Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 05:48   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Mystery of the Disappearing Lake

A glacial lake in Chile has disappeared, and no one knows exactly why.

Goto: Howstuffworks "How can a lake simply disappear?"

Or: news@nature
And: Ananova - Mystery of the disappearing lake

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:09   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I believe it's only a mystery for the moment, Gord, and once scientists get to the area, it should be fairly self-evident why the lake is no longer there. I would think the fissure in what had been the lake's bottom is a strong clue, and probably indicative of recent earthquake activity. Rupture of a moraine dam is also possible, but indications of that will be obvious. If those signs aren't present, fissuring will probably remain the most likely cause.

TaoJones
Old 04-07-2007, 09:20   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"A glacial lake in Chile has disappeared, and no one knows exactly why."
Sorry Gord, I do know why. A Chinese toothpaste manufacturer needed to replace their ethylene glycol stocks immediately and without arousing government suspicion, so they just stole a billion gallons of water instead.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I know the answer. It's all been pouring out the otherside of the world.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:25   #5

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
A number of years ago, I was playing in a semi pro volleyball tourney at a ... well let us call it a clothing optional resort in Florida near the coast... NOTE: I SAID A NUMBER OF YEARS ago.... 25 maybe???

The resort had a nice lake, several acres and about 4 to 8 foot deep with sandy beaches, where people swam and could row and sail dingy's around when the sea breeze kicked in.

One AM when everyone started fixing coffee, we noticed the lake was gone.... nothing but a mud bowl.. with a few dead fish in small pools. It was rather thick mud but a couple of people walked out into the center (not a grand idea) and saw a large round hole about 3 feet round and 15 feet deep. We all thought that was rather odd and some one had called someone and soon news truck and all sorts of reporters and police were all over the place including some from the Fish and Game department.

They had determined the lake was a former Sink Hole and a "plug" had apparently fallen out of the bottom into the underground caves and aquifer. It must have looked a lot like a toilet flushing during the night when that plug dropped out. Just wonder what would have occurred if it had happened in the day when people were swimming and boating in the area... who knows... a small boat may have plugged it up.

After several months we were told the owners had the hole filled and the normal rains and small creeks feeding the former lake actually returned it to its former size... not sure I would want to take a skinny dip at night in it... the alligators were one thing but getting flushed would be my major concern!!
Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:35   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
We had a great story here in NZ soem years back now. A major Earthquake occured in our Fiordland region. I was lucky enough to be down there at the time and it was my first and only realy major quake I have experianced. Quite exciting. The land was rolling. Anyway, further inland and nmore toward the epicentre, a guy was trout fishing in a small lake in the mountains. He was in a small rowboat. The water in the lake disappeared and the terrified guy lept out of the boat and started running. The water came back and his row boat caught upto him, at which time he then lept back into his boat. I know it must have been terifying to him, but it sounds so damn funnny to the rest of us who can only imagine the story as a seen played out in some cartoon.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote