Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2015, 21:31   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Plastic in Pacific Ocean Gyre

> Australia? Plenty ...but once again rarely shopping bags - disposable lighters, toothbrushes (??) and jandles... never in pairs..always just single jandles.. seem to top the list.

Aussie walking along the beach sees his mate coming towards him wearing one thong (aka jandal (sp!) or flip flop) and says:

"G'day mate! Lost a thong?"

Mate answer: "Nah, just found one".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 23:06   #17

Boat: Catalina 30

SailBender said: Per capita, Americans account for a hell of a lot more pollution than any country in Asia...

But it does come down to sheer numbers of people.
Too many people=>Too much pollution
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 23:43   #18

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
> Australia? Plenty ...but once again rarely shopping bags - disposable lighters, toothbrushes (??) and jandles... never in pairs..always just single jandles.. seem to top the list.

Aussie walking along the beach sees his mate coming towards him wearing one thong (aka jandal (sp!) or flip flop) and says:

"G'day mate! Lost a thong?"

Mate answer: "Nah, just found one".
Ooooh ... I thought it was a shortened form of 'Japanese Sandle' ... oh bugger.... maybe I just can't spell.... I'll just stick to calling them Red Sea seaboots.

Ping the Disslecksick
Old 21-09-2015, 23:46   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Ooooh ... I thought it was a shortened form of 'Japanese Sandle' ... oh bugger.... maybe I just can't spell.... I'll just stick to calling them Red Sea seaboots.

Ping the Disslecksick
Ashley, it's "Japanese Sandal" (or "Chinese Workboot")
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 00:27   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Ashley, it's "Japanese Sandal" (or "Chinese Workboot")
Oh, is that how you spell 'sandal'.... all these years I've been spelling it rong.... wonder what else I carnt spel.... maybe my schoolmates wern't laughing with me but at me...
Old 24-09-2015, 11:30   #21

Local market started giving incentives for people to bring reusable bags instead of taking plastic ones. Vary rarely do I forget to bring one of the dozen canvas bags I have.

I can't imagine banning them nationwide would be too horrible though it might put some companies out of business which would suck.
LeLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:40   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Just got my wife a set of S/S drinking straws.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:45   #23

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Plastic in Pacific Ocean Gyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeLY View Post
Local market started giving incentives for people to bring reusable bags instead of taking plastic ones. Vary rarely do I forget to bring one of the dozen canvas bags I have.

I can't imagine banning them nationwide would be too horrible though it might put some companies out of business which would suck.

Here in the S.F. Bay Area, we’ve had to bring our own bags for 3-4 years now. We don’t get an incentive, if you don’t have a bag...10 cents for a paper one. Just recently plastic straws were banned, I bought some of the SS ones also.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:24   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

STOP LITTERING. funny how stuff only comes to ocean after it is tossed out of the hands of a HUMAN.
gotta love how the folks with enough dough to buy separate garbage bags mandated for disposal of garbage and trash are the ones denying the folks with lesser income and limited incomes, who count on reusing the shopping bags as garbage and trash bags, the ability to re use these items as such. think about it. hoas demand bagged trash and garbage., garbage removal folks demand bagged trash, and sailing, one saves bagged trash and garbage for dispo in next fuel stop containment.
just stop littering.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:14   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
STOP LITTERING. funny how stuff only comes to ocean after it is tossed out of the hands of a HUMAN.
gotta love how the folks with enough dough to buy separate garbage bags mandated for disposal of garbage and trash are the ones denying the folks with lesser income and limited incomes, who count on reusing the shopping bags as garbage and trash bags, the ability to re use these items as such. think about it. hoas demand bagged trash and garbage., garbage removal folks demand bagged trash, and sailing, one saves bagged trash and garbage for dispo in next fuel stop containment.
just stop littering.
I certainly get (& agree with) your point; but in many locations (including mine) garbage left in cans may be in reused shopping bags - only unenclosed bags, left on the street, and recyclables, must be of a prescribed type

Old 03-02-2019, 10:27   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

gord you are inside usa, yes??? it is required here to bag all trash even in cans. amazing how the lowest income folks are the worst damaged due to the demands of the rich creating criminals out of that which is used most often, instead of forcing accountability. really responsible isnt it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:29   #27

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeLY View Post

Plastic supermarket shopping bags were recently banned in New Zealand. The world didn't end.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:22   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm on Lake Superior, in Thunder Bay Canada.
Here, we can use any bag (or none) inside a garbage can; but when left out on their own (not in can) the city requires heavy duty garbage bags. I haven't noticed them enforcing it, though. I've left out 1 or 2 grogery bags (/w garbage inside), and they were picked up without comment. YMMV.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:59   #29

I always thought the eastern South Pacific was reasonably clean... apart from the occasional abandoned yacht washing up on the Patagonian shore....

Then I saw this..... https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-an...lastic-pacific

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-H...10?imgmax=1600

Much seems to be of 'maritime' origin...

Hmmmm ... "grogery bags"... do they hand them out in sly grog shops?
Old 03-02-2019, 18:21   #30

Boat: Gemini 3200

I wonder why jurisdictions which ban single-use plastic grocery bags don't also ban plastic trash bags, which are always larger and heavier than the grocery bags.

Grocery bags may or may not be single-use. I use them to carry home my groceries, to wrap food in the refrigerator, to carry assorted small items, and to line wastebaskets at home. My grocery bags get at least two uses, sometimes more.

Trash bags, on the other hand, are generally used just once, when they are filled with garbage and discarded.

The amount of plastic trash generated around the world is a serious problem, but banning plastic grocery bags and straws is not going to do much to ameliorate it.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Pacific Ocean