Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2015, 05:07   #121

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Murphy's Marine Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Good call! and Yup been there done that on other projects, and even sadder more than once.
The unkindest cut of all.

Last week I finally got around to refastening the gooseneck to the mast as a part of an "improvement" to the designer's idea. Halfway thru the project, I had an even better idea that was only half the work of the original idea! By now, I had parts scattered ... you know the drill. So to put all back (just like it was) I had to source 1/4 rivets, and buy a bigger hand riveter from my friend the Amazon. There were only two ways for it to mount ...
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 06:13   #122
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Murphy's Marine Laws

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordMay
... you forgot to install the gasket.

Good call! and Yup been there done that on other projects, and even sadder more then once.
Even sadder, I've done it more than once with the same gasket on the same project. In my defense it was a couple of days between the reassemblies and I didn't do it a third time.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 06:45   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Certainly one of the most annoying things on the planet.

Also, have you noticed that the 2" fine thread bolt you have to remove 1/16 of a turn at a time, is supporting a small, unstressed bracket holding a lightweight, non critical part that could be held on easily by a bolt 1/2" long.
95% of the time!!!

Quote:
only after putting the brand new cylinder head back on to the engine, torquing down all 18 bolts in 20 ft/lb increments over 3 revolutions do you then see that one of the rocker arm mounting studs is bent and it all has to come back off again.
I would have had several attempts to straighten/replace said stud before head re-removal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
... you forgot to install the gasket.
Or there's a head gasket tab that's sticking out of the joint you just finished torquing that clearly has the word "DOWN" visible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
When installing something to the boat that requires mounting with bolts or screws, you always find the exact bolts or screws required in the on-board nut and bolt kit. Murphy tells us that we'll fall one or two less than needed for the job, however.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I occasionally like the red headed stepchild fastener in a group to remind me that life ain't perfect...

I also like to steal matching fasteners from non conspicuous locations so I can deceive myself into thinking that sometimes life is perfect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Ya know, guys, I think this thread ought to be made a sticky, but under a new name: "What They Didn't Tell You at the Boat Show." Whaddaya think?
YES ANN!!! Love it!
Long, but I like your title hyphenated right after?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
The unkindest cut of all.

Last week I finally got around to refastening the gooseneck to the mast as a part of an "improvement" to the designer's idea. Halfway thru the project, I had an even better idea that was only half the work of the original idea! By now, I had parts scattered ... you know the drill. So to put all back (just like it was) I had to source 1/4 rivets, and buy a bigger hand riveter from my friend the Amazon. There were only two ways for it to mount ...
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! !

Silly Crabby... You didn't position yourself correctly during the install....
Attached Images

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 08:10   #124

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Murphy's Marine Laws

A real crab could have done a better job.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 08:44   #125

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Ya know, guys, I think this thread ought to be made a sticky, but under a new name: "What They Didn't Tell You at the Boat Show." Whaddaya think?
I like it, especially considering it's one of those rare, if not unprecedented CF threads that is full of aggravation but no controversy!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 09:07   #126

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

You have to repair part A, and to do so have to remove part B, C, D, E, and F to get to it.

You figure out a better way to do it, so next time it will be easier to get to, without removing part B-F, and is a much simpler design. You get it all reassembled and then realize you missed something and have to take A-F back apart and put it back the way it was.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 21:12   #127

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winf View Post
The favourability of the wind on a passage is directly proportional to the unfavourability of the current. And vice versa.

Winds occur in only two speeds, not enough and too much.
Stuart's corollary - if time is of the essence, both wind and current will be against you. And the strongest winds and strongest currents coincide.

This describes my last 7 days perfectly - I just got in from doing a 7+ day, 750nm delivery from Madang to Port Moresby. W really wanted to be home for Christmas, so motorsailed on engine and main always all the way. How it is possible to go around most of the the north and south coasts of PNG and have both wind and current against you for well over 90% of that route? (contrary to Pilot Guide expectations for December)

Here's the track: https://share.delorme.com/alize

(On a Jeanneau Sun Kiss 45)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 01:16   #128

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I dunno how I have missed this thread for so long... it contains the essence of life float!

Lots of good stuff, and we haven't even begun to consider the effects of Murphy on actual sailing. He turns out to be an expert...

Like, the best way to encourage a wind shift is to laboriously set your big running kite...

The best way to get the excessive wind to abate is to set the storm jib and trysail... which you have never done before, and didn't know that the slides on the trysail didn't fit the mast track quite right and have jammed with the sail fully hoisted...

On Insatiable we call the wind "Lucy", after Lucy Van Pelt, of "Peanuts" fame. You know, that girl who entices Charlie to kick the football and jerks it up at the last moment, causing him to fall flat on his back... over and over. She causes unexpected wind shifts and velocity alterations, usually just after a big effort sail change... a real bitch!

And back to the glasses sliding down the sweaty nose idea... ever have that happen when your hands were covered with 5200 ??

Or notice that disassembling the head for repairs will bring on stomach flu in the crew?

Gawd, I think that Mr Murphy was a yottie...

Jim
Old 22-12-2015, 06:25   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
A real crab could have done a better job.
Real crabs aren't as much fun to have around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I dunno how I have missed this thread for so long... it contains the essence of life float!

Lots of good stuff, and we haven't even begun to consider the effects of Murphy on actual sailing. He turns out to be an expert...

Like, the best way to encourage a wind shift is to laboriously set your big running kite...

The best way to get the excessive wind to abate is to set the storm jib and trysail... which you have never done before, and didn't know that the slides on the trysail didn't fit the mast track quite right and have jammed with the sail fully hoisted...

On Insatiable we call the wind "Lucy", after Lucy Van Pelt, of "Peanuts" fame. You know, that girl who entices Charlie to kick the football and jerks it up at the last moment, causing him to fall flat on his back... over and over. She causes unexpected wind shifts and velocity alterations, usually just after a big effort sail change... a real bitch!

And back to the glasses sliding down the sweaty nose idea... ever have that happen when your hands were covered with 5200 ??

Or notice that disassembling the head for repairs will bring on stomach flu in the crew?

Gawd, I think that Mr Murphy was a yottie...

Jim
I love this Lucy business Jim!
A-b-s-olutely perfect...
I intend to give you guys credit when I utilize the same!

And yes... That lovely trysail that is now jammed up in a ghosting breeze... Perfect analogy...

Old 22-12-2015, 06:58   #130

Boat: Orca 38
Murphy's Marine Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman.ben View Post
when trying to listen to the weather on the vhf you can get it for anyplace but the one you are in or going to.

Or they finally get to your area of interest and the radio breaks up at the exact spot you needed to hear, necessitating 10 more minutes of intense listening.
Old 22-12-2015, 07:01   #131

Boat: Orca 38

Wanna make it stop raining? Put your wet weather gear on. Wanna make it rain? Take it off.
Old 22-12-2015, 07:15   #132

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

going up the mast you will invariably have forgotten 1 or more tools.

Getting smarter with age you will have a line tied to your waist with a small basket on the end so when you find out what you have forgotten you mate can put that tool or spare part in the basket and you can simply haul it up

unfotunately the basket will always catch on a spreader, tip and the prodigal tool or spare part will fall back down unto the deck

corollary 1 - if the tool/part remains on deck - it will have broken in the fall

corollary 2 - if it doesn't break in the fall - it will fall overboard

corollary 3 - it will be the only one of these tools/parts you have on the boat.

corollary 4 - cursing aloud in every language you can think of will not help

corollary 5 - your mate will tell you to mind your tongue

corollary 6 - you will again wonder why you ever ´decided to own a boatand go cruising

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 07:22   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
going up the mast you will invariably have forgotten 1 or more tools.

You forgot the "mad toe stub dash" by the mate trying to avoid said falling part... And the associated heated discussion of your butter fingers post drop...

Old 22-12-2015, 07:23   #134

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Such a pleasure to find that all of you are acquainted wiht Murphy's Law

But how many of you have ever heard of his 2nd Law?

Murphy's Second Law:

No matter how bad things are - they're gonna get worse

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 08:05   #135
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Capt. Edward A. Murphy, Jr.
Murphy's Original Law
"If there’s any way they* can do it wrong, they* will."
* Murphy’s assistants
Improbable Research

"Avoid any action with an unacceptable outcome."