Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-10-2007, 11:27   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Some lessons/help from a few and you will be fine.
PS - tie your tiller off when you leave so it does not get damaged.

Old 28-10-2007, 11:42   #17

Boat: Westfield UK Kingfisher 20+ - Rabbit
Send a message via AIM to sluissa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa La O La View Post
Hey,
So where is that picture? Brown Marine?

Gary
It just changed it's name to Pelican's Perch Marina now, but yes, same place. Oddly enough same place my grandfather used to keep his boat about 30 years ago. It's just there temporarily, until I can sail it to a nearby bay where my parents house is.

Old 28-10-2007, 14:57   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluissa View Post
So, I took her out yesterday. It was just me and my mother who wanted to learn how to sail too. In hindsight it might not have been the best idea, but we both laughed, provided some evening entertainment for the rest of the marina, and still had fun and nothing got damaged and nobody got hurt.

Started out rigging up the sailboat to go out. Wind was blowing a bit, a little under 20 mph I think, according to the weather. I told my mom we should probably reef the main. She said, "Well, how do you do that." I stood there for a minute, staring at the sail, the reefing line and the reefing points, and realized I'd only heard it described before, never actually been taught how to reef and had little idea how to on this new to me boat. I told her, "Well, we would reef it, if only I knew how." We both had a chuckle at that and just decided to go out using only the storm jib. This turned out to be the best decision of the trip.
. . . one minute I was holding onto the life lines and she had her arms wrapped around the pier and the boat wasn't moving, the next minute she was stuck out in the middle of the marina, tied only by the stern line to a post just too far out to reach, and me standing on the pier trying to think of something to do. There we are, with the engine running, I'm trying to give her directions, she can't hear, she's trying stuff, people are watching us, probably having a good laugh, possibly making bets to see if we come back alive. Eventually after 10-15 minutes of dangling out there, and about 5 minute from me taking a swim she manages to toss a rope to me and I pull her back over to the pier and hop on. . . .
Reminds me of the first time I went sailing. I was about 12 or 13 and my Dad decided to rent a Sunfish at an ice cold mountain lake. Did the paperwork and then Dad said, "Ok jump in. I'll untie us." So I sat there holding the tiller and stepping on the main sheet. A gust of wind came up and Dad yelled, " Let go of that." So I let go of the tiller and while all the other boats had there booms off to starboard mine was sitting over the centerline of the boat. Before I knew what happened the boat was laying on its side and I was looking up at the dock from the water wondering what had happened.

Been sailing ever since.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 14:58   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluissa View Post
So, I took her out yesterday. It was just me and my mother who wanted to learn how to sail too. In hindsight it might not have been the best idea, but we both laughed, provided some evening entertainment for the rest of the marina, and still had fun and nothing got damaged and nobody got hurt.

Started out rigging up the sailboat to go out. Wind was blowing a bit, a little under 20 mph I think, according to the weather. I told my mom we should probably reef the main. She said, "Well, how do you do that." I stood there for a minute, staring at the sail, the reefing line and the reefing points, and realized I'd only heard it described before, never actually been taught how to reef and had little idea how to on this new to me boat. I told her, "Well, we would reef it, if only I knew how." We both had a chuckle at that and just decided to go out using only the storm jib. This turned out to be the best decision of the trip.
. . . one minute I was holding onto the life lines and she had her arms wrapped around the pier and the boat wasn't moving, the next minute she was stuck out in the middle of the marina, tied only by the stern line to a post just too far out to reach, and me standing on the pier trying to think of something to do. There we are, with the engine running, I'm trying to give her directions, she can't hear, she's trying stuff, people are watching us, probably having a good laugh, possibly making bets to see if we come back alive. Eventually after 10-15 minutes of dangling out there, and about 5 minute from me taking a swim she manages to toss a rope to me and I pull her back over to the pier and hop on. . . .
Reminds me of the first time I went sailing. I was about 12 or 13 and my Dad decided to rent a Sunfish at an ice cold mountain lake. Did the paperwork and then Dad said, "Ok jump in. I'll untie us." So I sat there holding the tiller and stepping on the main sheet. A gust of wind came up and Dad yelled, " Let go of that." So I let go of the tiller and while all the other boats had there booms off to starboard mine was sitting over the centerline of the boat. Before I knew what happened the boat was laying on its side and I was looking up at the dock from the water wondering what had happened.

Been sailing ever since.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 15:26   #20

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
Congratulations! Having been a member here for a while, you probably really know more than you think you do.

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 17:32   #21

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Damn!! She is A cute looking boat.
More power to you.

Paul
Old 28-10-2007, 17:42   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Great story - Don't worry - Mum will keep sailing until she's convinced you won't kill yourself - She's a mum - It's her job - LOL.

Seriously - Sounds like you are learning and the best bit is you are being cautious. That's a good thing.

Now that it's your boat - You might consider a "training" plan. Take her out and practice motoring up to and stopping by buoys in various wind conditions. Then raise the main only and practice doing the same under sail. These two skills - getting in and out under power and sail are very important. We had a person with an engine out last weekend and we all had a good time while he made about 10 high speed passes at his buoy under sail. He'd never had to do that before.

Then get out of course and practice tacks and gybes and setting different amounts of sail, including reefs. Most importantly, have fun. Sounds like you are doing great!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 18:15   #23

That is a GREAT looking boat! Post more pictures of the boat including the interior if you can. I'm sure you are very proud.
Old 28-10-2007, 19:06   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Great story - Don't worry - Mum will keep sailing until she's convinced you won't kill yourself - She's a mum - It's her job - LOL.

Seriously - Sounds like you are learning and the best bit is you are being cautious. That's a good thing.

Now that it's your boat - You might consider a "training" plan. Take her out and practice motoring up to and stopping by buoys in various wind conditions. Then raise the main only and practice doing the same under sail. These two skills - getting in and out under power and sail are very important. We had a person with an engine out last weekend and we all had a good time while he made about 10 high speed passes at his buoy under sail. He'd never had to do that before.

Then get out of course and practice tacks and gybes and setting different amounts of sail, including reefs. Most importantly, have fun. Sounds like you are doing great!
I'm still getting lessons, and I looked up how to reef in a sailing book I had bought a couple of years ago, I think I can do it now, easier than I thought.

As for a training schedule, that will be a good idea. By the end of november I plan to have the boat moved to an area with a lot less traffic and a lot more room to mess around, and generally much calmer conditions. Also, the water is shallow enough in most areas to walk to shore if needed. I'll start serious training over there. Where I am now, I'm situated most of the way up a VERY narrow bayou. Not even really enough room to tack, I think. If I lost engine power under most conditions, I'd have to row to get back and hope there wasn't a strong current.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words. I'm glad I provided a few laughs at least, I know everyone here I've told the story to has gotten a good laugh out of it.
Old 28-10-2007, 21:03   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Another missed video moment. Great discription though. Hope you both have a lot of fun and build some great memories. Good luck
Old 29-12-2007, 05:41   #26

Boat: K20+, SII
Excellent little yacht sluissa and she looks to be in a condition to be proud of.

The little K20+'s are superb little yachts for cruising... VERY strongly built with proven ocean crossing ability, a choice of bermudan or junk rig at build and managing two separate cabins inside with 4 full length berths with a separate toilet and hanging compartment!

Boy, these aircraft designers really do know how to get the most from available space!
Old 29-12-2007, 12:50   #27

I'll agree there, strong as heck, and other than the minor annoyance of not being able to stand up inside, there is a ton of room.

I must have missed the request for more pictures, I honestly don't have many right now. the one I posted is currently the best. I'll be sure to take a few next time I'm out there. I always take a camera, I just usually happen to be too busy to use it.
Old 29-12-2007, 17:07   #28

Boat: Morgan 44 - Alert
Way cool boat. I remember one like it in Sodus Bay, NY. I asked about it and the guy told me the previous owner sailed it over from the UK. Tough little boat!
Congrats, and enjoy.
_/)

http://www.latitude43.com

http://lat43north.blogspot.com
pjbsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 21:10   #29

Nice boat, I like the red hull. My Pearson had a red hull. Easy to find in a regatta. Let me know if you come sailing into Mobile Bay
Old 07-01-2008, 07:06   #30

Finally got the boat around to my house. Nice little 8 hour sail to get 30 miles yesterday. Although, overall, less sailing was done than motoring. My dad was with me and between the wind dying, going through narrow areas of the ICW and my dad's impatience, we ended up running the motor almost the whole time. Still, only used about a gallon and a half of gas... love that little thing.

Had a problem when we got it back, we expected to borrow the neighbor's pier for a while, paying rent to them in order to dock the boat there, well, the water there is too shallow. I can JUST get the bow of the boat close enough to step off if I run it hard aground. (soft sand and mud, no worries) but it takes full reverse and me rocking the boat back and forth for about 5 minutes just to get unstuck, and that was at HIGH tide. So for now we've got a rather odd looking little mooring set up. 150 feet of rope to a piling left over from an old dock near the beach, and an anchor out behind the boat. It seems to be keeping it in place, stayed there all night and is still in pretty much the same place this morning only swinging a bit with the little bit of slack it's got.

Still working on the pictures.

I probably won't be taking any long trips anytime soon. School starts for me today, just weekend and afternoon jaunts around Perdido bay for me I think.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: