Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2014, 15:35   #46

Boat: Various
Re: Please Explain What a CRUISER is in Your Book..

I don't understand any limiting of the term, "Cruiser". It's simply someone who travels on a boat for pleasure. We have adjectives available for additional definition if needed. Such as Live aboard cruiser, full time cruiser, sailboat cruiser, powerboat cruiser, part time cruiser, occasional cruiser, cruise ship cruiser, one time cruiser, former cruiser, future cruiser, hopeful cruiser, ocean cruiser, lake cruiser, world cruiser, small boat cruiser, megayacht cruiser, pontoon cruiser, go fast cruiser.

To me all cruisers should be respectful and welcoming of all those groups and they also should not feel better or worse than other cruisers. We're just different. I'm not better because I cruise 280 days a year. Just more fortunate than those who can't do that and have other things I do the other 80 unlike the full time cruisers. If it's a 14 foot rowboat and they enjoy the water even if they only row two or three miles, then they're welcome. I admire those who have other commitments and are only able to take their families out two weeks a year, at least they're spending that time cruising with their family. I still consider the former regular cruiser who now spends nearly all their time docked at their home marina because of age.

Let's not try to redefine cruiser by assigning it some limitations that by definition it really doesn't have. Let's consider all part of our community of cruisers. Let's keep the term fully inclusive and not start excluding those we don't think meet some definition we create anew. It's one thing when sailors and powerboaters tease each other but when either puts the other down, whichever is doing it, I'm bothered. Also if we stereotype any groups based on a few persons then we're making a mistake.

Any attempt to start excluding people as cruisers stands to cause real damage to this forum as well. This is a "Cruisers" forum and that includes all types by any definition. It's not full time cruisers, or sailors, or North American cruisers, or Australian cruisers. We're all here because we have a common love for the water. That may be the only thing some of us have in common. But that brings us together. In fact, by being developed as "Cruisers" forum, the owners chose an all inclusive word. They chose other terms for more limiting forums. There are hundreds of boating forums. This is by name the most inclusive of all and should be kept open, not just by definition, but by actions and treatment, to all cruisers. And if it's a new cruiser who doesn't yet own a boat, but was on one recently and now dreams, then he's a future cruiser and let's open to him as well. Let him experience through our words how great it is and prepare to be an active cruiser himself.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 06:22   #47

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Page 306
Para 2b
article 342 section c

I guess he can
Well good to know all these complicated rules about who can be a "real" cruiser are documented somewhere...now I know specifically what to ignore. :-P

Man, its nice here today in the San Blas...wonder what all the real cruisers are doing?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 08:57   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Well good to know all these complicated rules about who can be a "real" cruiser are documented somewhere...now I know specifically what to ignore. :-P

Man, its nice here today in the San Blas...wonder what all the real cruisers are doing?
Paying their yearly dues.
Your bill is in the Mail..................
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 10:04   #49

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

What cruisers are not.
Cruisers are not bums on a boat, even though they may occasionally look scruffy.
Horticulture onboard is not required.
Cruisers are not the folks with the generator running at 10pm in a quiet anchorage.
Cruisers are not the folks who anchor so close they might as well raft up.
Cruisers are not the ones who have no tools or spare parts.
Cruisers are not the folks on a schedule.
Cruisers are not the folks who rock every one coming and going from the anchorage.
Cruisers are not the folks who cant read a chart.
Etc. Etc.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, lease