Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2014, 06:49   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: On board clothes washing machine

My first inclination is to consider a washing machine to be a pure luxury, and an expensive one to own & operate, at that.

However, if you anticipate running a larger generator under lighter loads, for longer periods (ie: battery charging), then a washer/dryer might make a good load bank to prevent the problems associated with underloading (wet stacking etc.).

Ideally, diesel engines should be mostly run at least 50-75% of their maximum rated load. Short periods of low load running are permissible, providing the set is brought up to full load, or close to full load, on a regular basis.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 07:01   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

I for one would like to read more responses that answer the question instead of judgmental ones about why YOU don't feel a washing machine is needed.
Old 23-02-2014, 07:01   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Washing machine is a crucial item and in the same club with water-maker, genset etc. After hurricane Ivan we have been the only boat in the bay with these three operational and we made water and washed clothes for everyone. Without that, hygiene is tough and sickness close-by (cholera etc.)
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 07:19   #19

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I have had a Splendide 2100, vented washer dryer for 6 years and it has done a great job. I do have a water maker and a generator. I usually time it so I am washing clothes, making water and cooking at the same time for about 3 hours. Have an electric 120vac watermaker and an electric stove. The generator is 10kw and with everything running at the same time there is a descent load for the generator.
Old 23-02-2014, 09:04   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

even i am thinking about giving up and getting an ice maker for summer OR a portable fridge unit i can eventually build into gallery somewhere, on a temporaryish basis..needs repairing, must be easily removed for same....and a omygodwashing machine....it doesnt need a wringer, and i have seen some here in mexico cheapo in pawn shops and appliance stores....and home depot and elektra and....even mega / comercial has em ..... mebbe i can keep foods more than one to two days in summer..lol
stowage...lol i have a forepeak for that stuff and i have.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 09:38   #21

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
You are going to attempt to put a washing machine in a 29' boat? Personally, I think that is a big mistake. In the Caribe, your clothing cleaning needs will be minimal (you are not going continue to wear thick cotton stuff are you?). You will give up a large amount of valuable storage space for a machine that will not be used all that often. We have a 40' catamaran and find storage space to be valuable and short.

Mark
We are currently under contract for a Stevens 47, pending survey tomorrow and sea trial, we should be good to go.

No, the machine is not for the Bayfield, but how were you to know? My bad, sorry.

We have a huge solar and battery banks, and a Honda generator to supplement if needed. For me to get the commodore onboard, a washing machine would go a long, long way! Thanks for all the positive comments so far, and I'm hoping we get a few more in regards to washing machine type and where to have the installation occur...stateside or in the Caribbean.

Thanks all!
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 09:43   #22

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40
We run our washer, water maker, ice maker and all the rest 100% from solar.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 10:54   #23

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

If you want a built-in one, the Splendide are probably the best. There is one for sale on this forum for a great price right now. You will need to find space for mounting it, but the installation isn't rocket science - screw in some appropriate mounts, basic electrical hookup and basic plumbing. If you don't know anything at all about AC electrical, then get someone for that part, but you should be able to figure out plumbing.

Don't get the version with the drier - the hot air drier takes a lot of power and you need to vent it out the deck so it requires cutting holes, etc. The hot water drier simply does not work. You will have plenty of fresh breeze and sun and your clothes will dry in minutes after a final spin-dry cycle.

Your other option is like shown above - go to the Caribe where smallish tub washers are available everywhere for $100. These are "portable", so you will need a place to store it and move it out to a place for use. They plug into standard outlets and take a garden hose input.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 15:11   #24

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

The Whirlpool Duet takes 4 cubic feet of wash and its very reliable. Its about 27" wide

Tags
washing