Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 16:30   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Metaphysical Cruising

is their a spiritual aspect to moving around on a boat or is it just hedonistic materialism?

are we on this earth purely to use it and abuse it?

i survived the sunami in thailand purely by good fortune and kharma.

interested to hear other's meta physical expriances whilst cruising,close to life,yet close to death...........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 16:50   #2

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Thumbs up

Really depends on the individual. I know for me being on the ocean has a direct relationship to my spirituality and the divine. This is why I am so glad I moved onto the boat where I can avoid the hedonism that had me penned into an unhealthy neighborhood. In that sense being on land was nearing killing me or maybe even someone else who wanted block my path or sit on my “spot” with their piles of materialistic B/S?. In contrast, I am now am starting to sit back, relax and find myself in an environment that is not destructive.

Opps – for a Lawyer I have to admit I am one of the few of my class who excelled and enjoyed ethics and jurisprudence. For me the boat is somewhere I can sit about and philosophize/theorize in peace with the sea and nature.
Old 06-02-2011, 17:00   #3

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Some of us are. We tread lightly and live conciously...

M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	364.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	23560  
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 17:17   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Some would say we are cowards… running away from our responsibilities on land and society… unable to contribute to the betterment of mankind and instead drifting away from any commitment.

Basically a selfish lot!....
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 18:05   #5

Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel
its all relative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Some would say we are cowards… running away from our responsibilities on land and society… unable to contribute to the betterment of mankind and instead drifting away from any commitment.

But what if you don't agree with the direction society it telling everyone to go?
I don't think its running, so much as confidently marching towards something that is more in line with who you are. Some people love living in tall buildings making money of other people, others like dropping an anchor in a sheltered bay so they can think for a while.

Each to their own

I think those whom choose the cruisers life are a brave and adventurous lot, its a privilege to be able to meet true travellers in this lifetime.

Thank you all for making the choices you have so we can (collectively) have great conversations in beautiful parts of the world together.

Damien
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 18:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

I prefer to say that I getting myself out of the way of the younger generation. Giving them a shot at the betterment of mankind. My generation failed.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 18:44   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
is their a spiritual aspect to moving around on a boat or is it just hedonistic materialism?...................
Is there a rule that says that hedonistic materialism has no spiritual value?
Old 06-02-2011, 19:01   #8

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
A few years ago I cashed out of a once rewarding career. I got great satisfaction from helping the students, but the peripheral baggage stressed me to the point it affected my health. The only peaceful waking moment in a day occurred just as I woke. For a few seconds I felt fine, then as full consciousness settled in the weight of my life fell again onto my shoulders. I spent every moment trying to figure out how I could make things better. I thought I had no other choice. I was locked into whole mess, so I thought.

I haven't seen a doctor since my exit physical from the Air Force 25 years ago. I don't take any meds, hope to never do so. But if I had not changed my life the only way I could have coped would have been with medical help. That would have only postponed the inevitable.

I finally summoned the courage to cash out (instant physical/mental relief), pay off my debt, and move onto my little spot of wilderness that was part of my grandparents farmland. My uncle owns the rest. I built a cabin and settled in to "be able to have a complete thought" without the distraction of most folks misguided ambition.

I'm convinced it saved my life.

After a year of solitude, and catching up with an old, old friend things started making sense. Thanks to my friend's input I was able to get back to where I had once known I should be...... on a boat.

Dusted off the old Hobie18 and went sailing, and things started making even more sense. I checked the funds balance and started researching monohulls. I continued sailing the Hobie and planned the next chapter in my life.

Now, two years later I sit on my Pearson typing this. I have no job and less than a grand in the bank, and I don't care. I'm in better health than the last 10 years and I have a tan.

A couple of days ago several dolphins were fishing around the boat. Yesterday a large osprey flew over with a huge fish in it's talons, just as a bald eagle swooped in and took it from the osprey. A couple of days from now I'll probably go for an offshore sail on my birthday.

Life is good, and for me it's certainly not about hedonism or materialism. My sympathies to those for whom it is.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 19:03   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

hedonistic materialism has no rules,but is limited to a large extent by wealth,or lack of.

this was the counter argument,but am more interested in cruisers expiriences when totally outside the material world, over the last 30 years iv'e traveled once around the world in a tent and by foot,
twice and a bit by boat,
and another time by conventional transport.
starting to see parrellels in the natural world,and communities.
wondering if others see this..........
Old 06-02-2011, 19:16   #10

Boat: 1972 Tartan 34C Fleur De Mer
I sail therefore I am
CDunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 19:21   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
There's a great connotation that is packaged with hedonism and material weath may not be related to monetary weath , but one's weath of material Earth! Nobody on or off a camel needs to fear their joy of life and the material wealth that the Earth provides.
Old 06-02-2011, 19:25   #12

Quote:
is their a spiritual aspect to moving around on a boat or is it just hedonistic materialism?
Not that anything is wrong with hedonism...right? Hedonism seems all around healthier than having invisible friends...
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 19:30   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

daddle with thanks to delmarrey.
An sailor was crossing a road one day, when a frog called out to him "hey Joe" and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess." He bent over, picked up the frog, and put it in his pocket.

The frog spoke up again and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn back into a beautiful princess and stay with you for one week." The sailor took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to the pocket.

The frog then cried out, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a princess, I'll stay with you for one week and do anything you want." Again, the sailor took the frog out, smiled at it and put it back into his pocket.

Finally, the frog asked, "What is the matter? I've told you I'm a beautiful princess and that I'll stay with you for one week and do anything you want. Why won't you kiss me?"
The sailor said, "Look, I'm a sailor and travel the world. I don't have the time for a girlfriend. But a talking frog?!! Now that's cool!"
Old 06-02-2011, 19:37   #14

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Quote:

starting to see parrellels in the natural world,and communities.

I'm curious about this, if you would elaborate to help me understand I'd appreciate it.

Hopefully my edit of the post didn't destroy context.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 19:41   #15

Boat: Catalina 22
Quote:

I would say that if you don't already have a spiritual relationship with a power greater than yourself before you leave land, it would be rare to develop one just thru the act of sailing, unless it is your primary intent to seek out and connect with the Divine.

One of the things I look forward to the most, when I finally put the US behind, is going deeper in my relationship with God. The hedonistic materialism and adulterous nature of western society are incessant distractions to a life based on spiritual truth.
GorillaToast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising