Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: See the question in the first post - this spot is too short
Yes 3 10.71%
No 25 89.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2014, 04:36   #16

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38
Re: Poll - Unrelated to Sailing

The original post was "The question is: "does a reasonable, prudent person (an average person) feel that what they do/post/share on Facebook is private?"

I voted yes. If you assume most people are somewhat prudent then they are just delusional. Certainly there can't be that many idiots out there, or are there? I guess it is how you define prudent and reasonable.... Now people like me are a bit more than prudent, (and some would say unreasonable), and have never had a Facebook account. I don't trust any of them. As Raindog pointed out nothing you tell 200 people is private. There are two different issues there. On Facebook you just get slammed twice, by Facebook, and by your own stupidity.

Just like this or any other forum, what you post is out there for all to see. What is generally missing on forums such as this is the data mining, data manipulation and sophistication and of course the ubiquitousness of Facebook, and people on this forum don't usually brag about whose wife they bonked, what store they robbed, etc.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:44   #17

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Just say no to Face Book. I get plenty of advertising just from CF....I really don't mind but I will not be purchasing a new anchor in any case.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:56   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

FB's entire business is based on profiting from the information you provide (much like this place). So it would be foolish to assume that anything, including "private mail," is actually private.

Besides, telling 200 people something clearly removes any possibility of privacy, no matter what the medium.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:04   #19

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

No way private. Even if you have the privacy settings set there is still a way I believe and do not think it is private. I will admit once or twice I have vented out but heck its there if people wanted to read it. No one is forced to or I feel it compromises who I am. It also shows how a person really is when reacting to such stuff. If they show interest or just walk away.
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll, sail, sailing