Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2008, 14:24   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dunno how you can make a US car rental reach $150 per day, there is usually something for $50-75 including pretty much whatever you need. Especially if you avoid Hertz and Avis and ask at the other companies. It also helsp to avoid "airport" rental locations, where there is often a surcharge. I wouldn't be surprised to hit $75, but I'd walk out before I paid $100/day.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 14:36   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Rented a SUV in Vero Beach for the weekend in December to do some provisioning before crossing to the Bahamas. Just over $50 for the whole weekend. That included all the terrible rental car taxes they have in Florida. Where they rip you is on the insurance. I never get the insurance as I have coverage for rentals on my car insurance. I usually use Enterprise now as they'll pick you up and you're right about the airport locations.
Old 24-04-2008, 14:40   #18

Boat: Clark San Juan 21 -- Caledonia Bound
Send a message via MSN to DefiantSix
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Dunno how you can make a US car rental reach $150 per day, there is usually something for $50-75 including pretty much whatever you need. Especially if you avoid Hertz and Avis and ask at the other companies. It also helsp to avoid "airport" rental locations, where there is often a surcharge. I wouldn't be surprised to hit $75, but I'd walk out before I paid $100/day.
Somebody really raped and pillaged the ol' wallet. I really have to be trying to pad the expense report if I can't almost anything I want for around $40 - $60 a day - including taxes and insurance.

-- Marcus Aurelius Caesar
DefiantSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 15:28   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantSix View Post
Somebody really raped and pillaged the ol' wallet. I really have to be trying to pad the expense report if I can't almost anything I want for around $40 - $60 a day - including taxes and insurance.
Yes, but you'all know how to get the cheap rates because you are LOCALS!!!!!!!!! Thats what I mean, its harder for a forigner to find them. It takes time on the ground to get to know the choicest bargains Same with accomodation. Hostels are virtually unknown in the USA - but who wants a bunk bed with 8 sweaty backpackers at our age?
The $150 per day rent a car was at the airport when I had a few hours to get out of town and none of the car companies would give me a rate! I had to ring their 1.800 number. But we didnt have a mobile phone!!!!!! We now have 3 different mobile phones! One for USA, one for here and one for australia!!!!!!!!!!!!! See the type of stupid things that make extra expenses?

Quote:
Here's a website I started for 393 owners
Rick: I'm in that forum, have been for a few months. Its great! Thanks for setting it up.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 15:55   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Transport and accomodation combined...

I have detected whispers that it is possible to buy a camper van in the US of A, tour the country and sell at the end without being financially crippled.

True?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 16:13   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I have detected whispers that it is possible to buy a camper van in the US of A, tour the country and sell at the end without being financially crippled.

True?
True. In 1992 I bought a small camper van in Wachington DC for $3,300 and sold it in LA for $5,500.

But I bought in winter and sold in summer. It was a VW camper like a more modern Combi van. Really good

How about buying a white tradesmans van and chucking a foam matteress in the back, an esky and a camping stove? Buy it for $1000 and sell to a wrecker at the end?

In the USA you really need a vehicle.

Old 24-04-2008, 16:59   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Hi Mark,
I can feel the frustration in your posts and if it helps you some, rest assured….. We’ve all been there!

Some observations and advice from my own personal experiences:

When you buy a used boat, there is a tendency to try and make everything perfect and to improve on designed features to match your own personal tastes. Resist all of that for a couple of years, check every hose clamp and fastening, test all the listed spare parts to make sure that they fit and also work and focus on low cost sailing with what you have.

Red Tape is a necessary evil, meant to test us and discern if we have the character and patience to sit in these man-made “doldrums”. ……Enjoy this artificial quiet time with your loved one making her feel secure and cherished knowing that soon the winds will blow you towards your next adventure and that you have acquired the patience to wait for the fates to align in your favour.

I am curious Mark, if you had to do it again, what would you have learned from this expeience?

Would you still look for a boat in the Caribbean knowing that overheads are high?

Would you find a good rental base in an established sailing State where you have identified a number of potential purchases and take your time?

Or,

Would you buy a camper to live in, bird-dog the East coast by internet and drive along a Holiday itinerary looking at prospects?

What would you do differently?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 17:07   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

How about buying a white tradesmans van and chucking a foam matteress in the back, an esky and a camping stove? Buy it for $1000 and sell to a wrecker at the end?
In regards to Nicole - As they say in the US Foster's ads - "Keepah!"

She sounds like a gem. I can't imagine the look I would get if I asked my commander to wash my undies, in a boat sink no less - LOL.

In regards to the boat - congratulations!!!!! :cubalibre

She is also a keepah. In regards to it getting easier - or cheaper - well...

In regards to having to wait around St. Martins? I sympathize. no, really. I truly sympathize - LOL....

If you cruising ever gets you in my neck of the woods, stop in to Changi. We'll find you some low cost local deals, we have a few Aussies about and you won't even have to speak French!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 17:27   #24

G'day Mark

I am planning to do the same as you in about 18 months time-but in a different part of the world.
I am looking at buying in Europe and looking at differences between Mediterranean and Netherlands.
Boats in The Netherlands appear to be relatively cheaper when equipment and VAT status is taken into account.
Am interested in the process of re-registering under Australian flag even though I appreciate difficulties regarding extended stay in EU waters.

Mark
markje4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 04:30   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by markje4 View Post
Am interested in the process of re-registering under Australian
Mark
A great bunch of information on Guide to registering a ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
In regards to Nicole - As they say in the US Foster's ads - "Keepah!"

Yeah, she’s not too bad. If she keeps the boat looking good (and I mean great) then she can hang around for a while. Next job is to learn to fish. No, not that part! I get to pull it in, she gets to take it off the hook, clean it and cook it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Mark,
I can feel the frustration in your posts
Its not really frustration. Its more a warning to those dreaming to buy the absolute bargain overseas and take it home and sell it for a profit. We have seen so many posts on here from new members who ask these type questions and I think they feel its like walking along a marina, selecting the boat, transferring some money and hopping aboard casting off into the sunset. Without factoring in the extra expenses the cruising kitty is depleted. So you own the boat but can't eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

What would you do differently?
Have an extra $10,000 in contingency money. Seriously.

Mark

Look at this slack crew! Pillows on watch!! Sheets not neatly coiled!!! And NO HANDS ON THE WHEEL!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	april08162.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	3426  

Old 25-04-2008, 05:12   #26

Every new endeavor is a learning experience for sure.

I think you are almost better off buying from a private seller when looking in the Caribbean. The boat was sailed from somewhere to get to the islands so it will be properly commissioned for the journey. If it is a live aboard the boat may well have everything you need to continue on (bedding, galley supplies, spares, ground tackle),,,, pretty endless list actually. Most charter boats do not have a full compliment of canvas such as side curtains and a dodger, they makes a huge difference in livability, adding it it can be quite expensive.

Looks like your have fun though!

Cheers,

Joli
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote