Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2011, 09:06   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Oil Rising Again from BP Gulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
usgovinfo.about.com/b/2010/08/07/bp-spill-where-did-the...

Here's what the Gov said ...
What Happened To the Oil? ➥ http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...%2083final.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 12:44   #77

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

The Gov says most got picked up or eveporated. 16% got dispersed and that's it. That's what they said happened but they (The Scientists)keep finding large amounts of oil on the sea floor in some places 2 inches thick.
Old 30-08-2011, 13:10   #78

The Feds

The Worlds Largest BP Oil Spill Mostly Evaporated - YouTube

What the University of Georgia says

Over 10 Months After The BP Oil Spill & The Bottom Of The Gulf Of Mexico Is Still Covered In Oil - YouTube

And now you can see for yourself..

A Submarine Ride To The Gulf Floor... Which Is Covered In Oil! - YouTube
Old 30-08-2011, 13:20   #79

Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24

If you watch the video, you will notice there is no date or time stamp on the video its self. Only graphics added by the editor. It also looks more like motor oil slick than crude from the gulf. And if you watch carefuly, you will see the same sheen on the cover of his outboards.

Conclusion is, his motors spew oil and he spent an hour out there motoring around and low and behold! Oil!

Yeah, these guys need a better class of con man.
NeptunesTrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 13:31   #80

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

I would say most of the environmentalist-oceanographers are anti oil, biased against developing oil fields, prefer animal ecosystems to survive and thrive over human survival and needs. When I was in school some would talk about (in seminars, reading journals books, expressing their opinions when asked), the carrying capacity, how the planet cant carry x number of people (who defines x number??) and famines, plagues, should be allowed to take their 'natural course' to reduce the human population.

Stalin said a similar thing, people are the problem, get rid of the people, then no more problem.
Perhaps then we should push more and more out of the middle class into poverty, take away their access to cheap food and fuels, promote abortion and humane euthanasia, talk of quality of life only, how life is not worth the living when sick and poor, enforce sterilization, one child families, and propagandize and glorify warfare to rid the world of the undesirables. Anyway all of this that we are now doing is not working out so well, our human population continues its growth acceleration. So then lets find out that oil is a renewable resource and we can have our cake and also eat it.

http://www.321energy.com/editorials/...man083105.html
etc...

how interesting!
Quote:
He continues: "Human skull fossils have been found in anthracite coal in Pennsylvania. The official theory of the development of coal will not accept that reality, since human beings were not around when anthracite coal was formed. Coal was formed millions of years ago. However, you cannot mistake the fact that these are human fossils."
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 13:49   #81

Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I would say most of the environmentalist-oceanographers are anti oil, biased against developing oil fields, prefer animal ecosystems to survive and thrive over human survival and needs. When I was in school some would talk about (in seminars, reading journals books, expressing their opinions when asked), the carrying capacity, how the planet cant carry x number of people (who defines x number??) and famines, plagues, should be allowed to take their 'natural course' to reduce the human population.

http://www.321energy.com/editorials/...man083105.html
etc...

how interesting!
Absolutely correct. There are plenty of those, like the ones on that video, and blog, evidently, that will create their own crisis. Bring their own oil to the oil slick. Anything to keep the "fires burning", so to speak.

These people are without scruples, morals, integrity or conscience. They are in search of money. Donated money. Heaven forbid that they have to go out and "work" for it. It is always somebody elses money. Most of the time, it is tax payers money. My money. And I want it back.
NeptunesTrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 15:26   #82

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Between the hysterics created by some of these bloggers and those who fill their perceptions with all "the sky is falling" paranoia over this spill, I'm more concerned with how some people make voting decisions than with the long term impact of any oil spill. It's a wonder how they can navigate a well-marked channel but can't see through some of these blogs
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 15:58   #83

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesTrident View Post
Absolutely correct. There are plenty of those, like the ones on that video, and blog, evidently, that will create their own crisis. Bring their own oil to the oil slick. Anything to keep the "fires burning", so to speak.

These people are without scruples, morals, integrity or conscience. They are in search of money. Donated money. Heaven forbid that they have to go out and "work" for it. It is always somebody elses money. Most of the time, it is tax payers money. My money. And I want it back.

Yeah, good luck surviving without the eco-systems provided by the rest of the species on this earth.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 16:23   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
I don't know about the amount, but oil/tar balls have been washing up on Padre Island for well over 50 years. Long before drilling...I know because I was washing them off my feet 50 years ago...
Oil drilling in the gulf started in the 1920's and 30's. The first "offshore" production facility was in 1938. But I don't suppose any oil could possibly have escaped from the exploration efforts or from those early wells ...

I remember when I was a kid (late 1940's early 1950's) seeing newsreels of blowout wells in Texas. I guess there were very few prevention devices available then as people like Red Adair and others hadn't invented them yet. Just saying that oil pollution, if seen by way of tarballs on the beach, could have been from early land based or offshore exploration and drilling activities, not necessarily "natural" oil "seepage". Also I don't suppose there were any oil tankers that sank or leaked in the early days of oil production. Were there?

I know, from personal experience the damage to the environment that oil exploration did (and continues to this day) in Alberta. Many underground explosive discharges caused gas to "seep" into ground water and people (many that relied on well water) suddenly had "explosive" bathrooms. Straight lines were bulldozed across pristine wilderness and if a creek or brook got in the way, to bad. Lesser Slave Lake was badly silted, etc, etc. Many reports of extreme pollution of rivers making them very toxic, very high cancer rates in people who depend on the fish and moose for their livelihood, etc.

I'm just repeating my personal recollections here because many people never saw the damage (and continue to not see it to this day) that was created. The oil industry has typically, worldwide, run roughshod over the natural environment, at the blessing of many national and local governments.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 18:19   #85

I just provided the videos, look at them and make up your own minds. I left out the one about all the baby dolphins washing up on shore.
Thought it was to morbid and depressing to share.
Old 30-08-2011, 18:30   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
I just provided the videos, look at them and make up your own minds. I left out the one about all the baby dolphins washing up on shore.
Thought it was to morbid and depressing to share.
So what's your point in citing these things. Some can be totally misleading having nothing to do with the current conditions and others including the dolphin comment have no link whatsoever to the oil spill except by inuendo.

Just curious - were you so concerned when 400 million gallons of crude were dumped into the Persian Gulf and 600 oil wells were burned creating a huge environmental crisis? By comparison, this spill was inconsequential.
Old 30-08-2011, 18:43   #87
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

no crude oil spill is inconsequential.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 18:57   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
no crude oil spill is inconsequential.
so where was the hysteria and claims of ecological catastrophe there and then? Didn't see all these academic money-grabbing can't-find-a-real job professional students descending on the Arabian Gulf, did you? This only proves the theory that people only care about something when it is their back yard and/or when they can profit off it..
Old 30-08-2011, 19:10   #89

Boat: Triton 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
so where was the hysteria and claims of ecological catastrophe there and then? Didn't see all these academic money-grabbing can't-find-a-real job professional students descending on the Arabian Gulf, did you? This only proves the theory that people only care about something when it is their back yard and/or when they can profit off it..
persian gulf oil spill 1991 - Google Scholar

Hundreds of academic paper on the ecological consequences of the 1991 Persian Gulf spills. A thouroughly researched issue by scientists across the globe.
genomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 19:11   #90

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

So what were people going to do when the Arabian Gulf situation took place? US military no-go zone, mined roads, spent uranium shrapnel. Of course people were afraid and there were all kinds of articles about the environmental impact in the press.

By the way, calling down people in different walks of life and with different views from yours is not the preferred way of doing things on this forum.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil