Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2018, 00:43   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 8
Moorings Australia

Hey everybody,

Relative newbie here - I hope I've posted in the correct place. I've been looking into purchasing a boat (Roberts 38). With this sale, the owner has offered the swing buoy the boat is attached to. I am skeptical about the mooring being legal. I'm wondering if anyone here has their boat on a mooring, and how did they come across it? In QLD, swing buoys/ pylons are hard to come by and a berth would cost us more than our weekly rent. The only thing stopping me from buying a fixed keel is finding a suitable place to keep it.

Thanks in advance for your help!
__________________

genni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 01:05   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pittwater NSW Aust.
Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m
Posts: 96
Re: Moorings Australia

What State?
__________________

Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 01:12   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 8
Re: Moorings Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
What State?
Queensland! I've checked out the Government website, and it doesn't offer much. It says that I may apply to create a swing mooring, but that it must meet their conditions. I feel if it were an easy process every Tom, Dick, and Harry would have done it by now.
genni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 01:25   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pittwater NSW Aust.
Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m
Posts: 96
Re: Moorings Australia

Sorry, can't help with Qld.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 01:27   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 8
Re: Moorings Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Sorry, can't help with Qld.
No worries. Thanks anyway!
genni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 01:40   #6
Registered User
 
Alan Mighty's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Scarborough Boat Harbour, Moreton Bay
Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP masthead cutter
Posts: 888
Re: Moorings Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by genni View Post
With this sale, the owner has offered the swing buoy the boat is attached to. I am skeptical about the mooring being legal.
Your location in Queensland is important. Is the mooring in the Gold Coast Waterway? If so, the rules are set by the Gold Coast Waterway Authority.

If not in the Gold Coast Waterway, then Maritime Safety Queensland is the relevant authority.

Let's assume the mooring is not in the Gold Coast Waterway.

The present owner may well have a mooring approval granted by Maritime Safety Queensland. That PO should be able to show you proof of the approval.

But that is not important. What is important is that the PO cannot transfer their approval for a mooring to you. The previous owner cannot grant you the mooring as a gift. Nor can the previous owner sell the mooring to you, either as the mooring itself or as part of the boat and its gear.

You have to apply for your own mooring approval.

MSQ's wording is clear:

"The granting of a buoy mooring authority is not a personal grant and does not confer legal title to any person. A buoy mooring authority cannot be given as a gift or reward, sold (either with the approved ship or as a mooring only), transferred, rented, sub-leased or used for financial gain."

See: https://www.msq.qld.gov.au/-/media/M...heet.pdf?la=en
__________________
“Fools say that you can only gain experience at your own expense, but I have always contrived to gain my experience at the expense of others.” - Otto von Bismarck
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 01:50   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 8
Re: Moorings Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Your location in Queensland is important. Is the mooring in the Gold Coast Waterway? If so, the rules are set by the Gold Coast Waterway Authority.

If not in the Gold Coast Waterway, then Maritime Safety Queensland is the relevant authority.

Let's assume the mooring is not in the Gold Coast Waterway.

The present owner may well have a mooring approval granted by Maritime Safety Queensland. That PO should be able to show you proof of the approval.

But that is not important. What is important is that the PO cannot transfer their approval for a mooring to you. The previous owner cannot grant you the mooring as a gift. Nor can the previous owner sell the mooring to you, either as the mooring itself or as part of the boat and its gear.

You have to apply for your own mooring approval.

MSQ's wording is clear:

"The granting of a buoy mooring authority is not a personal grant and does not confer legal title to any person. A buoy mooring authority cannot be given as a gift or reward, sold (either with the approved ship or as a mooring only), transferred, rented, sub-leased or used for financial gain."

See: https://www.msq.qld.gov.au/-/media/M...heet.pdf?la=en
Hi Alan,

Thanks very much for the detailed response. There is a photo of the mooring, and there are no other boats in the vicinity so I did think it was not up to code.

I am located inland, but our nearest marina is the Yeppoon area.

Without going into much detail, is the process of acquiring a swing mooring easy enough? As I mentioned earlier, we don't yet own a boat. And the decision between a TS and a fixed keel lies in the moorings and their cost. If a mooring is easy enough to organise, I will go the fixed keel route. If not, I will resign myself to a TS until such time we can afford a berth.

Many thanks.
genni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 01:56   #8
Registered User
 
Alan Mighty's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Scarborough Boat Harbour, Moreton Bay
Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP masthead cutter
Posts: 888
Re: Moorings Australia

Of course, there is the question of whether you're really talking about a 'mooring'.

You might, just for the sake of argument, be talking about a 54 kg (120 pounds) Bruce anchor with a length of chain and a buoy, such as you might find in a deep creek near Yeppoon.

Depends very much on whether MSQ regards that as a mooring or just a big anchor that you can retrieve and take with you, if the need arises.

If you wanted to find out more from MSQ, you'd be advised to go visit an MSQ office as remote from Yeppoon as possible (such as Cairns).
__________________
“Fools say that you can only gain experience at your own expense, but I have always contrived to gain my experience at the expense of others.” - Otto von Bismarck
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 02:20   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 8
Re: Moorings Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Of course, there is the question of whether you're really talking about a 'mooring'.

You might, just for the sake of argument, be talking about a 54 kg (120 pounds) Bruce anchor with a length of chain and a buoy, such as you might find in a deep creek near Yeppoon.

Depends very much on whether MSQ regards that as a mooring or just a big anchor that you can retrieve and take with you, if the need arises.

If you wanted to find out more from MSQ, you'd be advised to go visit an MSQ office as remote from Yeppoon as possible (such as Cairns).
Ha! You got me! I thought it was all the same.

You've given excellent information. I've looked up restricted anchoring zones and it does not seem to apply.

Thanks Alan! You've been a great help.
genni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 03:17   #10
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,691
Re: Moorings Australia

You definitely cannot transfer your mooring with the sale of the boat, and you have to have a QLD registered boat that qualifies for a mooring in order to apply for a mooring. Bit of a Catch22 but that's how it works.

In my experience, the MSQ are pretty easy going and if you turn up at the office and talk with the right people they'll let you know the local areas where moorings are available and (even though they won't "officially" offer advise) they'll give you a good idea of what locations may be best to apply for if you want to secure one quick. Of course some moorings are better than others, so do some homework first. The guys at MSQ might also let you know of any commercial guys which have moorings for rent which are a lot cheaper than a marina berth while you wait for your allocation. And the wait is worth it because it's something like $50 per year plus the cost of acquiring and maintaining your mooring. And you can quite often pick up used mooring gear at very reasonable pricing if you talk to the right people i.e. local mooring contractors.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 02:17   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Boat: Island Packet 40
Posts: 1,729
Images: 7
Re: Moorings Australia

I'm curious as to where near Yapoon one would find a creek deep enough to moor a keel boat in?

MSQ might not be the best people to talk to.

If you are near a designated port the port authority may be the administrator of the included waters and in some places inland up a river it may be the local council.

Asking the present owner who they pay their mooring rental fees to might be your best indication and if they say "what fees" it's probably prudent to assume that the mooring is unapproved or even illegal.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 03:35   #12
Registered User
 
Fore and Aft's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Gympie
Boat: Volkscruiser
Posts: 268
Re: Moorings Australia

You might have trouble getting comprehensive insurance on a swing mooring that far north?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 13:41   #13
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 12,863
Re: Moorings Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
You might have trouble getting comprehensive insurance on a swing mooring that far north?
Cheers
Interesting point, the harbor at Yepoon is as 23 d 09 m S. It would depend on the requirements of the insurance company. The buyer would need to know the exact position of whatever mooring he is able to work out, and for that, he needs to know the requirements from the insurance companies. Good luck with it, genni, it's lots of details.

Ann
__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 14:19   #14
Registered User
 
Simi 60's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Posts: 865
Re: Moorings Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I'm curious as to where near Yapoon one would find a creek deep enough to moor a keel boat in?
Cawarral
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 14:30   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Boat: Island Packet 40
Posts: 1,729
Images: 7
Re: Moorings Australia

Of course, one of the tidal entry creeks on that part of the coast. Looks like a good cyclone hole and handy to Emu Park. Great part of the Qld coast and not far from one of my favorite stops at Corio Bay. I used to go into the Keppel Bay marina to resupply until I discovered Emu Park which is far more convenient.
__________________

RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Australia, mooring

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moorings, Sydney, Australia - and haul outs impi Marinas 44 20-06-2015 17:08
Are there any public moorings on the Brisbane river ? (Australia) The cockpit kid General Sailing Forum 3 31-03-2014 07:56
Anchoring or swing moorings in Bundaberg, Australia? andreas.mehlin Boat Ownership & Making a Living 0 20-09-2013 12:52
Advice Needed: Sailing from Townsville, Australia to Bowen, Australia troppo Pacific & South China Sea 13 21-11-2010 08:16
Buying a charter boat through the Moorings irwinsailor General Sailing Forum 9 21-08-2008 12:52



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.