Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2007, 16:13   #1
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Question Parting Out

I was thinking. Yeah yeah I know hold the laughter down a lil'.

What if you were having a hard time selling your old boat. Do you think you'd get more, less or the same if you parted it out and sold everything on e-Bay?
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 16:14   #2

less, it seems most people I've meet don't want used
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 06:26   #3

Boat: Catalina 27
Depends on what parts you have to sell and the price of the boat. I have seen a few boats go for less than the sum of their parts, but these were very inexpensive boats. I have often thought this would be a good way to get an cheap engine to rebuild.

(In fact, if anyone is trying to give away their atomic 4...)

What parts do you have? An inboard motor, winches, mast and sails.... Don't forget the scrap value of the lead in a keel.
Old 13-05-2007, 12:49   #4

Boat: C&C 27
There may be several factors involved. What is the value of the boat compared to like hulls? Were there enough hulls sold to give value to the parts that are specific to that boat? Is there parts on the boat that can be scapped or resold like monel or lead? In general I would guess that most boats would sell for more intact than as scrap. Also you have to make enough on the scap to pay to have someone haul off the hull. In anycase there is a guy ion our fleet who's boat was damaged badly enough to justify selling it off in parts rather than try to repair it or sell it.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 13:16   #5

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Had aconverasation yesterday with a professional boatbuilder. He said the cheapest way to get a new boat would be to buy 2nd hand, strip everything off it and build a new hull, then reassemble. Another good idea is to design a boat around the rig of an existing highly competitive class, then buy 2nd hand sails etc for peanuts.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 17:18   #6

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
SELLING

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz

What if you were having a hard time selling your old boat. Do you think you'd get more, less or the same if you parted it out and sold everything on e-Bay?
Yo Rick,

if you were having THAT hard a time selling it, DROP THE PRICE!!!

"Had aconverasation yesterday with a professional boatbuilder. He said the cheapest way to get a new boat would be to buy 2nd hand, strip everything off it and build a new hull, then reassemble. Another good idea is to design a boat around the rig of an existing highly competitive class, then buy 2nd hand sails etc for peanuts."

Yo Dana,

you have been given some mighty poor advice.

Once you had stripped all the old obsolete crap off the used boat, you would simply have a pile of used crap to start with.

It's actually the OTHER way around. Once you buy a used boat to refit, you wind up replacing almost everything BUT the hull!

There is certainly no need to design a boat around an existing racing rig. There already IS a design. And second-hand sails can already be bought at bargain prices through outfits like Sail Exchange.

Complete suitable used rigs are much more difficult to ferret out if you need a replacement for a different model. But I have seen it done successfully by one extraordinarily lucky individual. Once.

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2007, 04:39   #7
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova
Yo Rick,

if you were having THAT hard a time selling it, DROP THE PRICE!!!
Oh no Andy, just a hypothetical question. I don't think we'll have a problem selling our boat. I was reading an article on stolen cars a while back and they were quoting some rediculous prices car theives get for parts they chop off of the cars they steal. It seems like a Mercedes is worth more in parts than it is to buy new from the dealership! Go figure!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2007, 08:06   #8

Boat: Privilege 37
I am constantly amazed at the prices used equipment goes for on EBay. I have put several used parts that I have felt were obsolete. I figured I'd give someone else the oppurtunity to use them if they wanted. Several things that I thought were worth $25-50 sold for $175-400! Simply amazing! All the parts worked, and were in good shape, but Gee... Electronics that were 5-7 years old! Beyond me.

So, you might get more for the old stuff removed from a boat than you'd suspect.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote