Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2006, 17:52   #1

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50
Perth, Australia Visit

Any sailors in Perth Australia have comments on things a visiting Canadian shouldn't miss? I will probably be there for a couple of weeks in Nov, half business, half fun. Unfortunately, the visit will be by plane, not boat.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 21:43   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I am not from Perth, or even from Western Australia - hell, I live several thousand miles away, but I have been there a few times. Its a nice part of the world. If you like wine, you should visit Margaret River, which is a town a couple of hours south of Perth, which is surrounded by some great winerys. On the way ther, or back, you could check out The Bootleg Brewery, which is a cool micro-brewery with restaurant and some really good beers. There are cool markets at Fremantle, which is a half an hour south of Perth. You can catch a ferry out to Rottnest Island, which is a pretty spot and has some good snorkelling. If you like scuba diving, there is some great diving, although I haveonly done a couple of dives over there. There are some nice restaurants around Subiaco area (suburb not too far from centre of Perth). You could see a game of cricket
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:36   #3

Boat: Beneteau 473
Perth

I live in Perth.

Stop of at "Little Creatures", a bar in Fremantle with great beer and atmosphere and Fremantle Saling club.
I'm out the country (in Saudi) at the moment otherwise I'd meet up with you.

Leighton
Leighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:14   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Perth is a nice capital, with all its bars and amenities, but if you want to swim rather than surf, you will need to go down to Busselton, which has the best swimming on the coast. The diving there is great as well, with the frigate HMAS SWAN , and also the jetty - one of the best dive sites I have visited. Bit far for a visit by day. Vassse Felix winery a little further south is also well worth a visit.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:13   #5

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Zippy,
Lived in Perth and then Freo for 20 years.
In November the summer run of twilight races will have started at each club. I've no doubt if you pop along to either Perth Flying Squadron or South Perth Yacht Clubs or Claremont Yacht Club (or even Fremantle Sailing Club but that is wetter on the ocean) by say 5.30 pm on a Wednesday evening and ask for someone to sign you in and find you a ride - you'll enjoy an evenings sail and BBQ's after. Get your hotel to organise a cab to get to each.
On Thursday same same at Royal Perth or Royal Freshwater Bay or if I'm right, also East Freo Yacht Club - none are as stuffy as they sound. Just don't be shy - smart casual dress - don't wear a hat in any club bar - and be prepared to buy a few beers after.
You'll also find some clubs have afternoon white sail races and usually there is a need for crew. Royal Perth and South Perth on Wednesday, Fying Squadron on Friday.
If you go to the Fying Squadron or Freo Sailing Club you could chance using my name - 'John Allison said to pop in and I'd be able to get a ride' - assuming of course anyone remembers who we were!
Cheers
JOHN
Old 05-10-2006, 12:40   #6

Quote:
Lived in Perth and then Freo for 20 years.
hence the boats name presumably!
Old 05-10-2006, 14:34   #7

Thanks for the suggestions Swagman.

I was reading your "boring" log. We were in Mallorca a couple of years ago (by plane again) and dreaming about how nice it would have been to be there on the water rather than up on the road, but it really is beautiful either way.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:08   #8

Sydney also

We will be spending a week in Sydney on the way back from Perth, so any recommendations of highlights in Sydney would also be appreciated. The harbour appears to be highly populated with pleasure boats looking down from Google Earth. Hard to tell how many are sailboats though.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:15   #9

Wink

Rottnest Island (http://www.rottnestisland.com) is a beautiful and interesting place to explore if you are looking for something else than clubs and pubs
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:03   #10

In Sydney,
try to attend a concert in the Opera House
Eat at Doyles
go boating on the Hawkesbury River
Swim on the beaches north of manly (def not Bondi beach its full of "very friendly men" and kiwi's.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:01   #11
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Theres also an old bar, I think they told me the oldest in Sydney, that is also a microbrewery, there in Sydney. Wish I could remember the name....
but they make their own beer and have some good stuff.

Tags
Australia