Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2019, 09:14   #16

Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
It's futile worrying about anything over which we have no control. The sun is getting bigger, hotter and closer. No secret here except that fact is usually omitted in every one of these 'the sky is falling' narratives. Unfortunately, there is no grant money is modeling the effect of that inevitability. Meanwhile, the weather is fine and we're sailing.
Actually the sun is getting cooler and Milankovitch cycles would have us cooling.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:16   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Actually the sun is getting cooler and Milankovitch cycles would have us cooling.

and we are cooling wait for 3 years it will be even more evident . As of now we have only been cooling for 3 years but once we are past 5 the trend will be readily apparent .
Old 03-08-2019, 09:16   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
The ocean is saltwater a strong alkaline it will never become an acid .

You're just playing word-games now. ph is a scale, one end of which is alkaline, the other is acidic. Add a little acid to an alkaline solution (acidification), it becomes less alkaline.
Quote:
Over the past 300 million years, ocean pH has been slightly basic, averaging about 8.2. Today, it is around 8.1, a drop of 0.1 pH units, representing a 25-percent increase in acidity over the past two centuries.

Source (just one of many)
Old 03-08-2019, 09:20   #19

Quote:
and we are cooling wait for 3 years it will be even more evident . As of now we have only been cooling for 3 years but once we are past 5 the trend will be readily apparent .
Old 03-08-2019, 09:40   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I said it 2 years ago and the last two years since have been progressively cooler .

The main difference between the theory you follow and the one I have is I am not bound by the auspicious terms of reference that the IPCC is based on which said only anthropogenic sources don't even consider any natural sources.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:46   #21

Quote:
I said it 2 years ago and the last two years since have been progressively cooler .

The main difference between the theory you follow and the one I have is I am not bound by the auspicious terms of reference that the IPCC is based on which said only anthropogenic sources don't even consider any natural sources.
Chapter 8 of IPCC AR5 "Anthropogenic and Natural Radiative Forcing"

https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uplo...er08_FINAL.pdf
Old 03-08-2019, 10:05   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Chapter 8 of IPCC AR5 "Anthropogenic and Natural Radiative Forcing"

https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uplo...er08_FINAL.pdf
what they put on paper to be distributed has nothing to do with any change or lack thereof of their terms of reference that all of the studies must be (and I mean their rules require )
they be followed . And the terms of reference have not changed since they were written for distribution at the Kyoto summit.

Look into it jack
Meanwhile we are still cooling . 2018 was cooler than 2017 .
Old 03-08-2019, 10:28   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
The ocean is saltwater a strong alkaline it will never become an acid ...
The term Ocean Acidification does not necessarily imply that ocean waters will actually become acidic (i.e., pH < 7.0).

Before the industrial era began, the average pH at the ocean surface was about 8.2 (slightly basic or alkaline, 7.0 being neutral). Today it is about 8.1, a drop of 0.1 pH units. Since the pH scale is logarithmic*, this change represents approximately a 30 percent increase in acidity.
The pH of anything is usually a delicate balance. Human blood, for example, has a pH range of 7.35 to 7.45. Even a slight change out of this range could cause damage.
Although the change may seem small, similar natural shifts have taken 5,000 to 10,000 years. We have done it in 50 to 80 years. Ocean life survived the long, gradual change, but the current speed of acidification is very worrisome. Emissions could reduce surface pH by another 0.4 unit in this century alone and by as much as 0.7 unit beyond 2100.

Sea water is a weak base - mildly alkaline.
Strong bases have very high pH values, usually about 12 to 14. The pH of a weak base (like sea water) falls somewhere between 7 and 10.

* This means that each 1.0 change in pH (positive or negative) is a difference of a factor of 10. Thus a pH of 8.0 is 10 times more basic than 7.0 and 100 times more basic than 6.0.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:41   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The term Ocean Acidification does not necessarily imply that ocean waters will actually become acidic (i.e., pH < 7.0).

Before the industrial era began, the average pH at the ocean surface was about 8.2 (slightly basic or alkaline, 7.0 being neutral). Today it is about 8.1, a drop of 0.1 pH units. Since the pH scale is logarithmic*, this change represents approximately a 30 percent increase in acidity.
The pH of anything is usually a delicate balance. Human blood, for example, has a pH range of 7.35 to 7.45. Even a slight change out of this range could cause damage.
Although the change may seem small, similar natural shifts have taken 5,000 to 10,000 years. We have done it in 50 to 80 years. Ocean life survived the long, gradual change, but the current speed of acidification is very worrisome. Emissions could reduce surface pH by another 0.4 unit in this century alone and by as much as 0.7 unit beyond 2100.

Sea water is a weak base - mildly alkaline.
Strong bases have very high pH values, usually about 12 to 14. The pH of a weak base (like sea water) falls somewhere between 7 and 10.

* This means that each 1.0 change in pH (positive or negative) is a difference of a factor of 10. Thus a pH of 8.0 is 10 times more basic than 7.0 and 100 times more basic than 6.0.
Gord I fully understand all of the technical aspects .

The interesting fact is the change in the oceanic ph in Hawaii between the gritty of summer and the gritty of winter it can vary by up to .2 or .3 difference . Anywhere from 8.3 to 8.0 ph just in that one location and the seasonal variation only gets wider the further from the equator you get . Stronger base in winter weaker in summer
Old 03-08-2019, 10:50   #25

Quote:
... I fully understand all of the technical aspects.
Then why did you say something so inaccurate and off-point as:
Quote:
The ocean is saltwater a strong alkaline it will never become an acid
??

If you do understand the technical points, then you'd understand averages, and why one isolated set of local readings and seasonal variance are not relevant to the overall picture. And you wouldn't be calling ocean acidification a "fallacy".
Old 03-08-2019, 11:13   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Then why did you say something so inaccurate and off-point as:

??

If you do understand the technical points, then you'd understand averages, and why one isolated set of local readings and seasonal variance are not relevant to the overall picture. And you wouldn't be calling ocean acidification a "fallacy".
read the title of the article the entire thread is predicated on . It is out and out misleading the average person . It misled several on this exact thread I am being technical .
The ocean will never be an acid.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:29   #27

Quote:
read the title of the article the entire thread is predicated on . It is out and out misleading the average person . It misled several on this exact thread I am being technical .
The ocean will never be an acid.
So you've figured out that the ocean ISN'T a strong base? Good start.

The remaining piece is to understand that "ocean acidification" does not mean that someone is claiming that the ocean WILL become an acid (pH < 7), but that the ocean pH is moving in that direction.
Old 03-08-2019, 13:02   #28

Welp,if one attended Trump University,it's all a goof,though I prefer actual science generated by say,,,MIT
Here's empirically verified data from a recent peer reviewed paper from MIT

AS to - "here we go again" Ostrich head in sand-Good on you & All the Best,though if one has Grand-children,think I'd err on side of precaution-that sounds like seamanship to me

https://news.mit.edu/2019/carbon-thr...xtinction-0708
Old 03-08-2019, 13:34   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Garfield View Post
Welp,if one attended Trump University,it's all a goof,though I prefer actual science generated by say,,,MIT
Here's empirically verified data from a recent peer reviewed paper from MIT

AS to - "here we go again" Ostrich head in sand-Good on you & All the Best,though if one has Grand-children,think I'd err on side of precaution-that sounds like seamanship to me

https://news.mit.edu/2019/carbon-thr...xtinction-0708
would love to see the terms of reference for this study.

Also it has all the safety words to cover them when it fails to happen

" could, may , and might " happen .
Old 03-08-2019, 13:46   #30

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

It has nothing to do with ocean water being “a strong base”. It is, however, a matter of buffering capacity which precludes acidification.

As to temperature, the folks at the Max Plank Institute, which isn’t beholden to grant money perspectives, have presented objective evidence corroborating the conclusion the expanding sun is substantially the cause of any quantifiable climate change and further, they note no quantifiable evidence exists to validate the claim anthropogenic climate change is real.

It’s sometimes entertaining listening to liberal arts majors argue climate science but it’s never educational.
Closed Thread