Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 18:18   #1

My Hypothetical Round-the-World Voyage

I've been thinking about doing a round the world voyage. As I do so, questions are starting to form in my weak little mind. So, I thought I might as well start a thread and see what everyone has to say....

Issue one: scheduling around tropical storms. Assuming a start from the Atlantic side of the U.S. wintering in the Bahamas, Virgin Islands ect. As I understand it you want to be out of that area by mid summer due to the start of the storm season. SO, assuming you head west through the canal, you enter the Pacific in prime storm season.

Is there some standard scheduling that boats circumnavigating use to avoid cyclones?
Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 18:36   #2

All documented. Great book:

Amazon.com: World Cruising Routes: Sixth Edition (9780071592895): Jimmy Cornell: Books

And these help too (sailing directions en route):

Maritime Safety Information
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 18:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
I've been thinking about doing a round the world voyage. As I do so, questions are starting to form in my weak little mind. So, I thought I might as well start a thread and see what everyone has to say....

Issue one: scheduling around tropical storms. Assuming a start from the Atlantic side of the U.S. wintering in the Bahamas, Virgin Islands ect. As I understand it you want to be out of that area by mid summer due to the start of the storm season. SO, assuming you head west through the canal, you enter the Pacific in prime storm season.

Is there some standard scheduling that boats circumnavigating use to avoid cyclones?
Yes. Get a copy of World Cruising Routes by Jimmy Cornell. He's got the timing down pat.
Old 06-09-2010, 18:52   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Yes. Get a copy of World Cruising Routes by Jimmy Cornell. He's got the timing down pat.
Which is mostly a very reasonable interpetation of the NOAA piloting charts you can get for free. These show prevailing winds and patterns for the world for every month of the year. it's a percentages game and these are the bible for the odds.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
round the world