Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2012, 10:34   #1

Boat: looking
Puerto Vallarta Charity

Some things that you see in life just break your heart. We recently had our hearts broken when we stumbled upon a charity that is operating in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. The charity is well known as "Families of the Dump".

The beneficiaries of the charity our a group of families that make their living taking items from the local dump and recycling. The charity has been operating for seven years and has made a considerable difference in the quality of life for the families. However much more is needed.

Please check out our latest blog if you would like to learn more. PacificSailors.com: VIDEO | It's not all palmtrees and sunshine.
Old 13-12-2012, 11:34   #2

Re: Puerto Vallarta Charity

I'm in La Cruz, and in the wee early hours (before the cruisers are awake for their morning cocktails) there's a ~70 year old lady who goes through the trash and picks out the recycling and then hauls it up the cobblestone streets in a cart. I've since seen her hauling scrap lumber and other items.

I'd like to get my daughter (two and a half) some exposure to Mexico outside of the yachtista belt; hit me up if there's any trips out to those areas. I'm mainly available on the weekends and we're car-less here so we typically take the municipal busses or a taxi.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 11:42   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Puerto Vallarta Charity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mike View Post
Some things that you see in life just break your heart. We recently had our hearts broken when we stumbled upon a charity that is operating in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. The charity is well known as "Families of the Dump".

The beneficiaries of the charity our a group of families that make their living taking items from the local dump and recycling. The charity has been operating for seven years and has made a considerable difference in the quality of life for the families. However much more is needed.

Please check out our latest blog if you would like to learn more. PacificSailors.com: VIDEO | It's not all palmtrees and sunshine.
I know a couple who are very, very actively involved with children and famiies at the Puerto Vallarta dump. They were members of our Rotary club, and she went down to work full time at it, while her husband sold his interest in a couple of local Dairy Queens, and is down in PV now also.

What a small world!