Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2013, 06:21   #1

Noticed any Change?

In your sailing environment, whether local or on a global scale, have you noticed changes in the weather that add new challenges to sailing? Does it appear wind is stronger and or there are more calms? What about wind direction?

If you have sailed more than one global circumnavigation, have you noticed any differences in the variables above?

Thanks.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 06:40   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Noticed any change?

Hiya Wrong! Just check major "fronts" prior to sailing to your destination. Plan an alternate destination, just in case things get dicey. Provision your boat to the max. Know how to "trim/reef" your sails under different weather conditions. Know your limitations! Sail away and have a ball!

Mauritz
Knows all and sees all...ONLY a dullah!
Old 21-08-2013, 06:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya Wrong! Just check major "fronts" prior to sailing to your destination. Plan an alternate destination, just in case things get dicey. Provision your boat to the max. Know how to "trim/reef" your sails under different weather conditions. Know your limitations! Sail away and have a ball!

Mauritz
Knows all and sees all...ONLY a dullah!
Not exactly what I'm looking for in this thread, but hey, from the overwhelming response so far your comment is like fresh air after being downwind from a nest of smokers.
Old 21-08-2013, 07:01   #4

Boat: PT-11
It seems like you are just trying to start the thread over again paying lip service to the forum rules. So, here's my bit. I have only seen normal variability. Thats because there has been no measurable climate change for the last 15 years.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 07:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
It seems like you are just trying to start the thread over again paying lip service to the forum rules. So, here's my bit. I have only seen normal variability. Thats because there has been no measurable climate change for the last 15 years.
Not so. This thread is asking what sailors have noticed in their sailing environments. Not soliciting debate on whether or not global warming exists, and if so it's cause. This is not a thread about weather change allegedly secondary to global warming. Simple to understand. At least for most folks.
Old 21-08-2013, 07:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Not so. This thread is asking what sailors have noticed in their sailing environments. Not soliciting debate on whether or not global warming exists, and if so it's cause. This is not a thread about weather change allegedly secondary to global warming. Simple to understand. At least for most folks.

I want to add, evidence of change in wind patterns and current, regardless of suspected cause is the kind of stuff welcome in this thread.
Old 21-08-2013, 07:12   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Good. And let's keep it that way.

The other thread was closed not only because it was unrelated to sailing, but also because it was acrimonious. Hot political issues like global warming tend to bring out the worst in people, who end up quarrelling without hearing each other. Cruisers Forum is not a venue for this kind of brawl. And trolling for a brawl is a heinous violation of our rules which will draw harsh consequences. So don't do it.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 07:36   #8

Quote:
In your sailing environment, whether local or on a global scale, have you noticed changes in the weather that add new challenges to sailing?
No. Weather is constantly changing. If there might be a few more windy or calm days this year than last, that doesn't change the challenges of sailing. You still will find yourself, at one time or another, sailing in almost any and all different conditions. The challenges don't change.

And, despite your protestations to the contrary, it is quite obvious that what you REALLY are trying to talk about--without talking about it--is climate change.

Please. Give it a rest, or take it somewhere else.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 07:39   #9

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
And, despite your protestations to the contrary, it is quite obvious that what you REALLY are trying to talk about--without talking about it--is climate change.
And insulting people at the same time...
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 08:02   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I'm noticing changes in migration patterns and ranges of birds and fish. A couple of weeks ago I saw a Moorish Idol at Latitude 29 N in the Sea of Cortez. That fish shouldn't be that far north, and probably won't be able to survive the winter at this point. I also saw a Red Knot on the beach at this latitude. Okay, there have always been anomolies such as this, but why are we seeing more anomalies now than ever before? More birds getting blown off their migration paths?

I do NOT study climate as part of my research, but if I did I'd want to investigate changes in the frequency of El Nino/Southern Oscillations. Increased ENSO frequency would certainly have impact on cruisers. Increased El Nino frequency in a climate model forced by future greenhouse warming : Abstract : Nature
Old 21-08-2013, 08:02   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Climate changes every time I sail over the last 50 years some years good some years bad!!! But I always have wind and water, until of course my bows in the trees the I've run out of seas

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 08:14   #12

A cavaet, while recuperating from foot surgery I have not been on the water since the end of May.

It seems that the jet streams in the NE Pacific (that would also be the Pacific Northwest) are further south that normal. Normally in the summer low pressure systems track through the Gulf of Alaska, but more seem to be tracking further south.

The jet stream has been behaving oddly. Some of you are aware of the floods that hit Calgary. One portion of the jet stream "broke away" and created a counter-clockwise circular pattern that stalled over our area. That resulted in the huge downpours we had. We have also had a some omega blocks this summer.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 08:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
Climate changes every time I sail over the last 50 years some years good some years bad!!! But I always have wind and water, until of course my bows in the trees the I've run out of seas
I've nearly completed two circumnavigations, and my experience between them with both wind and wind direction was markedly different.

My experience alone does not necessarily reflect the norm, so hopefully enough people who have done the same will share their experience. Similar or different from mine. Typical variability? Probably not possible to get enough input in this thread to suggest a pattern.

On my first passage between April and May, 2000 through the convergence zone between Mexico and the Marquesas, I experienced wall to wall squalls, day and night. On the second (April and May, 2009), most of the passage was windless except for large, night time squalls. That's mainly why the first passage took 32 days and the second 42.

Between the Marquesas and Australia, on the first passage wind direction and strength were both mostly favourable. On the second, I experience extremes in wind strength, stronger or weaker than on my first voyage. I also encountered more headwinds. The same between Australia, Madagascar and especially between Madagascar and South Africa. Was ready to part with my boat by the time I reached Durban... 17 days on the first trip, 32 on the second.

Crossing the Atlantic was pretty much the same between the two voyages. Same between Fortaleza and Trinidad. Trinidad all the way to the U.S. Virgin Islands was markedly different. Extremes on the wind scale were more noticeable with an increase in time spent motoring/motor-sailing close on the wind. The current isn't something I recall being an issue on my first trip up the Caribbean. A big issue on the second.

My route south of the islands to Grand Caymen, and Grand Caymen to Galveston was about the same - except for the norther I encountered this time that had me hove-to a full day and night. Also, persistent pesky north wind last 100 n.m. into Galveston. Didn't have that the first time.

Rita in 2005. Nothing yet.

Only my experience. Yours?
Old 21-08-2013, 09:59   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There's no way that you will get any useful information by comparing a couple of circumnavigations, passages, etc. There's just too much variability. I'm pretty sure that you already know this, too.

I've not done any circumnavigations, but in my numerous mainland / Hawaii crossings the conditions have always been similar, but different. The most pronounced difference was the position of the Pacific High and related low-pressure systems in 2010 and 2012 vs previous years, but this stuff varies on a multi-year basis.

If you are truly interested in this subject, I suggest that you look at the historical weather charts and data made available by NOAA. Some of this data goes all the way back to the 1970's. Here are some links:
SRRS Analysis and Forecast Charts
HDSS Access System,Dataset Selection
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 10:11   #15

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Okay, there have always been anomolies such as this, but why are we seeing more anomalies now than ever before? More birds getting blown off their migration paths?

Could it simply be that there are more people than ever out there "seeing" things and having a much easier time in communicating it to others?

This summer in Florida we have a lot more rain than we have had for a number of years. Also, the "pattern" is not like it was years ago when we had lots of rain.

Only my personal observations but.........
When one has only a motorcycle for transportation one tends to be acutely aware of when, where and how much rain is coming down. (that was in the "old days")