Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2011, 12:14   #1

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale
Pranks and Practical Jokes... What's Next?

Okay, so this friend of mine and I have had a running prank battle going for a while now.

Most recently he was in the Bahamas on a boat with someone else. I went to his marina and hoisted a huge rainbow flag, with a big yellow smiley face in the middle, up to the top of his mast. It flapped there for two weeks before he came home. I'd also taken a really neat sunset shot of the marina, to include his boat and the flag, and submitted it to the local television station weather pics contest. They actually put it on the air; now that was extra funny.

Anyhow, by the time he got home the flag had wrapped around the halyard several times. This required him to climb the mast to get it down.

So a month or two later he agrees to meet me for a sail in Tampa Bay. I motor out the I-275 ditch where he meets me. My first clue was that he has never before in his life been on time for anything, yet here he was... early.

So, up goes my main. I let loose the roller furling and pull out the headsail.

About halfway up pops out the rainbow smiley face flag. It had been pinned to the leech and rolled back up inside the sail remaining unseen until now.

It was so high up, that there was no way to get it down underway.

Later on that evening we anchored in the Manatee River. When I rolled the headsail back in, the flag remained attached to the leech, flapping happily for the next couple of days. I finally had to haul my skinniest grandson up with the auxiliary halyard to un-pin the flag. He thought that was a blast.

A different time I had taken a handful of spare parts. I found an old broken spring, half of a clevis pin, two stainless steel washers and a nut. I simply tossed them on his foredeck ahead of the main mast. He spent days climbing and inspecting stuff while I drank his beer.

Then there was a time when I started to untie my docklines and let loose the cleat hitch knots... Superglue- DANG, I've been had again...

I'm beginning to run out of ideas...

Anyone with a great suggestion would be most appreciated.

Ahoy!
Old 17-03-2011, 12:32   #2

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Re: Pranks and practical jokes... what's next?

Dangerous games., things get out of hand.
Once upon a time I worked someplace where these things went on. It was funny to start with but in the end lives and finance were in peril.

As for the rainbow flag, you might attract some gay attention.
Old 17-03-2011, 12:33   #3

Boat: Cabo Rico

Beer in the water tank?
Rotten bananna in the head...
Let your imagination be your guide
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 12:45   #4

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

No good can come of this. End it now! or by this time next year you won't have a friend and will be in court with your lawyers.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 12:54   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

One of our friends who is a waiter, works with several other people who are pranksters. One of their all time favorites is a bag of shrimp and milk in a container under a seat in a car during august in Houston.
One of my favorites is to short sheet the covers of drunks!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 13:06   #6
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh dear. I thought pranks were meant to be funny...? Surely you can be more imaginative than that?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 13:27   #7

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale

WE have been best friends for over 20 years....

Some of you folks seem to have some really black clouds hanging over your heads, I was hoping for a couple of good suggestions here.

How do I delete this thread?
Old 17-03-2011, 13:29   #8

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

Have to agree these things tend to take on a life of their own and a friendship can be lost. However, I laughed 'til it hurt at the story of scattering some stainless hardware on his foredeck....nice move.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 13:31   #9

hey tie line of small test fishing line to his keys when hes not looking then proceed (woops i think i knocked your keys in the drink well on that note im going to go) then go to your boat watch the fun and wait for him to get on his wet suit and then pull them up, or wait for him dive and pull them up so when he comes back up there sitting in his sit. If there any electro gadgets on his key ring abort mission. lol
kcchampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 13:47   #10

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannen View Post
WE have been best friends for over 20 years....
1. Pull a wire on his bilge pump and open a seacock and let fill with sea water to the floor boards. Again drink his beer while he sorts it out.

2. He comes back with a little black water in your bilge...

3. You come back and cut all but 3 strands on his backstay and suggest going out for a sail

4. He comes back and untheads all but one of your keel bolts. The last bolt is left to hang on 1/2 thread. You go sailing..

5. You pour fuel oil in his bilge and set it on fire just before he arrives at the marina.

You both suddenly realize you are no longer friends and need new boats. Each hires a lawyer to fight with the insurance companies.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 13:52   #11

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"

I am a gunsmith by trade and back in my days at Colorado School of Trades the tossing of an extra screw, spring or pin in a box containing a disassembled firearm was a common occurance. One fellow took one gun apart 3 times before we couldn't keep the giggles under control and we were busted............m
Old 17-03-2011, 14:01   #12

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

A bullet hole decal just above the water line.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 14:10   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

having relatively novice crew on a regular basis onboard can allways lead to mischief,of the search for a left handed screw driver,elbow grease,and we need a sky hook to get up the mast variety.

but invariably you will all ways every now and again get one that is far too serious,takes themselves and life in general far too seriously for their own and everybody elses good and harmonious living on small boats.

i think we all know the type i am reffering to...,we will call him MIKE........

any way long story short,cruising in relatively shallow waters,moonless night,brilliant phospheresence,dolphins turn up on my watch leaving arrow straight glowing trails around the yacht as we ploughed south.

at the end of my watch noting the dolphins had been coming and going every half hour our so,woke up MIKE,and handed the helm over and briefed him on the course etc,then mentioned that we were entering a SUBMARINE TORPEDO TRAINING AREA.........and not to wake me unless it was a dire emergency........which he couldnt as i went and hid on the aft deck.

you can guess the rest.........but myself and the other 7 crew he woke up had a good laugh on him after had backed all the sails and was shouting "ABANDON SHIP!!!!"
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 14:13   #14

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

The flag is one thing.

The nuts and bolts is another.

I can think of the them but I just don't appreciate practial jokes so I don't play them.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 14:16   #15

i worked in a plastics place as maintenance man, and all of us have are job boxes (a small tool box you put all the common tools) well we had some lead bars that would just fit in side the tool box (i bet they weighed between 60-80 lbs and there only like 3" X6" 16" )
so go to get your tool box thats 25-30 lbs and all of the sudden it 80 -100 lbs funny for everyone to watch

Ps this war ended badly and all most cost two of my co-workers there jobs they filled a guys locker with orange hand cleaner, plastic bbs and, zinc powder. With a launch contraption i mean this thing was full of stuff and the boss was right behide the guy when he opened it and i was nasty.

casey
kcchampion is offline   Reply With Quote