Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 12:50   #76

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: New Power Generator that relies on magnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Gee makes sense to me...

Here's a link from Nasa. Black Holes - NASA Science.

A black hole is not a hole. It's a rather large neutron star. A small neutron star has a gravity acceleration of roughly 2×10^11 times stronger then the earth.

A black hole is a massive neutron star who's gravity acceleration exceeds the speed of light. It not a hole, it just looks like one. The only thing that escapes a black hole is gravity. The xray and other emissions occur at the event horizon which is not the surface of the black hole, where the atoms are striped on protons and electrons.
Black holes are fascinating.

They are what SailorChic described. They are so massive that they collapse into themselves. The critical mass for this phenomenon is about 3x that of our sun (from memory), and all this mass ends up almost infinitely dense, occupying space jillions of times smaller than a proton.

Here is something good about it:

Ten things you don't know about black holes - Bad Astronomy : Bad Astronomy
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:51   #77
LaT

Hey Dockhead, I agree with what you said.
I said it took a long time before it was accepted. There were scientist at that time (of the wright brothers) that said it was not theoretically possible to fly in something heavier than air. My point was that they had to change their opinion - they could have been more open minded.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:52   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaT View Post
sailorchic34, long time ago I was educated an engineer. Lost some, but the mind is still there
Well, you gave an example with Krivit and for some reason he has decided that Rossi is no good. The picture of Rossi he uses is just a good sign of what is going to come out of his mouth. I think Krivit is rather alone with this type of critic. I know only one person in that mind his name is Pomp at the university of Uppsala Sweden.
There are other sources. Take Lewan's book or go to a blog about LENR. It will be less of cut and dry judgment.
As I said; I do not have the answer but an open mind.
I would like to have a silent generator and use electrical propulsion for maneuvers. (I still would prefer to sail.)
I agree Kivit may be biased, but if your read the links included at the bottom of the page, it shows Mr. Rossi being less then successful.

Mind you I would love a new cold fusion system that produces usable energy. I do agree there are some cases that show something happening. But Rossi's Ecat Ain't it.

You can have a silent generator for power today. Just place 20 solar panels over a boat and you have free energy at ~4kw for 6 ish hours a day.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:52   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
[...]So with that thought, I decided that the vacuum triode ( A very simple amplifier, that was replaced by transistors well over 60 years ago), [...]
This zero-point energy insanity, which the originator called a "vacuum triode" has absolutely nothing to do with the triode vacuum tube. This confused me for a couple of minutes when I started searching for details, since I was of course looking for stuff related to the common triode tube. By the way, triodes are still used in some high-power radio circuits, as well in "golden ear" audiophile gear and guitar amplifiers where a certain type of distortion is the goal.

Anyway, the "vacuum triode" being discussed here is, I suppose, called that because it has three terminals, sort of, and is supposed to extract energy from the "vacuum", if someone can ever get it to work. Which they haven't and won't.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:56   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum View Post
Always follow the evidence no matter where it leads, no matter how unpalatable the path it follows might be to your faith in something you want to be true.

Believing is easy, and requires only faith. Science is hard; and worth it.
Excellent advise. Look for proof, ability to replicate tests and show consistent results when the device or "theory" is tested by others that are independent of the inventor and unbiased.

The common issue with all of these amazing energy devices is that other testers are not able to duplicate the results. The "inventors" claim conspiracy, secret technology that they won't reveal and a whole host of other excuses. Even if any of that were true I still ask, if these things really work how come the inventors aren't selling them and getting rich? Why aren't they available on Amazon?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:58   #81
LaT

sailorchic34
We will see soon. Rossi and IH will produce a report within days after a year long test. If I am right we will both be happy and you will not mind eating some . . . .
Solar panels are in the way and they are vulnerable, I think. Better than nothing but not enough for propulsion even on a sunny day.
Old 02-04-2016, 13:07   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaT View Post
sailorchic34, long time ago I was educated an engineer. Lost some, but the mind is still there
Well, you gave an example with Krivit and for some reason he has decided that Rossi is no good. The picture of Rossi he uses is just a good sign of what is going to come out of his mouth. I think Krivit is rather alone with this type of critic. I know only one person in that mind his name is Pomp at the university of Uppsala Sweden.
There are other sources. Take Lewan's book or go to a blog about LENR. It will be less of cut and dry judgment.
As I said; I do not have the answer but an open mind.
I would like to have a silent generator and use electrical propulsion for maneuvers. (I still would prefer to sail.)
Here's a little background information on Andrea Rossi. Somehow for me this doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in his honesty, character nor credibility in his "inventions".

Andrea Rossi (born 3 June 1950) is an Italian entrepreneur who was convicted of fraud in the 1990s, and who claims to have invented a cold fusion device.

In the 1970s, Rossi falsely claimed to have invented a process to convert organic waste into oil, and in 1978 he founded a company named Petroldragon to process waste. In the early 1990s, the company collapsed upon discovery that it was dumping toxic waste into the environment, and Rossi was jailed and later convicted for tax fraud and environmental crime.

In 2008, after moving to the United States, Rossi attempted to patent a device called an Energy Catalyzer (or E-Cat), which is a purported cold fusion or Low-Energy Nuclear Reaction (LENR) thermal power source.[6] Rossi claims that the device produces massive amounts of excess heat that can be used to produce electricity, but independent attempts to reproduce the effect have failed.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 13:13   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
and all this mass ends up almost infinitely dense, occupying space jillions of times smaller than a proton.

Here is something good about it:

Ten things you don't know about black holes - Bad Astronomy : Bad Astronomy

Hum, I'll disagree about black holes being a point source. super massive black holes can be up to 400 AU in Diameter or larger. From a mathematical model it's a point. And it may be. But I don't thing so. That is I don't think it's a point / singularity. Oddly enough nether does Hawking.

Stephen Hawking: 'There are no black holes' : Nature News & Comment
Old 02-04-2016, 13:14   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraw2010 View Post
He built a generator with no moving parts
Its called an RTG. However I doubt that is what he built, and anything less then nuclear power cannot do what he is talking about.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 13:20   #85

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Sorry if I lost a post or I'm being redundant. I had to go back and see what it started as. A 9V battery producing 500W. The whole thing has become ridiculous.

I have probably contributed to that? It has gotten so far out in left field it has nothing to do with sailing or propulsion.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 13:23   #86

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I have probably contributed to that? It has gotten so far out in left field it has nothing to do with sailing or propulsion.
Check my last post. I discuss GPS clock corrections.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 13:28   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Hum, I'll disagree about black holes being a point source. super massive black holes can be up to 400 AU in Diameter or larger. From a mathematical model it's a point. And it may be. But I don't thing so. That is I don't think it's a point / singularity. Oddly enough nether does Hawking.

Stephen Hawking: 'There are no black holes' : Nature News & Comment
You missed the word "almost".

They are not infinitely small, that is, singularities or points. I don't think there's any controversy about that.

But according to the math, they are extremely small, far smaller than atomic particles. I say "according to the math" because, of course, no observations are possible.

Hawking has an idea which is completely at odds with what is currently thought about black holes -- no such thing as an event horizon, etc.

He might well be right (for all I know), but I'm talking about the conventional view.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 13:34   #88

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Check my last post. I discuss GPS clock corrections.
Don't do partial quotes. I went back and couldn't find GPS clock corrections?

Even at that, what is the connection to the OP?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 13:35   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Einstein realized that a gravitation field distorts the fabric of space and time causing the path of electromagnetic radiation to appear to an outside observer to bend when under the influence of gravitation field. This effect is routinely observed by astronomers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_lens. We also compensate for this distortion by adjusting the clock speed on the GPS satellites.

Roughly speaking then, at the event horizon of a black hole, the space/time continuum is warped sufficiently enough to prevent electromagnetic radiation from escaping.
I am not so sure Einstein has it 100% right about space time and gravity.

In any case, here's a link to what I'm taking about. Black Holes

Whereas:
The event horizon is the point outside the black hole where the gravitational attraction becomes so strong that the escape velocity (the velocity at which an object would have to go to escape the gravitational field) equals the speed of light.

Old 02-04-2016, 13:50   #90

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Don't do partial quotes. I went back and couldn't find GPS clock corrections?

Even at that, what is the connection to the OP?
First you didn't look very hard, try post 75. Second, you were complaining about relevance to sailing and not to the OP. I have found the GPS system very relevant to navigation and sailing. Most sailors find that adjustment of the GPS satellite clocks to correct for relativistic effects interesting.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator