Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-08-2011, 10:55   #31

Boat: Santana 25
DOJ...I don't know what to say
...........laugh out loud.........no
...roll on floor laughing my ass off... No
How bout:
Not able to breath, choking on my tong,wet pants, re-post on FB, and e-mailed to everyone I know!!!

Old 24-08-2011, 10:59   #32
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: Onboard During Earthquake

lol... CAUSE AS i WAS READING THIS WE JUST HAD A SMALL Tremor here in San Francisco...

For us that 5. would be small potatoes, but in an area that was not subject to regular quakes (thinkin of the brick house in Alexandria that I lived in) and had unreinforced masonry.... that 5+ could be wicked bad.

*update; that shaker was a 3.6

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 11:15   #33

Boat: Santana 25
BREAKING NEWS: Seismologists have confirmed that it WAS NOT an earthquake and but rather the 14.6 trillion dollar check bouncing on the East Coast. This event has brought to light a new geological formation under the White House forever to be known as the "Federal Reserves Fault."
Old 24-08-2011, 11:32   #34

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416

I was on board Liberty, kneeling on the foredeck working, when it hit. A few minutes earlier I was working on a project down below that involved drilling through the sole (with tape-marked drill bits). When the deck started shaking and the masts began pumping a little, and creaking, and a flock of birds flew away near the boat, my first thought was "those birds couldn't shake the mast that way even if they all launched from the spreaders", and an instant later "OH NO, YOU DRILLED THROUGH THE BOAT AND ITS SINKING!". There was turbulence in the water by the hull, and I jumped to the dock, which was shaking around, and I thought "dang, when my boat sinks at the dock does it cause this much commotion?". Then I thought, "I was using a 1/16" bit, there's no way we're sinking" (as my wife and kids will tell you, however, every unexpected noise on Liberty leads me to wonder if we're sinking). Finally, as the shaking of the dock and boat stopped, I thought, "maybe it was an earthquake."

Anyway, a lot more shaking both on board and dockside than I would have expected. No damage to anything except my nerves (while I determined we were not sinking).
Old 24-08-2011, 12:38   #35

I was on board and felt it. But, did not know it at the time:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: HARBOR EARTHQUAKE
Old 24-08-2011, 18:07   #36

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I

I used to miss all the quakes when I lived aboard here in L.A.. Just felt like the harbor patrol boat passing by. I admit that I was one of the scoffers yesterday since 5.9 will barely stir your coffee until I realized that the east coast has no seismic building standards. That could be a problem. The only redeeming virtue of a quake hitting DC is that it's nice to know that God is paying attention.

Mike
Old 24-08-2011, 20:52   #37

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Here in Toronto we get a minor one every 10 years or so. I have (apparently) been in five or so that people in apartments noticed...and failed to perceive any of them. I do remember in the '80s hearing the people in the second-floor office above me complaining "Hey, stop moving the table!" "YOU stop!" "I'M not moving the table!" "Ohhhhhh...."

A wicked storm front just passed and certainly rattled the windows, but it's just not the same as an actual quake.
Old 24-08-2011, 21:46   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Actually it's a miracle the Washington Monument didn't fall down. It's just stone blocks stacked on top of each other, no internal reinforcing.
Old 24-08-2011, 21:55   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Actually it's a miracle the Washington Monument didn't fall down. It's just stone blocks stacked on top of each other, no internal reinforcing.
please forgive us for hoping eternally...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 22:40   #40

Boat: PETERSON 44
I completely miss the humor. We we would be overjoyed if the monument from our founding father collapsed. Hope for the collapse of the house of congress and killed the elected. While in Libya they rejoice in the moments of freedom. If your that unhappy get off your ass and do something or go somewhere else. The people in those buildings were my neighbors trying to file your S.S benefits. Their were people registering you SSB license. Keeping your gos satellites aloft. I think Obama said he would pull troops from Iraq. Get osamma bin laden. Try to push through health care reform stimulate a f up economy. Go after the terrorists in Afghanisan . While the world economy slums Americans are whinny instead of getting up and being what they are innovative creative hard workers. Most important free to make changes express a view and vote.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: