Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2008, 15:54   #91

Now Gord, I at last found a post of yours with which I did not agree - so please don't go down any track that has even a sniff of my having to agree on this one too, it will spoil my day .

But yes, man has the POTENTIAL for being rational. You and I are, of course, examples that prove that .

Whoops, I've agreed. Now that has spoilt my day .

John
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 21:46   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertcateran View Post
Enjoy your addictive bliss to the liquid hydrocarbon while you can. Your economy has no chance of long term recovery until you come to terms with the unsustainability of the present system. Meanwhile I'l keep my cholestrol and blood pressure down
Well Robertcateran I was in fact visiting the country you call home as a tourist. Even flying on the airline regarded its your national one as we always do and burning your hydrocarbons, rather than our own, as we travelled.

Now I can understand someone of your ideology being against the transfer of wealth into your country by wealthy visitors that tend to wish to fly places rather than walk and who eat meat instead of muesli but I have to tell you, and assure others who may also wish to visit that interesting and hospitipal country, that your attitude is one of no consequence amongst your countrymen.

That as we have always been treated extremely well by rational well meaning people when visiting, which we do quite often whether that be for business or pleasure - it seems then that I have never met you.
Old 22-12-2008, 23:53   #93
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
I think you are stretching the bow much more than a bit if you are claiming "rational capacity" for all in mankind.
Classic

Merry Xmas
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 03:12   #94

Thanks David_Old_Jersey, I'll certainly do my best in the Christmas merryment department .

You have a very Merry Christmas there too - you strike me as being a person who will make sure that you do .

John
Old 25-12-2008, 02:29   #95

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
Well Robertcateran I was in fact visiting the country you call home as a tourist. Even flying on the airline regarded its your national one as we always do and burning your hydrocarbons, rather than our own, as we travelled.

Now I can understand someone of your ideology being against the transfer of wealth into your country by wealthy visitors that tend to wish to fly places rather than walk and who eat meat instead of muesli but I have to tell you, and assure others who may also wish to visit that interesting and hospitipal country, that your attitude is one of no consequence amongst your countrymen.

That as we have always been treated extremely well by rational well meaning people when visiting, which we do quite often whether that be for business or pleasure - it seems then that I have never met you.
It is interesting that you answer an argument with a reflection on my ideology, setting up a straw man argument rather than a response to the statement.
As a practicing scientist (algal physiologist) I have a reasonable grasp of some of the issues involved in the way we are influencing our environment.
There are problems with acidification of the oceans which will directly influence our coral reefs. This is evidence from high school chemistry and direct experimentation. I am assuming you do not have much regard for the long term viability of these ecosystems. In that case, we do differ in ideology. Please google ocean acidification to get a decent grasp of the subject before putting it down as some nutty greeny rave.

I am not averse to technical change. In fact technical change is what I am advocating to help get out of the mess. Instead of continuing to burn liquid and solid hydrocarbons adding to the problems of extra CO2 in the atmosphere and thus into the oceans, we should be moving to lower emissions technology. You seem more locked into dated technology in being unable to see any alternatives to continuing down the same path.
Economically, both Australia and the US will need to get away from their addiction to liquid hydrocarbons if they expect to balance their trade with the rest of the world, and unless they can balance their trade, no amount of stimulus packages will get themselves out of their financial hole. Possibly you are rich enough to be insulated from this and thus it is of no concern to you.
I have had personal experience in dealing with a young killer whale that had jammed its intestinal tract with plastic bags. This does not necessarily confirm the hypothesis that plastic bags are a problem but for me it was a bit of a wake up call, and I now notice them a lot more than I used to.
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote