Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2011, 19:15   #91

Boat: Triton 24
Re: Oil Rising Again from BP Gulf

By the way, to call researchers in various ecological fields "academic money-grabbing can't-find-a-real job professional students" shows an apalling lack of understanding of the reality of scientific research. Dunning-Kruger strikes again.
genomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 19:42   #92

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by genomic View Post
persian gulf oil spill 1991 - Google Scholar

Hundreds of academic paper on the ecological consequences of the 1991 Persian Gulf spills. A thouroughly researched issue by scientists across the globe.
your link shows only one American author, at least on the first page; I didn't bother reading further. What's wrong here is the people who are so critical of this spill and the rash conclusions they draw regarding it's impact when they seemingly couldn't care less when a worse event occurs elsewhere. I though it was the same environment but guess not...
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 19:44   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by genomic View Post
By the way, to call researchers in various ecological fields "academic money-grabbing can't-find-a-real job professional students" shows an apalling lack of understanding of the reality of scientific research. Dunning-Kruger strikes again.
Obviously you don't know many of these people doing this "research"
Old 30-08-2011, 19:57   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
So what were people going to do when the Arabian Gulf situation took place? US military no-go zone, mined roads, spent uranium shrapnel. Of course people were afraid and there were all kinds of articles about the environmental impact in the press.

By the way, calling down people in different walks of life and with different views from yours is not the preferred way of doing things on this forum.
Obviously, the Indian government and scientists managed to study the impact.
Old 30-08-2011, 20:33   #95

Boat: Triton 24

"Obviously you don't know many of these people doing this "research""

I'm a research scientist myself. In the field of genetics, but I've known and worked with many scientists involved in environmental research, and your overarching comments are franky offensive.

"your link shows only one American author, at least on the first page; I didn't bother reading further"

And that pretty much sums it up. I'm sorry, I refuse to continue this interaction with you lest I begin to (justifiably) get cranky and transgress the spirit of the forum.
genomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 21:08   #96

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
So what's your point in citing these things. Some can be totally misleading having nothing to do with the current conditions and others including the dolphin comment have no link whatsoever to the oil spill except by inuendo.

Just curious - were you so concerned when 400 million gallons of crude were dumped into the Persian Gulf and 600 oil wells were burned creating a huge environmental crisis? By comparison, this spill was inconsequential.
The point is you get to make up your own mind. So if you believe that the oil isn't on the bottom then so be it. If you believe what the scientists are discovering from the University of Miami to the University of Georgia that's fine too. You can sit back and enjoy your seafood in piece. That's all!
Old 30-08-2011, 21:18   #97

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Some people refuse to believe anything unless it implies only what they want it to say. Private labs and academic institutions are funded by groups who obviously can and often do influence the so-called objectivity of places like LSU. If someone says oil sinks or that dispersants cause it to sink, they are expressing a very misleading concept as only one very dense Arabian crude has a density greater than water and Corexit does just what it's name implies - disperse it. It doesn't do anything else...
But common sense and logic are irrelevant I guess when some people just can't accept something unless it fits their comfortable view of the world.

Oil from the Exxon Valdes continued to leach for years and that obviously was a surface source. There is nothing surprising in the Gulf these days and the few reputable observations of pockets remaining in the area are no surprise given the magnitude of the spill. Nature and the Gulf ecosystems will do just what they did in Prince William Sound albeit much faster.
Anyone remember this little Gem... I really like the first line. It pretty much sums it all up.
Does BP have scientists and chemical labs at their disposal? And what about influence. Do you think 20 Billion Dollars influences anyone, or buys influence? I don't know.
I know I'm influenced by a window in a sub showing oil on the floor that is 5000 ft below the surface of the Gulf. I'm all messed up.
Old 17-04-2017, 15:00   #98
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
PBS, the GREAT INVISIBLE

A documentary on the Deepwater Horizon oil rig explosion as seen through the eyes of oil executives, survivors and Gulf Coast residents who experienced it first-hand and then were left to pick up the pieces while the world moved on.

The Great Invisible (2014) - IMDb

On April 20, 2010, the Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded in the Gulf of Mexico. It killed 11 workers and caused the worst oil spill in American history. The explosion still haunts the lives of those most intimately affected, though the story has long ago faded from the front page. At once a fascinating corporate thriller, a heartbreaking human drama and a peek inside the walls of the secretive oil industry, "The Great Invisible" is the first documentary feature to go beyond the media coverage to examine the crisis in depth through the eyes of oil executives, survivors and Gulf Coast residents who experienced it first-hand and then were left to pick up the pieces while the world moved on.

on PBS
The Great Invisible | Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill | Independent Lens | PBS

...and if you watch it until the end you will see what little (if anything) has been done to correct the situation !!!
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil