Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 06:58   #46

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970
Re: Maybe We Should Not Be that Afraid of Sharks

Quote:
sharks are not all that interested in people they only come around them because they can get food from them.
I would not trust the shark not to bite the hand that feeds it.

Eel bites off thumb and shows how they surgically repaired him with part of his foot.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:32   #47

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Of the 1,196 aboard (The USS “Indianapolis”) , about 900 made it into the water in the twelve minutes before she sank. Few life rafts were released. Most survivors wore the standard kapok life jacket. Shark attacks began with sunrise of the first day, and continued until the men were physically removed from the water, almost five days later.

USS Indianapolis ➥
USS Indianapolis CA-35
Quote:
Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, Chief? You tell by looking from the dorsal to the tail fin. What we didn't know, was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin', so we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know, it was kinda like old squares in the battle like you see in the calendar named "The Battle of Waterloo" and the idea was: shark comes to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark will go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all the poundin' and the hollerin', they all come in and they... rip you to pieces. You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand. I know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday morning, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boatswain's mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water just like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon, the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us. He swung in low and he saw us... he was a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper. Anyway, he saw us and he come in low and three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and starts to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened... waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water; 316 men come out and the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.
Jaws (1975) - Memorable quotes
Old 10-08-2011, 07:37   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Yeah, I know the difference. Thanks for the correction.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:55   #49

Everyone who spends time on or in the water should be forced to watch Shark Week (and other such marine life specials) on the Discovery Channel.

Much can be learned, unless you would like to do your own personal shark research. Diving with them, etc. This will be my newest venture, some day.

It is all about respect and knowledge. That is for all non human life. We invade their homes, take over their resources etc. I know I would be rather 'vicious' if people did that to me.
WarmBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:47   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I would say a healthy respect for what a shark is capable of is the way to approach this...somewhere between petrified and fearless, erring on the side of cautious.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:49   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I would say a healthy respect for what a shark is capable of is the way to approach this...somewhere between petrified and fearless.
Although if you're in the water and that big beasty in the photo above is swimming towards you with a glint in it's eye I suppose petrified is a good as any response.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 13:01   #52

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Although if you're in the water and that big beasty in the photo above is swimming towards you with a glint in it's eye I suppose petrified is a good as any response.
I would give walking on water my level best.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 13:26   #53

Statistics can be misleading. For example, once you enter the water you can pretty much stop worrying about deer.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 17:13   #54

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

When operating my trist boat in Manzanillo was often asked if there were sharks around here.....my stock reply was "only the ones trying to sell you something on the beach". Couldn't scare the trists my business relied on them!!!!
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 17:43   #55

All wild animals are unpredictable. I saw a documentary last week with a guy who swims with great whites regularly after chumming the water with blood. They are basically curiuos animals and come close to see what you are. Having said, and seen, that ..... I dont trust the next situation to be predictable..... With any animal, many have one mode..... Eat, crap, sleep... Youre just part of the environment, they never got the memo about you being "top dog"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 18:06   #56

exactly cheechako! just because you get a way with something once, twice, a dozen times, doesn't mean that you will continue to. like that video of the guy getting his thumb bit off my the eel. i'm sure he has swam and fed eels like that dozens of times. him and his camera men seem relaxed and used to it enough to give me that impression. next thing you know, eel is on his thumb like a drunk on a hotdog.

i feel like the old saying "50% of the time, it works everytime" is relevant here.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 03:55   #57

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

A shark has a mouth, decent eyes but no hands. I read that a shark feels its prey with its mouth to decide if it wants to eat. I read they get 'confused with humans as prey' since they remind them of seals. BUT I do and dont buy that. They are eating machines. they have eaten plenty of humans, so have crocodiles. So they are dangerous and unpredictable, they do what what wild animal does in order to live. Mercy is not something they understand. Once they get hold of you, a good chance your either going to suffer a lot, be seriously hurt, or die.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 09:14   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
exactly cheechako! just because you get a way with something once, twice, a dozen times, doesn't mean that you will continue to. like that video of the guy getting his thumb bit off my the eel. i'm sure he has swam and fed eels like that dozens of times. him and his camera men seem relaxed and used to it enough to give me that impression. next thing you know, eel is on his thumb like a drunk on a hotdog.

i feel like the old saying "50% of the time, it works everytime" is relevant here.
Yeah, it only takes one time with an animal in the wrong mood. Steve Irwin learned this the hard way...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 10:01   #59

Who was in the wrong mood, Steve or the ray? Last week we where in Port Bremer. All the time we where there a shark, a nice little fat one was turning around the boat, we thought to fish him out then he told us that is dad was Jaws so we left him alone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0355.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	30444  
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 11:38   #60

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I grew up around scuba divers in Hawaii, free diving was my love. I could swim before I could walk and lived in the waters off hawaii. There were really only two species that would make my dad tell me to get into the dive boat NOW! And that was Orcas and hammer heads. Been face to face with a bull shark, he buzzed me once to check me out, absolutely beautiful! Was too mesmerized by how beautiful it was to really be that scared, though I did swim the opposite direction he ws going.
I am scared of sharks ( especially hammer heads) but Orcas and octopus have my number, just too damn smart. I can handle dumb animals, it's the smart ones that scare me.
E