Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2009, 09:28   #1

Pirate Hunters - Reality TV show

TV show to track U.S. Navy's battles with pirates

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A day after the violent rescue of a U.S. ship captain from Somali pirates, a cable television channel on Monday said it will air a reality show about the U.S. Navy's mission to stop piracy off the coast of Africa.

Producers and the Navy have been in talks for three months about the show, which is titled "Pirate Hunters: USN" and is expected to air as a one-hour special in the fall on Spike TV.

The Navy will allow cameras from Spike and 44 Blue Productions to capture life aboard warships USS San Antonio and USS Boxer as their crews search for pirates.

On Sunday, Navy snipers shot dead three Somali pirates holding cargo ship captain Richard Phillips captive off the coast of Somalia. Pirates abound in the region, where civil conflict complicates efforts to control the age-old scourge.

"By all accounts it will get worse, pirates will get more deadly and certainly the Navy will try to counter that," said Rasha Drachkovitch, president of 44 Blue Productions.

So far, most of the known fatalities involving Somali piracy have involved the pirates themselves: hostages are by most accounts well-treated and released unharmed, usually after ransoms are paid.

If "Pirate Hunters: USN" is successful, it could return as a mini-series on Spike, Drachkovitch said.

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis; Editing by Bob Tourtellotte and Eric Walsh)

TV show to track U.S. Navy's battles with pirates - Yahoo! Canada News
Scottie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 11:23   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Thunder Dome may be just around the corner.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 11:28   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Good...another show worth recording to my DVR. I got tired of show with the crab boats and reruns of Ramsey's Kitchen.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 13:39   #4

Sounds like exciting stuff
Hope it airs in the UK
anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 14:54   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie2 View Post
The Navy will allow cameras from Spike and 44 Blue Productions to capture life aboard warships USS San Antonio and USS Boxer as their crews search for pirates.
You must be joking! So there's this bunch of sailors on the foredeck getting suntans and Hi Mom cut in their crew-cuts.

"Hey, Youre Late for watch!"
"Sorry, I'm just oiling my bicepts for the camera......"

Men: This it the Captian Speaking: When the cameras are rolling and you shoot a pirate on no account scream YIPPEE

The Director:
OK Captain, stop strolling! I want more of a swagger across the bridge and can you do a little cuss as you look out the window? Maybe can we put a spitoon here?

Captain why the hell did you shave today? Didn't you hear me about the Bogart look?

Is that the biggest gun you have? Can it bang louder?

We MISSED that! Can you shoot him again?????????

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 14:14   #6

Boat: Riviera 35
The new show will be called: I'm a Pirates' Hostage - Get me out of here! (Preferably without shooting me in the process).

The hostages (thereafter being celebrities) will appear together on a new Big Brother Pirate Special.

The hosts will be Danny Davito and Johhny Depp.
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 18:25   #7

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! thats great I love Mark's post, on a more serious note it might teach hollywood to stick with fiction and documenteries after they see a few pirates get shot and maybe get shot at. I really hate the movie people sometimes because the whole time they are on the ship the captain and crew will be more worried and stressed than usual because they have to keep the camera crew alive. But I can't wait for them to interview one of the snipers, that will be great I can see it now:

Cameraman: "Do you see them yet, where are they? We want a good shot with the camera so the people watching can see it."

Sniper: "Shut the $%#@ up you %$#@^&* #$% (* #$%@#, get out of the way or i'll shoot you, I don't care if you see it or not MOVE YOU @# $%^$% @#$^&."

Cameraman: "So you killed the pirates and rescued the crew, do you feel any remorse for what you did?"

Sniper: " No I don't it's what I was trained to do and I deal with it."

Cameraman: "What did you feel when you shot the pirates?"

Sniper: "Recoil."