Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-08-2013, 18:06   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Re: Noticed any Change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
News Flash!! On this day last year it rained - this year it didn't. go figure.
And there you have it in a nutshell.

Thanks John.

Old 21-08-2013, 19:08   #32
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Noticed any Change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Ramadan is, I believe, an Islamic holy month. The Islamic calender is lunar rather than solar based.
The Winner... I wish I good give you a Sooper Dooper Mantus Anchor but I'd be stepping on Saucy's toes with that...
My personal observations are the weather seems to work on an 11 year cycle... but then I've been pratting about on the water for a while one way or the other...
Doubtless there's a Google or Wiki expert about who'll shoot me outa the water..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 19:25   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I haven't noticed anything. But we only rtwed once. Maybe next time.

b.
Old 21-08-2013, 19:32   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I'm in Maine this summer and the water temperature while not as warm as last summer is still way warmer than it was when I was a kid up here in the 50's and 60s. We Loved the middle of August back then because once in a while the water temperature would actually reach 60 degrees f before it started down again. This year its in the mid to upper 60s. last year it was in the low 70s. This never happened 50 years ago. How has it affected sailing? You don't6 have to bundle up to stay warm.
Old 21-08-2013, 19:33   #35
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Noticed any change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Could it simply be that there are more people than ever out there "seeing" things and having a much easier time in communicating it to others?
Absolutely. We have better access to data all the time, and better instruments with which to collect data, and better programs with which to process the data. And all the people working with all that new stuff suggest that major changes are afoot. The only people who don't seem to agree work for FOX news.

But the OP asked what we have observed personally. My response was that I have observed significant changes in migrations and ranges of fish and birds. That's just me. Last weekend I came back from 17 days in Baja, over which I recorded a couple hundred pages of field notes. I was last there in March, and will be there next in December. I've been doing this for decades, and have accumulated thousands of pages of field observations. In my opinion, change is taking place.

Migrations are off, and ranges are skewed. You can take that to the bank, regardless of what channel you tune in to.
Old 22-08-2013, 08:51   #36

The most significant change I've encountered affecting my sailor, live aboard lifestyle, is municipalities taking ownership of anchorages. I've never looked into federal and state laws in an attempt to determine the legality of this. Like most other cruisers I like to avoid complications in my life by getting involved in something that may obligate me to stay in one place. Wouldn't waste the time unless I was determined to carry through, bring legal actions and such.

Anyway, they've taken control of once free and open anchorages, whether legal or not. Moorings have gone in and payment is required. Restrictions have been imposed, preventing anchoring for more than a few days or if your lucky, 3 weeks. Wouldn't be a problem if it was still possible to move between anchorages, but typically sheltered anchorages with unencumbered access to transportation and services are not near enough together to make this practical.

So, I can't help to have noticed this change since it has made it impossible for me to continue living my lifestyle living aboard, on the hook, in desirable locations.
Old 22-08-2013, 09:10   #37

Harbor entrance narrowed a bit due to Hurricane Sandy. A little more current but, nothing major. New inlet along the south shore of the island. Flushing the bay more so the waters are getting cleaner and fisherman report fishing is much better. So it's a good thing. Beachfront homeowners not happy about it but, I hope it becomes another place to duck into from the Atlantic.
Old 22-08-2013, 09:36   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

hurricane jova opened this place to deeper boats, then it got shut back down, as per alleged norm--this is a sand bar , after all, and mobile.....2010 i went from lovely warm 38 f san diego to lovely spozed to be warmer louisiana--now orleans,and watched the mardi gras parades in 29 f cold...and louisiana is a lil farther south than is san diego...lol
water temps have remained same in ocean--usual la nina and el n9no changes which affect the migratory habits of fish and fowl...

kali still burns down every few years and the furycames come every summer--- we have had more of them this year than alleged norm, but then we had la nina , el nino, la nina and then another el nino or la nina before this neither one year--lol so what is norm.....

yes climate change is occurring, but, there is always change. there has to be a lot of change for the scientists who declared in my 4th school year that we are going to have a rise in water level in this world by 2025--and state the earth is on schedule for this--lol i am looking forward to it. i have my boat--bring it on...i was in 4th grade in the 1950s. they knew then the water is rising.. i am ready.

as for the migratory patterns of fishies---try to remember this nation, mexico, overfishes its waters. could perhaps the combo of fewer fishies and the warmer currents of the past 4 yrs have done something to that pattern.......if n0 fish, therefore n0 birdies t0 eat them damn fishies that wont answer your or my lures.
future is what is brought to us as it happens, and there is no written law saying what our climates should remain..... planet earth changes and we cannot stop it from so doing.
mebbe we should learn from the allegedly rigid cat--has evolved well over time and endured even radical change...not bad for a rigid critter that dislikes change, ye think....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 10:06   #39

Been sailing in SoCal for over 30 years. I've noticed we get gale warnings several times each winter, last few years, didn't have that many when I started sailing. Wonder if the weather people have eased the criteria.....maybe it's a bit windier, but not enough (to me) to be actually more gales.
Old 22-08-2013, 19:32   #40

Boat: contessa 32

Saw a gar (southern fish) in hudson River this year @42.5 degrees N. lat..
Was in Negril Jamica a few years back and inquired about local road that is flooded at high tide,life long resident claimed it never did that in the past.
Old 22-08-2013, 19:51   #41

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

???We have gars living in Northern Lower Michigan, 45th N Lat.
Old 23-08-2013, 11:21   #42

Boat: contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
???We have gars living in Northern Lower Michigan, 45th N Lat.
must be one of those cruising gars.
Old 27-08-2013, 18:19   #43

Boat: PSC 34
I flew all over the world as a pilot from the 1960s till 2005 and the last 10 years seemed the most turbulent almost everywhere.the lake in Maine that I grew up on has crawdads now. What's up with that? The bay is warmer now so the lobsters are moving north. I have no idea what any of this means. There is not much wind this summer.
Old 27-08-2013, 19:05   #44

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

The most significant change I see is the rising fuel cost. I wonder why

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: