Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2010, 07:26   #511

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Actually it takes an outboard.

Nice roll cage!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 11:08   #512

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Nice roll cage!
Wellll, you know what some say about Cats flipping.
Old 25-06-2010, 06:15   #513
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Manual for SNAIL SHELL SYSTEM

Personally I think it'd be perfect for Niagara Falls!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 15:18   #514

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Is that a giant coffee cup? Or a very round bathtub? I am surprised that it floats.
Spencer
Old 26-06-2010, 06:11   #515

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post

Manual for SNAIL SHELL SYSTEM

Personally I think it'd be perfect for Niagara Falls!
How long before someone tries to set a record & cross an ocean in one?
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:43   #516
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Semi-serious question.

So this is a semi-serious question. Is it really safe to tow your dingy with people in it? I know, should probably have posted this in the seamanship thread!

knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:38   #517
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Self righting cat

I saw a strange looking vessel being towed up a ramp a few years ago and had to go talk to the owner. It was a cat (6-7 metres) with a massive dome cabin. The owner/builder/designer told me its a cat the right way up, a mono hull on its side and a monohull when upside down. But becuase of the large dome it will will flip back on its hulls when knocked down. He says he has been knocked down entering bars in it and it flipped back up. He went on for ages about its design features.

He told me quite enthusiastically how it surfs down waves on its side all the way through the bar then flips back up. He commented on how keeled boats have the "hammer" effect where the yacht broaches and keel digging into the water while moving sideways cases a roll over which dismasts the yacht. His is also a mono hull on its side so surfs on its side without flipping all the way over and his mast stays intact. He said most cats surf then pitch pole, where his has a flat front on the bridgedeck which digs in to slow the boat when the nose digs in and allows the wave to pas under (prior to where other cats would pitchpole)

His method of going through bars is to ignore the channel and go through the 50cm deap water on its out skirts where the waves can't be very big due to the shallow water. Has got me stumped what he does when he gets further out, and what effect the flat bridgedeck has on the on coming huge waves when he gets to deeper water.

Definitely an interesting Character! My mate and I were going to ask him if he could take us on some bar crossings for a thrill. We were going to take surfboards so we could surf back in should the unthinkable (or in this case highly probable) would happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Something else 1.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	17605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Something else 2.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	17606  

Name:	Something else 3.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	17607  
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 06:09   #518
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Former President Bush's Boat Runs Aground

Beachgoers in Maine had an unexpectedly close encounter with former President George H.W. Bush (Sr.) when his fishing boat ran aground. Bush can often be seen piloting his 38-foot boat off the coast of Kennebunkport. This time, the Fidelity IV ended up stuck on Gooch's Beach for several hours.

It's not clear who was steering the boat, but the former president and some family members were aboard, Bush's personal assistant Jim Appleby told SeacoastOnline.com. The boat had trouble navigating through heavy fog that rolled in at midafternoon and got caught in swells that pushed it onto the public beach, Appleby said.

More ➥ George Bush's boat runs aground at Gooch's Beach | SeacoastOnline.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FidelityIV-Bush.JPEG
Views:	338
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	17901  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 06:15   #519

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
He says he has been knocked down entering bars in it and it flipped back up. He went on for ages about its design features.
Yeah, yeah, I was in Tony's bar the other night and I think I saw him surf through. Or maybe not. Maybe it was President Bush. Lighting was kind of dim.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 08:04   #520

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Beachgoers in Maine had an unexpectedly close encounter with former President George H.W. Bush (Sr.) when his fishing boat ran aground. Bush can often be seen piloting his 38-foot boat off the coast of Kennebunkport. This time, the Fidelity IV ended up stuck on Gooch's Beach for several hours.
I so want to make what would be construed as a political comment, so I'll just have to bite my tongue

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 08:25   #521
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:

It's not clear who was steering the boat, but the former president and some family members were aboard, Bush's personal assistant Jim Appleby told SeacoastOnline.com. The boat had trouble navigating through heavy fog that rolled in at midafternoon and got caught in swells that pushed it onto the public beach, Appleby said.

I guess no one knows how to use a radar onboard
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 09:16   #522
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Good news - Bad news

Quote:

Good news - when you're former president Bush the your staff and the secret service get your boat off the beach.
Bad news - 500 people show up to watch.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 19:01   #523

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:

Apparently Bush Sr. is still so pissed at Clinton about losing the 1992 election he refuses to use GPS with the SA turned off.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 20:30   #524
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
This is wierd

As the vessel gets bigger the people shrink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Probably a 1:25 scale maritime pilot training vessel at Port Revel, near Grenoble (sp?), France. Been training Captains and pilots there since late 1960's on a 4-5ha lake with various scale vessels. Shoreline set up various berthing and docking configuations. The are canals, shallows, wind and current generators so you can run the whole gamut of bad things you might have to deal with. Oh, and the old 18ton scale VLCC (supertanker) has a 1/10th hp motor, comparable to the real thing.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 21:28   #525
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
I so want to make what would be construed as a political comment, so I'll just have to bite my tongue

P.
me too. After all, it really is an ugly boat.

Tags
paracelle