Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2010, 14:33   #46

Boat: Fortuna, Island Spirit 400, 40ft. Catamaran - S/V One White Tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I don’t think that this is a suitable topic for discussion on the CF, nor that it will lead to anything but anger, discord, and hurt.
I agree with Gord.
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 16:51   #47
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
I agree with Gord.
I don't

No matter the motivation for the original question. and the fact it has no answer I think a fair topic for discussion and appropriate given it impacts on how folks could / do fund their cruising.

My take is that the Bumfrazzles were not cyberpanhandlers (Payal sailors?) as they provided a product in exchange for cash. Kinda like the difference between begger and busker. The motive for each is not always what it appears. They didn't need to be buskers, they simply enjoyed it. Many buskers aren't beggers with a musical instrument.

To my mind a cyber begger is someone who simply adds a paypal button on a website that says "pay for my lifetsyle" or wraps it around a worthy cause. The former I see as a deluded f#ckwit and I doubt gets any donations. The latter I see as a parasite - and I hope most can smell it when seeing it.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 21:13   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
as has been said several times but is worth repeating...you don't have to give a dime if you don't want to. I'm MUCH more disturbed by the people getting unemployment checks for 2 years who refuse to go look for a job. That's MY money they are stealing from me. Those are the real bums of our society. As the owner of my business, I am forced to pay into the unemployment system while denied the right to collect anything on the money paid in my name.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 21:48   #49

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Judging others will only cause you pain.
It won't hurt them, only you.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 08:12   #50

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
As the sying goes 'I was born with b*gger all, and Ive still got most of it left'

I did it my way
I think I'll agree with this statement. I'm happy with where I'm at, and happy with the way I got here.

Some people don't earn their way in the world and there's no point in getting twisted into knots over it.
Old 19-07-2010, 09:06   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
... I'm MUCH more disturbed by the people getting unemployment checks for 2 years who refuse to go look for a job...
Where is it that you live, where the unemployed can get benefits for a period of two years, and without actively seeking work?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 10:57   #52
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
- Website services and providing content is an expense, and DONATIONS are a reasonable way of paying for it.
- Since this is not a bona fide charity, the IRS still needs to be notified.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 16:25   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Where is it that you live, where the unemployed can get benefits for a period of two years, and without actively seeking work?
USA.
They have cut it back to 19 months recently but are trying to extend benie's 6 more months.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 18:46   #54

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
isn't begging the world's second oldest profession?

And how would it hurt me if someone I don't know chooses to give money to someone else I don't know?

GO BUMFUZZLE!
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 19:00   #55

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkd View Post

What I'm trying to get at is; Where as individuals, do you draw a line (if any) between someone doing 'advanced marketing' (as David O Jersey suggests) of a story or panhandling.
Personally I find it rather vague.

John
The line is simple. You draw it at one providing you a service/good and the other simply asking for a handout. Do you have any idea how much work has gone into the Bumfuzzle site? The guy has written hundreds of thousands of words, has built a following, and has religiously updated the blog. He's written a book that is also sold on their site. They are industrious and entrepreneurial. The reality is that they have provided entertainment but also really interesting information and in some cases education, sacrilegious as that may sound to some.

The unbelievable thing is that they put all of this information on their site for free. Countless hours, days, weeks, months, years of updating their blog is all there to read for free. Only if you feel you have been entertained or educated or both would you feel compelled to send them money. They don't bombard you with ads, etc. If you feel they have given you something, you pay them. If not, you don't. Name another "business" that lets you use the entire product and then decide whether or how much you are going to pay.

I can't for the life of me see how someone could have a problem with a person writing about cruising, providing information/education and then asking only for donations rather than a paid subscription. Maybe it is a generational thing, as you said. I tend to doubt that, though.
Homespun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 19:18   #56
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homespun View Post
The line is simple. You draw it at one providing you a service/good and the other simply asking for a handout. Do you have any idea how much work has gone into the Bumfuzzle site? The guy has written hundreds of thousands of words, has built a following, and has religiously updated the blog. He's written a book that is also sold on their site. They are industrious and entrepreneurial. The reality is that they have provided entertainment but also really interesting information and in some cases education, sacrilegious as that may sound to some.

The unbelievable thing is that they put all of this information on their site for free. Countless hours, days, weeks, months, years of updating their blog is all there to read for free. Only if you feel you have been entertained or educated or both would you feel compelled to send them money. They don't bombard you with ads, etc. If you feel they have given you something, you pay them. If not, you don't. Name another "business" that lets you use the entire product and then decide whether or how much you are going to pay.

I can't for the life of me see how someone could have a problem with a person writing about cruising, providing information/education and then asking only for donations rather than a paid subscription. Maybe it is a generational thing, as you said. I tend to doubt that, though.
good post!!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 19:19   #57

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
well said Homespun!
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 19:59   #58
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Last week I did the revisions on a 3,000+ word article for which I'm being paid $1.00 (USD) per word. The original manuscript took about 5 hours to write, and the revisions took maybe an hour and a half. You do the math.

Bumfuzzle has spent many many many hours putting together a free blog that cruisers/adventurers can enjoy. He provides satisfied readers the opportunity to buy him a pizza. Again, do the math.

Once you've done the math, realize that not one of my readers will object to what I'm being paid for my article. Why not? Because for the most part it will be paid for out of advertising revenues, and my readers don't think this costs them a dime. Of course, the next time you purchase one of the products being advertised in the magazine for which I've written....

Here's what's awful about how I earn money: if you don't read my article, and even if you don't subscribe to the magazine that publishes me, you'll still contribute to my livelihood the next time you purchase a product advertised in that magazine.

Here's what's cool about how Bumfuzzle earns money: if you read his blog daily, month after month, and learn a great deal from it, you still don't have to buy him a pizza.
Old 21-07-2010, 07:09   #59

Boat: 1973 Hughes 25
Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource
Nobody is obligated to follow the "work your ass off, 9 to 5, and finally get to live when you retire" employment model. Many of us, especially baby boomers, were raised to believe this was The Way. It is A way. Not THE way. People are slowly waking up to realize it does not have to be so. The Bumfuzzles decided that model was not what they wanted and are actively living their lives the way they believe it should be lived; however, instead of lauding them for breaking out of the mould, seizing their freedom and possessing an enterpreneurial spirit, others are, instead, heaping scorn, derision and judgement upon them. I feel this is extremely petty, smallminded and meanspirited. It's saddening, but not surprising, as the cruising community contains the full cross-section of society, just like all other communities.

You may say, "Well, I HAD TO work at an unrewarding job for X number of years, because of X, Y or Z", and this may be true. The forks in the road of all of our lives lead us all to different places. We make our choices. Would you begrudge them their choice because it was different from yours, especially in light of the fact that it harms no one? The people who give to them, give freely and of their own volition, and out of a sense that they are either getting something from them for their money, or they just plain feel a connection to them and, feeling flush with money at the time, choose to give them a hand. There is no harm here.

Society told many of us that working forever and waiting for our pension before being allowed to live as we would want was the responsible thing to do. From school at an early age on into the workforce everywhere, at every turn we have been conditioned to live in a way that is most convenient, and profitable, for society. If we fell for it (and we did too for a time), then that is on us. There is no need to misdirect your ire at the Bumfuzzles for not doing what we did. Anyone who would accuse the Bumfuzzles of behaving shamefully would have us restricted by society's roles for us, and to that I say: #### that!

There are situations I have been in - almost losing my Dad to a massive bleed in his brain, as well as being rocketed nightly by individuals who wanted me dead - that have impressed upon me how fragile life is, and have opened my eyes to how we squander the precious gift we are given on a daily basis. Do what makes you happy...what fills your life with joy. If you are not happy in what you are doing, you are Doing It Wrong. Change it. There is always something to be done for it that will move you closer to what you want to be doing, need to be doing, should be doing, even if the step is an infintesimal one. To spend ANY amount of time in negativity toward others for living their lives, if it is in a way that is not hurting others, is a massive waste of your time, their time, and the time of anyone else who ends up listening to it. Not only that, it is a disservice to yourself. Instead of looking at how you could change your life to live it as would make you the happiest, you instead become focused on the daily workings of others' lives, negating any chance of introspection and self-realization. Your life, and the life of your family, is too important for that.

As well, in response to one post I have seen in this thread, I am wary of judging a person based on outward appearances. Until you sit down and talk to that person, you don't know the circumstances of their life. Things are very seldom as they appear.

In short....GO BUMFUZZLES!!!! (We will be joining you on the seas just as soon as we work out the details...lol)

Cindi
nosinglesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 07:29   #60

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Nice post Cindi!