Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2015, 08:27   #46

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Murphy's Marine Laws

As soon as you have purchased a replacement for anything you have lost (applies to parts, tools, dinghies, winch handles, glasses, cell phones, keys) the missing one will turn up.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 08:37   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
There has to be one person somewhere on the planet with a giant bag full of pins.
..... and single socks for that matter!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 08:40   #48

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: The Law of Goop

Quote:
Any type of goop: glue, caulk, bedding compound, paint, grease, thread compound, etc used in any boat job will preferentially stick to fingers, tools, upholstery, varnished woodwork, your wife, the dog or anything else within a 5' radius except the item to which you want to apply that goop.
There's a quite analagous Law of Varnish. At least for those of us who are suckers for boats with way too much teak brightwork. Like goop, varnish will get applied everywhere and to everything much easier than to the actual teak. And for a bonus, it will mysteriously & rather quickly chip, flake, dissolve, or otherwise remove itself from whatever happens to make it onto the teak, but will steadfastly remain on the surrounding gelcoated decks, cabinsides, and stainless fixtures forever. Oh, and the screw-up radius is 10' for varnish instead of the 5' for goop.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 08:48   #49

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Something breaks every day. You will not discover it the same day that it breaks. You will discover it broke only when conditions make it almost impossible to fix.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 09:01   #50
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Bilge pump float switches will operate correctly every time you test one. Until it gets wet.
Old 16-12-2015, 09:04   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
There's a quite analagous Law of Varnish. At least for those of us who are suckers for boats with way too much teak brightwork. Like goop, varnish will get applied everywhere and to everything much easier than to the actual teak. And for a bonus, it will mysteriously & rather quickly chip, flake, dissolve, or otherwise remove itself from whatever happens to make it onto the teak, but will steadfastly remain on the surrounding gelcoated decks, cabinsides, and stainless fixtures forever. Oh, and the screw-up radius is 10' for varnish instead of the 5' for goop.
The second law of varnish. Fresh varnish attracts any insect within a 1/4 mile radius.

The third law of varnish. Starting from bare wood you anticipate 10 coats of varnish to the final, glass smooth, mirror finish. The first nine coats go on perfectly: smooth, clear and without a blemish. The tenth coat you get brush marks, sags, runs, bubbles and of course the aforementioned insects that completely ignored the first nine coats.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 09:09   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Bilge pump float switches will operate correctly every time you test one. Until it gets wet.
Like light bulbs at the top of the mast. They work perfectly when you're up there testing them but fail the second your feet touch the deck.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 09:14   #53
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

This thread is funny. I sure am starting to be able to tell who's been in the bilges and up the masts. And no one has even mentioned 5200 yet.

Or what I'd like to do with the boats previous owner and his tube of silicon adhesive....
Old 16-12-2015, 09:55   #54

Quote:
The second law of varnish. Fresh varnish attracts any insect within a 1/4 mile radius.

The third law of varnish. Starting from bare wood you anticipate 10 coats of varnish to the final, glass smooth, mirror finish. The first nine coats go on perfectly: smooth, clear and without a blemish. The tenth coat you get brush marks, sags, runs, bubbles and of course the aforementioned insects that completely ignored the first nine coats.
4th Law of Varnish: Best not to start too early in the morn on account of the moisture/dew on deck. Best not to finish too late in the day because the stuff won't dry before the next morn's moisture/dew. It will then rain in the few hours left to actually varnish.
Old 16-12-2015, 09:57   #55

Quote:
Like light bulbs at the top of the mast. They work perfectly when you're up there testing them but fail the second your feet touch the deck.
Crap. Kinda wish you hadn't reminded me . . . .
Old 16-12-2015, 11:04   #56

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

The part you need is the one your wife finally convinced you to toss the day before. (It has been in your spares since time began.) Of course trash pick-up was this morning!

As far as caulk goes, every time I re-seam a section of deck, my hand is hell bent on sticking my paw into a beautifully laid seam just after I lift the edge tape and start laying the next bead.
Old 16-12-2015, 11:09   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
As far as caulk goes, every time I re-seam a section of deck, my hand is hell bent on sticking my paw into a beautifully laid seam just after I lift the edge tape and start laying the next bead.
This reminds me of the 5th Law of Varnish.
Old 16-12-2015, 11:12   #58

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
After having squeezed into a tight space and started working, the tool/part you need will be under your butt and not reachable.

After having squeezed into a tight space to work you will find out you didn't take the part/tool with you before crawling into the space.

After crawling back out of the tight space to get the tool/part you thought you either didn't bring, or that was under your butt, you find out it was in your pocket/hand the whole time.
We can do without you reminding us of our infallibility.

So far some good posts and I don't admit anything! (Or is it everything?)
Old 16-12-2015, 11:57   #59

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Murphy's Law about paint cans: the bottoms rust out where they will make the most mess, or ruin the most other *stuff*.
Old 16-12-2015, 11:59   #60

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The new drain tray for the tranny will wedge itself, and when you try to remove it, it will come free so fast that---well, you know already don't you? Lordy, what a mess!

Tags
marine