Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 16-08-2011, 14:10   #91
Moderator Emeritus
 
hummingway's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gabriola Island & Victoria, British Columbia
Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Posts: 6,933
Images: 5
Re: Maybe We Should Not Be that Afraid of Sharks

I've lived in cougar country much of my adult life. The only time they show any interest in adult humans is when there are too many cougar for the food supply in the area. In fact they do look at other animals and calculate the cost of trying to take them as food and in the case of an adult male the outcome is far from obviously in their favour. They do have an instinct to spring at a fleeing potential prey and children unaccompanied by an adult are potential prey. A starving animal will behave in a manner completely different from one that is simply hunting however and when, for instance, the deer supply is low or the population of cougars is too high you then have to be more watchful.
__________________

__________________
“We are the universe contemplating itself” - Carl Sagan

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 14:24   #92
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North carolina
Boat: 22' pop top catlina and 15' designers choice
Posts: 48
Re: Maybe We Should Not Be that Afraid of Sharks

Hummingway: My point exactly. Bravo and well said!
__________________

__________________
Wishinforwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 15:11   #93
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle
Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Posts: 276
Send a message via MSN to JayCall
Re: Maybe We Should Not Be that Afraid of Sharks

Years ago, my first wife's cousin and his father were duckhunting in SE North Carolina, up the Waccamaw River. A mocccasin slithered into their johnboat and the cousin lowered his 12 guage and shot the moccasin in the bottom of the boat! Kind of ruined their day!
__________________
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 15:15   #94
Registered User
 
Astrid's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Posts: 1,885
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Maybe We Should Not Be that Afraid of Sharks

Quote:
They do have an instinct to spring at a fleeing potential prey and children unaccompanied by an adult are potential prey. A starving animal will behave in a manner completely different from one that is simply hunting however and when, for instance, the deer supply is low or the population of cougars is too high you then have to be more watchful.
Watchful is the key word in this case. They also look for the unwary--the easy kill.

The main thing is, when one leaves the land and goes onto or into the ocean, one is leaving one's own turf and entering the domain of some other arch predator, so be wary.
__________________
'Tis evening on the moorland free,The starlit wave is still: Home is the sailor from the sea, The hunter from the hill.
Astrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 15:42   #95
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 68
Re: Maybe We Should Not Be that Afraid of Sharks

I think it works the same way with humans too. When we get lost in the woods and are removed from our usual diet, we have to make due and eat whatever we can. I'm sure there is some insect family out there saying "watch out for humans, they are known to stalk us for food". Say the apocalypse was to roll in here tomorrow... there are plenty of folks out there who would be going without their london broil steak and finding love inside a can of beans.

we can even have fun with this in a social aspect. maybe a guy gets too drunk at the bar. the type of girl he would normally have success talking with don't want anything to do with him. so rather than "starve", he strikes up some conversation with a gal that normally wouldn't catch his eye.

moral of the story...you work with what you got till you get laid off, then you just take anything!
__________________
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 15:47   #96
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 8,564
Images: 14
Re: Maybe We Should Not Be that Afraid of Sharks

BBC main evening news had a quick report of a shark attack in the Seychelles this evening.

http://sharkattackmonitor.wordpress....tness-account/

Pete
__________________
Moody 31 - April Lass
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 16:15   #97
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,775
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Maybe We Should Not Be that Afraid of Sharks

ok you guys...whenye find the maneating mako shark and kill it, please freeze its meat and send me some--they taste divine bbq'd over mesquite.....
sorry her hubby was eaten but i wanna eat the mako.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 16:22   #98
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Maybe We Should Not Be that Afraid of Sharks

This thread reminds me of the joke about Tiger Keepers - only 2 kinds, those who have been eaten by a Tiger. and those who haven't..............yet.

Seems odd to me to put oneself at the mercy of the whims of a wild animal / creature - even if statistically the odds are on your side. Easy to confuse dumb luck with skill / knowledge.........
__________________
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 16:29   #99
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 68
Re: Maybe We Should Not Be that Afraid of Sharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Seems odd to me to put oneself at the mercy of the whims of a wild animal / creature - even if statistically the odds are on your side. Easy to confuse dumb luck with skill / knowledge.........
very true! we don't see birds walking up to cats and opening up their mouths, putting their heads in, then strutting off after a round of applause...
__________________
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 17:36   #100
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,368
Re: Maybe We Should Not Be that Afraid of Sharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I've lived in cougar country much of my adult life. The only time they show any interest in adult humans is when there are too many cougar for the food supply in the area. In fact they do look at other animals and calculate the cost of trying to take them as food and in the case of an adult male the outcome is far from obviously in their favour. They do have an instinct to spring at a fleeing potential prey and children unaccompanied by an adult are potential prey. A starving animal will behave in a manner completely different from one that is simply hunting however and when, for instance, the deer supply is low or the population of cougars is too high you then have to be more watchful.
Yeah, they are very reclusive really, ive lived in the pac nw for 50 years and only had a quick glimpse of two, even tho I spent a lot of time in the woods. But thats what amazes me about these attacks, sometimes in backyards.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 17:43   #101
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: Maybe We Should Not Be that Afraid of Sharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah, they are very reclusive really, ive lived in the pac nw for 50 years and only had a quick glimpse of two, even tho I spent a lot of time in the woods. But thats what amazes me about these attacks, sometimes in backyards.
I've seen cougar tracks many times, have heard them a few times (very chilling if you never have) and had a very strange encounter with one when I was in my late teens.

I was camping in Jasper National Park with a few friends, and a picture was taken of us under a tree (back in the days of film).

Three weeks later I get a phone call from my buddy, all excited. He informs me of the picture, and there 5 feet above us, is a crouching cougar.

We would have never known, but whenever I think of that picture, a chill runs down my spine.
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 19:18   #102
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,368
Re: Maybe We Should Not Be that Afraid of Sharks

We live on a hill with 18 homes on five acre tracts. Nothing but mountains and woods to the east of us. Last summer we had a cougar around which eventually ended up on the roof of one of the sheds a 1/4 mile from me. Eventually it attacked his horse, the horse survived but needed medical attention. I dont know any reason this cougar was that hungry... there are deer everywhere, rabbits and coyotes in abundance and field mice everywhere. Go figure....
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 19:21   #103
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North carolina
Boat: 22' pop top catlina and 15' designers choice
Posts: 48
Re: Maybe We Should Not Be that Afraid of Sharks

Quote:
. Eventually it attacked his horse, the horse survived but needed medical attention. I dont know any reason this cougar was that hungry... there are deer everywhere, rabbits and coyotes in abundance and field mice everywhere. Go figure
..

Lemme guess.. Run down a deer. there is a horse ina locked pen that wont run 20 miles. or if it does run it runs in a circle.
__________________
Wishinforwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 19:59   #104
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: Maybe We Should Not Be that Afraid of Sharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishinforwind View Post
.

Lemme guess.. Run down a deer. there is a horse ina locked pen that wont run 20 miles. or if it does run it runs in a circle.
Cougars preserve energy as much as possible; they don't make a habit of running down their prey, preferring to ambush instead, from behind.

This is what it looks like in real life (ignore the silly girls comments)
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 06:33   #105
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Maybe We Should Not Be that Afraid of Sharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
We live on a hill with 18 homes on five acre tracts. Nothing but mountains and woods to the east of us. Last summer we had a cougar around which eventually ended up on the roof of one of the sheds a 1/4 mile from me. Eventually it attacked his horse, the horse survived but needed medical attention. I dont know any reason this cougar was that hungry... there are deer everywhere, rabbits and coyotes in abundance and field mice everywhere. Go figure....
Yeah, but the Cougar scared the Sharks away
__________________

__________________
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sharks in Barnegat Bay ? E.L.Green General Sailing Forum 10 25-07-2011 10:52



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:19.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.