Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2011, 19:37   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Oil Rising Again from BP Gulf

According to this source the old BP oil spill is again active.

I can't attest as to the veracity of this report.

Oil Rising Again from Macondo Well: BP Hires Fleet of 40 Shrimp Boats to Lay Boom Around Old Deepwater Horizon Site | Stuart H. Smith

Quote:
The truly frightening part of this development, as reported in a previous post (see below), is the oil may be coming from cracks and fissures in the seafloor caused by the work BP did during its failed attempts to cap the runaway Macondo Well – and that type of leakage can’t be stopped, ever.
ISS - Is oil still leaking from BP's Gulf disaster site?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 20:32   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Oil Rising Again from BP Gulf

Cost me a little over $3200 last time to clean my boat. Thanks a lot BPm let's see what gets screwed up this time.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 21:05   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

There was a report a week or two ago about a slick in the Gulf. Everyone denied it was theirs and no proof of it's origin at that time. The news has gone dead since. Was it just a smallish slick that was wandering about or leakage from a well site??

In any case, more oil seeps into the Gulf annually from natural seepage than was leaked by the BP site. There is a way to stop this seepage but that's by doing more drilling to relieve the pressures from these oil reservoirs under the gulf. Not popular with our current anti-oil administration and the rabid 'return us to the stone age' environmentalists.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 05:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See also ➥ Possible oil sheen under investigation in Gulf of Mexico could be large | NOLA.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 06:12   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
In any case, more oil seeps into the Gulf annually from natural seepage than was leaked by the BP site.
Who verified that (mis)?information?

Some believe almost anything and then there are skeptics like me...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 06:43   #6

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post

The natural oil seeps were how we found the oil down there to start with. Think about it.

You have these huge untapped oil deposits on the ocean floor...And you have an earthquack, or a geological shift...

As to quantity...who knows, if we knew how many, or how much, or where they were, we would have a well on them already.

Decades ago, before the BP disaster, I have found the occasional tar ball on the beach. If you dig anywhere on Texas coast you will find a black layer under sand.

After the disaster, (a real disaster no doubt), there was a substantial increase in tar balls in the area around the spill, covering several hundred miles, out of several thousand miles of beach, (there is still a huge puddle of oil on the gulf floor).

I have found ancient tar balls, that have flattened and become impacted with sand, and hardened from sunlight, to form various sized disks, like pavement stones.

The real disaster of the BP spill, was not the blowout, (although it appears it could have been prevented with additional care). Or the fact that it was allowed to flow unchecked for months, (due to faulty blowout preventer built for this very purpose).

But the fact that the simplest and most obvious solution, (drop a new valve on top of the broken one), was delayed for almost a year, and was the last thing they tried.

And after spending all that money, and time, and the incredable damage to the enviroment, ... the well was abandoned. Causing all that to be for nothing.

Even if you wanted revenge, mandating the money gotten from the well be used for the enviromental cleanup, would have been the most logical choice. We still need the oil, and now a new well will have to be drilled to replace that oil lost, with the risk of blowout all over again.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 07:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post

I don't know about the amount, but oil/tar balls have been washing up on Padre Island for well over 50 years. Long before drilling...I know because I was washing them off my feet 50 years ago...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 07:41   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

This again?
Old 23-08-2011, 07:46   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

horn island was not 3 ft plus deep with oil before the bp mayhem. it has been now since date april 21 2010. when i wa sin sd i was listening to npr and some lsu scientist folks were looking under the sea on the bottom of gulf and found all permanent life was gone an donly transient life forms were passing thru. there was a 1/2 inch deep slime layer on bottom. sounds healthy. no larvae to create the crabs and other forms of sealife we eat for dinner is serious.
we can go back and forth on this forever, but what happened isnt going away in the next 25 yrs.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 15:21   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
I don't know about the amount, but oil/tar balls have been washing up on Padre Island for well over 50 years. Long before drilling...I know because I was washing them off my feet 50 years ago...
Ditto New Jersey Shore, not known for it's natural seeps.

But..........there was a lot of ship traffic with bunker C, and then there was WWII, and some ship wrecks.

I understand there are some natural seeps, but ..............

On the other hand, let us assume your pressure theory is correct, and we 'fix' it by pumping out all the oil. Then what? What will you do for diesel? Nay light? Whale oil like they used to do before petroleum? Given our current population how will that work?

Better to keep things going slow and trying to stretch our resources, we are on a life boat ya know.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 15:31   #11

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
Cost me a little over $3200 last time to clean my boat. Thanks a lot BPm let's see what gets screwed up this time.
Don't get it. Why didn't you avail yourself of one of the dozens of CG cleaning stations, all of which were free? If for some unexplained reason you could not, why didn't your insurance company cover the cost and subrogate the claim?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 15:44   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Just a reminder y’all... like back when the whole BP issue was active, a lot of threads got squashed because they became political. There was also a lot of unsubstantiated claims made by both sides. Let’s keep this thread civil!
Old 23-08-2011, 16:02   #13

I am no authority on this, but I live in Mississippi and have followed the spill closely.

I have seen no recent credible story on this. I do know with all the attention the Gulf is getting, there is no way BP could hide it. Every news agency in North America and beyond would be all over it.

I also never heard that Horn Island was 3-feet-deep in oil.

I also seriously doubt more oil seeps naturally into the Gulf annually that BP dumped into it. Yes, there were the random tarballs on the beaches here long before the spill. We just didn't know what they were. (At least I didn't.) But, more oil naturally leaking into the Gulf annually than BP poured out? Given what we have seen down here, that defies all logic.

There IS oil on Horn Island right now as we speak. But, no one has attributed it to a new leak, so far as I know. I was told by a BP rep that cleanup will begin in coming weeks. There is some sort of nesting issue that is holding up the cleaning process so BP is waiting for the OK from the Federal folks. I am scheduled to go out to Horn when the clean-up begins to photograph the oil and cleaning. I'll post some photos.
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 16:05   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

someone babysitting a crane there told me about it. he was working for bp. he sed there was 2-3 ft deep digging and still were bringing up sand wet with oil. because was seen by a civilian, probably didnt happen.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 16:20   #15

@Zee...

That I can believe. I recently read that the material with oil on it (which I assume was sand) taken out measured in the tons...can't remember how many, but it sure seemed like a lot to me.

That was my fault. From how you described it, I was picturing a three-foot-deep slick surrounding the island and slapping up against the beach.
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil