Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2010, 15:00   #136
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
The US govt has been getting by with just borrowing money when ever they need more....an example that too many of it's population have thought would work in the private sector. One of these days someone is going to ask for it back (China holds $1.7 trillion of the US debt alone). As more and more people who where living comfortably with their credit debt building but a resoanably secure job to pay it off now no longer able to pay it off...as more and more individuals personal economies crash it is reflected on the overall economy. Eventually it is all going to come together, and I don't want to be anywhere near that fan.
Old 14-12-2010, 15:11   #137

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
The US govt has been getting by with just borrowing money when ever they need more....an example that too many of it's population have thought would work in the private sector. One of these days someone is going to ask for it back (China holds $1.7 trillion of the US debt alone). As more and more people who where living comfortably with their credit debt building but a resoanably secure job to pay it off now no longer able to pay it off...as more and more individuals personal economies crash it is reflected on the overall economy. Eventually it is all going to come together, and I don't want to be anywhere near that fan.

I don't either really but it is not just the US.

Over use of credit is world wide.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 15:16   #138
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"(China holds $1.7 trillion of the US debt alone). "
Secured, or unsecured?
Secured by what, or if unsecured, what happens if they say "You give me trillion dollars now, yes?" and the US simply says "No, we're defaulting. It's unsecured, good luck with that."
?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 15:20   #139

Boat: grampian 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
"St.Peter don't call me cause I can't go, I owe my soul to the company store"
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 18:57   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"(China holds $1.7 trillion of the US debt alone). "
Secured, or unsecured?
Secured by what, or if unsecured, what happens if they say "You give me trillion dollars now, yes?" and the US simply says "No, we're defaulting. It's unsecured, good luck with that."
?
It happens. Loans between nations aren't usually secured. I think typically when a nation gets into that situation they renogiate the loan. The big impetus is the crash of your credit rating, devalueing of currency and subsequent inflation.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 19:32   #141

Geez - we seem to have had a serious case of thread drift. What happened to the discussion of how to make your own rum and the required quantities of nubile breeding stock? (leaving aside that too much of the first might hinder the enjoyment of the latter)

That unexplained - and possibly rogue - missile launch did remind me of a place to to look for guidance on the breeding stock questions. Sure enough - 10 women for each man if you are in a mine shaft. I would think that the OP could use the same ratio on his boat. Found it right here. Skip ahead to 3:30

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 20:26   #142
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
thanx carlf for pointing out the thread drift and general USA bashing in the last few posts,if any thing it wont be the US that sparks things off it will be some sillly little country like bosnia with the assasination of a random duke or dignatary in some where silly like sarajevo.

but more importantly on the subject of nubile women and rum on has to find a balance as too much of either could mean trouble,as many south americans will attest to,no wonder those guys sleep all day,is it the rum or too much sex at night?

if we are going to find a new world order we need to pound out a few guidelines so as not to recreate the mistakes of the past.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 20:53   #143
Eternal Member

Back to the original thread a well equipped ocean cruising boat is almost completely self-sufficient..the only weaknesses being a heavy reliance on high tech gizmos. So if civilization does crash, those on boats will be alot better off and will be able to sail to corners of the world less effected.
Old 14-12-2010, 21:07   #144

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Civilization might crash, but who cares? I am betting that it won't, and I am betting it all. Just like everyone else has for thousands of years.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 21:22   #145
Eternal Member

On thing about living on a boat, even if you can't say "I"I told you so" you are still in a much more pleasant circumstance
Old 14-12-2010, 21:29   #146
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
and change your neighbours and neighbourhood at will
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 15:50   #147
CLOD

Boat: none
I say when the world crashes the most valuable thing on your boat is going to be .................................................. .a fishing pole!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 16:07   #148
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I say when the world crashes the most valuable thing on your boat is going to be .................................................. .a fishing pole!
I'm in DEEP DO-DO then....
I don't eat fish....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the_thinker.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	22019  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 16:11   #149
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm in DEEP DO-DO then....
I don't eat fish....
but do you know any Poles?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 16:15   #150
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
but do you know any Poles?
Come to think of it.... YEAH... there's a couple work at 'The Ragged Staff'..... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote