Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2018, 18:19   #31

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II
Re: Ok, this surprised me... West Marine to match prices

Ok, alternate reality hit again. I was looking for a DSC capable handheld and was going to pick SH HX870. I did a quick search and this is want popped up right next the The GPS Store:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/stand...-dsc--16263261

So the same price. Hmmm... so I figured it was a WM special, but it appears to the be the normal price with a "price match" badge. I checked Hodges and it was $202. Maybe they are serious about this after all.

With the $40 rebate and free shipping it $160. Assuming you get the rebate.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:13   #32

Boat: Novatec, Isalnder 55'

West Marine is deadly serious about price match. I use it every time I buy something there. On average I save about 35%~40%
rwells36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:11   #33

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstory View Post
...So the same price. Hmmm... so I figured it was a WM special, but it appears to the be the normal price with a "price match" badge. I checked Hodges and it was $202. Maybe they are serious about this after all.
I've found WM to be competitive with other outlets for big-ticket marine electronics. When I mentioned this to a salesman (a few years ago now) he said there's a very thin mark-up on these items. Thin for WM might be normal for other retailers.

At any rate, I've bought electronics there several times and always got a good deal.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 20:12   #34

Boat: Westsail 32

The idea is, not to match prices. The idea is to have the lowest prices in the first place.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:42   #35

Boat: Novatec, Isalnder 55'
Ok, this surprised me... West Marine to match prices

Do you think if they meet (match) a price I pull up off of Amazon (on my smart phone) that the next time I’m there I’ll find that their retail price will be that of amazons?
rwells36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:14   #36

Boat: Mason 43

When we were cruising WM was great, fresh water pump went out just went to WM at the next landfall a exchanged it, no problem. Had a problem the handheld VHF next stop WM exchanged it. Needed parts ordered in one port and picked up at the next port. Now that we are more or less fixed based price has taken priority.
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:36   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
The idea is, not to match prices. The idea is to have the lowest prices in the first place.
According to our local West manager, that's the eventual goal of the price matching program.

West is now under completely new ownership. Some guy bought most of the shares, and took over, and he's changing things up. For the better, so far.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:33   #38
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
Excellent way for any business to fail.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:16   #39

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

I / we need a store we can physically go to and buy “boat things”. I like the Corpis Christi store but I can see it slowly losing sqft of boat things to shoes, shirts, hats and items i can get everywhere else.
I didn’t price match for a long time as we shopped online for planned projects but went to WM for rope, electric items, nuts bolts, water pump, water heater, blocks, bilge pumps, hoses etc.
Now we go to WM first, price match and often save 60% over their listed price. But their instock items are slowly dwindling and only being restocked w one or two of whatever needs to be ordered.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:26   #40
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
I / we need a store we can physically go to and buy “boat things”. I like the Corpis Christi store but I can see it slowly losing sqft of boat things to shoes, shirts, hats and items i can get everywhere else.
I didn’t price match for a long time as we shopped online for planned projects but went to WM for rope, electric items, nuts bolts, water pump, water heater, blocks, bilge pumps, hoses etc.
Now we go to WM first, price match and often save 60% over their listed price. But their instock items are slowly dwindling and only being restocked w one or two of whatever needs to be ordered.
Good post.

As for their onshelf stock of marine parts getting smaller, I think that is to be expected as they have to compete with online pricing vendors who sell from a warehouse or central distribution point (less overhead than having many stores).

I like West Marine, and think there is value (and cost to everyone) to have lots of stock in lots of locations. It is a matter of convenience, and people generally pay more for that.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:28   #41
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Excellent way for any business to fail.
Often that is true, but not always true.

Being the lowest priced does require some smart business practices to avoid any business failure or competitive situation.

Walmart is not failing. They are very profitable. They also price match and claim to have the lowest prices.

So, it is not necessarily the way to fail. It can be a conscious strategy to capture market share and then dominance of the market and suppliers.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:29   #42

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
As for their onshelf stock of marine parts getting smaller, I think that is to be expected as they have to compete with online pricing vendors who sell from a warehouse or central distribution point (less overhead than having many stores).
I think this may be what makes or breaks the "new" WM.

If they continue their inventory reduction program, and continue their once-a-week store deliver strategy, they offer no benefit over Amazon or Defender.

All the MBA's out there are going to jump all over me, but I personally think this whole craze to reduce inventory to the bare minimum is BS.

I once wanted (not needed) a pair of chocks. It became a game, every WM I went to for maybe 6 months, I'd look for the chocks. Always only one chock. But they could have the other one there next Tuesday! I eventually got tired of playing the game and ordered a pair on line.

When there's a snowstorm, windstorm or flood, the hardware store which only stocks a few shovels, chainsaws or sump pumps loses out big time. The store with a good inventory of these things, available when needed, is the winner.

Big-picture, the reason Amazon is succeeding is because they stock lots of inventory. Other businesses pay Amazon to maintain and ship their own inventory. Inventory is an asset, not a liability!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 14:49   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
According to our local West manager, that's the eventual goal of the price matching program.

West is now under completely new ownership. Some guy bought most of the shares, and took over, and he's changing things up. For the better, so far.
That IS good news! Hard to believe though when you check prices in the store. Marine Tex is $27 and only $16 at ACE. Snaps are $2.50 each and .79 at ACE, same stainless.

I was happy with how quickly they matched Hodges price on my radar dome and I didn't have to screw around with Hodges third party email verification crap. Shipping is a little slow but only by a few days. Hope this trend continues. Used to shop at that store in Alameda and was sad to see the Boat US store nearby close after they bought them. Those people were really nice there and WM really couldn't much care one way or the other. Always a good excuse to lunch at Quinn's...!!
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 17:58   #44

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
I go to the same store. Most bigger ticket items I want have to be ordered. Usually delivered to store in 3-4 days.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 20:34   #45
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

I will admit that I'm a huge WestMarine fanboy. But that has a lot to do with the fact that I' have access to a Pro (Portsupply) discount which is pretty incredible. Maybe I'm just lucky that the Chicago store is staffed by a bunch of incredibly knowledgeable and awesome people and when I go in there they all say hi and greet my by name. I'm no newbie when it comes to working on boats and know my way around the store pretty well, but the guys who work there know way more than I do. When you ask them a question they have actual extensive boating and marine maintenance experience that is as wide as it is deep, and they know their products and what their inventory is and always can answer my toughest questions. They go out of their way to find stuff that they don't even stock when I need it, and will usually special order it for me.

This is all a far cry from the typical craptacular big-box store where you ask a question and the on-duty floor drone will pick up the box and start reading you the information off of the back when you ask them any question.

How do I feel about the price-matching? I hope it works out for them but also I hope it doesn't mean they slim down and end up losing that edge which have with their expert staff and top-notch customer service. I'm already getting a really good price on stuff, and wonder if the Pro price I'm now getting is going to be any better than what the guy off the street is getting.

They have already closed the "hub" in Chicago so no more free delivery to the boatyards, marinas, and local harbors -although that isn't a service I took much advantage of, preferring to shop and pick out items myself and chat with the store staff on the way home from the yard or harbor or sometimes in the morning beforehand. I am just worried that some of the other prime services will suffer or be cut as well to make this "lowest price" thing work.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, price