Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2008, 07:30   #1

More career advice

Not long ago I was asking for career advice.

Here's the update: I've been researching and thinking quite a bit about it. I've decided that I'd like a career with the Merchant Marine. My plan is to attend MPT and get STCW95 certified so that I can become an Able Seaman.

Due to the current economic recession, this is being called one of the worst times to be job searching for college graduates, but I believe this downturn will not affect the maritime sector. My ultimate goal is to work with the Military Sealift Command. There should be more employment opportunities here because the U.S. Navy is expanding in size and operation for the next decade.

I was wondering if anyone here has previous experience working in this industry and has any specific advice or caution to impress upon me. It would be much appreciated, advice found here has always been worthwhile....
Old 14-04-2008, 09:47   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Cool you have decided what direction you want to move in - and always nice to hear how a story progresses.

Hopefully folk here can help, that was an enjoyable thread last Xmas
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 05:33   #3

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Two more for your research

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty16 View Post
Here's the update: I've been researching and thinking quite a bit about it. I've decided that I'd like a career with the Merchant Marine. My plan is to attend MPT and get STCW95 certified so that I can become an Able Seaman.
Have you thought about the merchant marine academy?

Also, have you checked out the Chapman School of Seamanship ?

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 07:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
Have you thought about the merchant marine academy?

Also, have you checked out the Chapman School of Seamanship ?
I would have enjoyed the Merchant Marina Academy, but it's a four year program to become an officer. As I have just spent four years getting a degree, I'm not too keen to spend another four. If I could go back in time I would have applied, though.

As for Chapman, it looks like a great school. I'm considering it. The reason I am not full on-board is that it's much more expensive and time consuming ($8k and ~3 months) and seems to offer the same outcome as a week or two of training at MPT. I'll have to start at the bottom and work my way up, regardless of which school I use... so why pay more?
Old 26-04-2008, 00:20   #5

Quote:
I would have enjoyed the Merchant Marina As for Chapman, it looks like a great school. I'm considering it. The reason I am not full on-board is that it's much more expensive and time consuming ($8k and ~3 months) and seems to offer the same outcome as a week or two of training at MPT. I'll have to start at the bottom and work my way up, regardless of which school I use... so why pay more?
Think about it this way:

You are an employer, you have two applicants. One graduated to East Chickaswaw State University and Taxidermy School the other graduated from the University of Virginia. Which one do you think got the better education?

Check out reputation for each of the schools from those that pick the employees. If it's equal -- fine, go with the cheaper. If the majority of the decision makers likes one over the other you choice has been made for you.

It should be just a few emails and you're good.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Old 27-05-2008, 13:20   #6

Hello folks! Just wanted to thank everyone who gave me advice and encouragement, both publicly and privately. Thank you!

Two weeks ago I graduated college, and today I received my acceptance letter to a 3-month long mariner program at Chapman. I am leaving post-haste, driving down to Florida to prepare. I will keep you updated as to my progress.
Old 27-05-2008, 14:40   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Good stuff

And appreciate you keeping folk posted - interested to hear how you get on at Chapman and plans / dreams for the future.......

In celebration of which you can have my 1,000th post (note to self: get a life ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 17:56   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I wish you the best with your career. Looks like your going to be a "hawsepiper" ...which is fine! I graduated form Cal Maritime. We give the hawsepipers a hard time and they give it right back.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 04:13   #9

Quote:
Hello folks! Just wanted to thank everyone who gave me advice and encouragement, both publicly and privately. Thank you!

Two weeks ago I graduated college, and today I received my acceptance letter to a 3-month long mariner program at Chapman. I am leaving post-haste, driving down to Florida to prepare. I will keep you updated as to my progress.
Excellent! We wish you well.

Study hard.

Maren

Old 10-06-2008, 19:15   #10

Boat: 1974 Sabre 28 Mk I - Icefire
Quote:
Not long ago I was asking for career advice.

Due to the current economic recession, this is being called one of the worst times to be job searching for college graduates, but I believe this downturn will not affect the maritime sector.
Not to be a stick in the mud, but a recession is defined as two or more quarters of negative economic growth. There has not even been one quarter so far since the slowdown began that was negative. Therefore, the US is not in a recession. Q.E.D.

Don't believe everything you see on TV or hear from a politician. Especially in an election year. And especially about anything remotely resembling economics.
Alexei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 22:00   #11

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei View Post
Not to be a stick in the mud, but a recession is defined as two or more quarters of negative economic growth. There has not even been one quarter so far since the slowdown began that was negative. Therefore, the US is not in a recession. Q.E.D.

Don't believe everything you see on TV or hear from a politician. Especially in an election year. And especially about anything remotely resembling economics.
That might be the definition of a recession in academic circles, but not the people out of work. There might not be a recession in the work you do, but there sure is in the work I do.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:17   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
That might be the definition of a recession in academic circles, but not the people out of work. There might not be a recession in the work you do, but there sure is in the work I do.
Forgive the assumption based on your user name, but are people skipping oil changes?

Sounding off my personal input - 5.5% unemployment and no negative GDP figures means no recession (overall). Some sectors are contracting, as they should have since they were in the stratosphere - housing and banking were over-done and needed a good cleaning out.

Energy is a problem and a drag that might induce some pesky inflation, but of course the textbook definition of inflation isn't only consumer prices, there is a wage factor. So far, there is slight inflation.

I don't think anyone can say for sure what's going to happen given these conditions. Possibly a little more slowing of the economy, possibly a steeper slowing, possibly a floundering until a recovery.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:53   #13

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
A recession is not defined by personal circumstances but by a decline in the GDP. Alexei has the right definition. Loose use of this word by the media has apparently spread to uninformed citizens.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:27   #14

Boat: Looking with intent
Being a person who has collected pay checks for predicting market movements and down turns/ up swings there is but one quote I would like to make "There are three forms of lies: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics"; I thank Mr. S. Clemens for that quote.

Unemployment data from government agencies has been outright false for over twenty years. The reasons are numerous, and if you want them I will discuss them but they are long winded and take up a lot of space. It is like the fact that very few economists have actually read Mr. A. Smith's complete work "the Wealth of Nations".

As i need to run some important errands i will come back late and post a bit more of why the US is in a very heavy economic down turn and that it has been for a lot long than most realize but that it is currently still a regional down turn and not a complete national one. There is much historical data showing this happening before and how it is dealt with will decide on whether it spreads to the full nation or not (currently the view by myself and a few others in this field is that it will be spreading further due to diverse pressures and activities, this opinions, but we get paid for our opinions).

Michael
Chiroeurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiroeurope View Post
As i need to run some important errands i will come back late and post a bit more of why the US is in a very heavy economic down turn and that it has been for a lot long than most realize but that it is currently still a regional down turn and not a complete national one. There is much historical data showing this happening before and how it is dealt with will decide on whether it spreads to the full nation or not (currently the view by myself and a few others in this field is that it will be spreading further due to diverse pressures and activities, this opinions, but we get paid for our opinions).
I find it interesting mostly because I like all things economic. But I think it would be a bit better as a new thread. I think the poster's intent was career advice as stated.

Maren