Maybe a 36' mono.. Probably not any smaller.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 18:23   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnaubera View Post
55 now. someday I should get SS, but with things now a days who knows.
Everyone has their preferences, but I personally wouldn't retire on $150,000 at 55 and also spend some of that on a boat. I think there are a lot here that would from other topics I've seen, and I just hope we won't be paying for their care later with our taxes..

I don't think though it would be that hard to find a boat that can work from you and take any kind of work you can get when needed to make some income. It seems there are always places hiring, just not always the jobs people want - but when the poop hits the fan.. gotta do what ya gotta do..
Old 13-03-2012, 18:31   #51

Boat: O'Day 28

The $500 thread is packed with good info and lengthy discussions of appropriate boats. I was trying to be helpful. The bottom line for me is self sufficiency.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 18:34   #52

Boat: PETERSON 44
Read mingming and the art of .... Google it 20 foot corribee but he is very experienced you are not.

So were I you I would look at simple tank boats that are not money pits. You also need to understand that you can be your own money pit and get caught up in top flight crap.

Everyones favorite Moiteisseur had far less then top flight. What he had was composure at sea. For a start look at Alberg don't let the high tech folk scare you. Don't buy a junk dream. Know that we have seen a bunch like you dream and fail. No one wants that.

Ocean sailing is very different from most peoples land life and nothing translates well unless you are kin to that life. So forgive what looks like trashing. That is the nature of sailing. Maybe it's something that is in you but rid yourself of the Viking hat and your past.

What do you want to do? If sail then plan out what will work. Do not jump because you are not satisfied with your current position.

It's an open field and when I say dont I mean my experience you choose. That is cruising, you choose and live on how well you chose.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 18:34   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
The $500 thread is packed with good info and lengthy discussions of appropriate boats. I was trying to be helpful. The bottom line for me is self sufficiency.
I agree.. we've got enough people in this world relying on others..
Old 13-03-2012, 20:26   #54

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I caught this thread a little late I guess.
Check out the two links after my signature for boat recommendations. Others may disagree but I like the 32-36 foot size in fiberglass with a diesel engine and sloop or cutter rig. I do prefer an aft cockpit but some prefer mid so the choice is up to you.
Good luck in your quest.
kind regards,
Old 14-03-2012, 05:47   #55

Re: Question on Boat Suitability

Nope. I'm not buyin' it. I'm still thinking troll.

If I'm wrong, I apologize and wish you the best of luck, magnaubera. But at this point I'm just not buyin' it.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 22:07   #56
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix

Everyone has their preferences, but I personally wouldn't retire on $150,000 at 55 and also spend some of that on a boat. I think there are a lot here that would from other topics I've seen, and I just hope we won't be paying for their care later with our taxes..
Let's see... If the OP buys a boat for $30,000, and then cruises on $1,000 a month, which is actually a fairly tight budget regardless of what the $500-per-monthers will tell you, by the age of 65 the OP will be 100% broke.

Math. It even applies to cruisers.
Old 15-03-2012, 04:39   #57
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Let's see... If the OP buys a boat for $30,000, and then cruises on $1,000 a month, which is actually a fairly tight budget regardless of what the $500-per-monthers will tell you, by the age of 65 the OP will be 100% broke.

Whilst not a $500-per-monther (well, not yet!) I don't recall folks in that thread claiming that $500 a month was not a tight budget. Nor claiming that it is possible for everyone to live on that or anywhere. Actually most of the thread is simply about kicking around ideas for being able to do that, so that larger budgets can be stretched - not neccessarily actually being $500 hardcore.

In OP's case, if he avoids Viking longship wrecks and instead buys wisely then IMO his budget is quite feasible - if he is also willing / able to supplement his savings by earning money, at least sometimes.

Personally I would go on your $30k figure for the boat - say $20k for the purchase and the rest on a refit (not a rebuild!). The rest to help pay for his own learning curve on living cheaply and to keep most of it in reserve for a change of circumstances or plans (IMO no point betting the farm on something that "you" may not actually like doing / living).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 10:53   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

The economy is bad, maybe the OP should go cruising for a year or two then look for work again. Spend minimal money on a 30 footer. Maybe $10k. Put on minimal necessary equiptment and cruise the Bahamas or further. Buy a boat that is resellable. There are Cat 30's available for as low as $7500 with diesel engines, and they are always popular. Put an outboard bracket on the rear to hold the dingy outboard and it will suffice as a redundant motor if the diesel fails. This doesnt have to be an all or nothing decision....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 06:41   #59

I did some exploring and saw a few boats I liked, but one that is smaller (as advised), and that I really dug. I found one for sale, and I think I am in love (or at least as much love as a man can have for plastic).

Compaq 25

It is quite a bit more expensive than the first boat, but this one looks like I could jump in and sail to the Bahamas tomorrow.
magnaubera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 09:54   #60

The compaq is a nice little boat. $35K??? Wow... I would never pay that for a 25 foot boat. A lot of boats around for that.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote