Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2016, 21:05   #136

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Re: New Power Generator that relies on magnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Note that I'm not claiming that we understand everything in this universe. Here's an example of an "impossible" technology that appears to be real: https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015...stic-em-drive/

But note that this isn't being suppressed, but instead being publically evaluated by NASA.
NASA indeed tested the EM drive. They did not conclude that it was usefull, or worked...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 21:08   #137

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
The NASASpaceflight.com group has given consideration to whether the experimental measurements of thrust force were the result of an artifact. Despite considerable effort within the NASASpaceflight.com forum to dismiss the reported thrust as an artifact, the EM Drive results have yet to be falsified.
You do realise that "NASASpaceflight.com" has nothing to do with NASA?
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 21:38   #138

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

In fact, when I first read the link I thought it was a NASA website. The second visit to re-read I noticed otherwise.

That forum's involvement with this subject is discussed in the article.

I believe it states that the scientists involved from all three countries joined the discussion and found it useful.

I'm not really interested trying to prove anything here or debate the subject. So I'll just move along now.
Old 03-04-2016, 22:47   #139

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Edit....actually the document below doesn't contain the phrase "EM" drive. Does mention research on quantum vacuum (Dirac Sea). And is the lab and scientist referenced by the site linked earlier.

What NASA has to say about the EM drive can be found here...

NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) - Eagleworks Laboratories: Advanced Propulsion Physics Research

A link to the full text pdf there as well. A bit too big to attach, 800kb.

Since the work being pursued by this laboratory is applied scientific research in the areas of the quantum vacuum, gravitation, nature of space-time, and other fundamental physical phenomenon, high fidelity testing facilities are needed. The lab will first implement a low-thrust torsion pendulum (<1 uN), and commission the facility with an existing Quantum Vacuum Plasma Thruster. To date, the QVPT line of research has produced data suggesting very high specific impulse coupled with high specific force. If the physics and engineering models can be explored and understood in the lab to allow scaling to power levels pertinent for human spaceflight, 400kW SEP human missions to Mars may become a possibility, and at power levels of 2MW, 1-year transit to Neptune may also be possible.
Old 03-04-2016, 23:04   #140

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
the problem is sourcing the dilithium crystals

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
You're behind times. The new units use Unobtanium.
This is just so messed up. Unobtanium has been around since the 50's so it doesn't matter whether your timeline has dilithium crystals in the 60's or that we don't actually know of their existence yet because we haven't experienced the future, Unobtanium was discovered first and so was used in the older units.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium

None of the above really matters as Cheddite is much better and more powerful than either of the above. It is described in great detail in the documentary "Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers" by Harry Harrison

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_S...Galaxy_Rangers

Chuck van Chider and his friend Jerry Courtenay, accidentally invent a device that can transport them through space, powered by a substance called "Cheddite", which is created by irradiating Cheddar cheese.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:06   #141

Boat: Island Packet 40

What I really need is the antigravity gadget to help me get the mongrel dingy aboard and up and down beaches without giving myself a hernia.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:58   #142

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
The Nasa EM thruster, is a very low thrust (like a few newtons of force... tiny) device that does NOT do in any way violate newtons laws. It's a simple microwave magnatron in a tuned resonator. Thrust is developed not by the microwaves hitting the back plate (that would violate newtons laws) but as a vector shift when the particles/waves reflect off the angled walls. Very tiny thrust. Like a feather. But then no fuel is required, so pretty handy for satellite positioning.

That 4 hours to the moon thingy is the marketing guys talking. Sort of like the 200 mpg carb.
Maybe the friend of the OPer is in space? A Space Cadet, that is why it works.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator