Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2016, 20:37   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
May I rant about too much "stuff"?

Oh boy, stuff! Stuff stuff everywhere! Mine, his, ours....what happened to "minimalism", "traveling light", "lightening the load"???
We are going to have a "come to Jesus" moment very soon. It won't be pretty....

Here is the scenario:
Him; 60 shirts and he "might" get rid of half. Dress shirts, with buttons....
He packed 6 ties! The last time he wore a tie was Christmas 2013. 1 tie will do eh?
He packed 10 framed photos of his kids....where will he hang them? He packed 4 afghans that his mother made. Blah blah blah... (that blah blah is mocking myself, not him!)
Oh yeah, and he insisted on place setting for 8. (Last dinner party we threw was Thanksgiving 2014)

Meanwhile, across the boat

My entire wardrobe fits in carry on luggage. Fat pants included.
BUT, I have enough yarn to knit for a year. I have, ahem, something on the order of 600 colored and graphite pencils. Drawing paper, drawing tools (of which there are many) A portable easel. 2 sewing machines (though one will be given away in mexico)
I think I have something like 200 hand sewing needles, 100 or more machine needles.
(I also had 60 spools of thread, now just 6 not including uv thread)

We both have instruments him a guitar, me a psaltry.

No, of course we don't need all this stuff. Really, we dont. I'll get my collection of drawing supplies and yarn down to a large shoe box (maybe two ). I never thought it would be so tough!

But I'm struggling on how to reign in my guy. He wants to carry full camping gear, dive equipment, of course tools and spares. And his 30 shirts and 6 ties. And fishing gear. And.....

I know reality will strike and we will both feel easier about parting with stuff. But I spent the entire day organizing all this stuff and well, I had enough! Or should I say we have enough?

I won't even rant about all the stuff we parted with this year or last...I will give a hint though, it involves a 2,400 square foot house with garage, 3 construction skiffs, Craigs list adds,and countless donation to the good will. Oh yeah and 1/4 container of more stuff shipped to family overseas (no exaggeration). And we still have enough stuff to stage the house for showing!

So the question is, how to reign in a pack rat?
Old 23-09-2016, 20:40   #2

Re: May I rant about too much "stuff"??

I had to look up what a psaltry was. You couldn't have just said harp?
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 20:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedsquid View Post
I had to look up what a psaltry was. You couldn't have just said harp?
It's not a harp. It's actually much simpler aND easier to play. So, no, harp would be deceptive!
Old 23-09-2016, 20:44   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post

So the question is, how to reign in a pack rat?
Oh God, I hope my wife doesn't see this thread.

One time, years ago, I had to go on a trip for business and I forgot my luggage. My colleagues had a great time teasing me about it for years after. But it actually was a very liberating experience. Once there I casually went shopping for a (very) few (and nice, if I may say so) things and happily had a small carry-on for the return.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 20:44   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

1994 ... Kids moved out .... sold the house as is including three cars, three motorcycles, tractor all furniture and art work on the walls. We left with some clothes and family photos and moved on to the boat. Best thing we ever did. Everything we own is onboard. What a sense of unemcumbered freedom
Old 23-09-2016, 20:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
1994 ... Kids moved out .... sold the house as is including three cars, three motorcycles, tractor all furniture and art work on the walls. We left with some clothes and family photos and moved on to the boat. Best thing we ever did. Everything we own is onboard. What a sense of unemcumbered freedom
That's what I want! Freedom. I'm pretty good with that. If I were to booie today everything I own would fit in my car. But I want everything to fit on the boat!
Old 23-09-2016, 20:50   #7

Boat: PDQ 36

Oh Vey!!! Although I know how you feel. I won't have anyone to blame as I'm going to do the downsizing and move aboard alone. But I'm a knitter and spinner. So I'm taking a few fleeces that I (think) I can't replace. I think "oh this will be hard" but I have no idea just how hard it is going to be. I think I'm going to mock up my storage space and what doesn't fit doesn't go.

I'm also struggling with my tools.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 20:55   #8

As far as yarn...I have been told by Ravelery folks that live in Mexico, it's very hard to find anything except acrylic. I'm trying to take mostly cotton/silk & linen. Of course, you're going to have a spinner in San Carlos too. That would be me!
Old 23-09-2016, 20:58   #9

Kim! A spinner! I sold both my wheels and I've regretted it. Gulp....I actually enertained the idea of another, but I reigned in the impulse. Still, treadleing away, listening to music is such a lovely way to pass time. If you can't bring the fleece, stock up on a few bumps of roving to get you through.
Sheesh! Now I am encouraging others to be pack rats too!
In any case, we plan to be in Soc for a year while we improve our skills. When you flee the snow look us up. Our boat is Gitana.
Old 23-09-2016, 21:08   #10

I'm bringing my Spinolution Bee travel wheel, only 14 pounds and condenses to 12"x19"x9". Fits into a sewing machine case. I'm a fanatical spinner and not willing to give it up entirely.

But I have 10 other wheels to sell before I leave! The Hansen electric spinners were "invented" because they lived on a sailboat. Spinning and sailboats can co-exist!
Old 23-09-2016, 21:10   #11

I'm going to be in San Carlos in about a month...I'm taking some sailing lessons and to look at boats for sale. Will you be there then?? If not, I'll see if I can find your boat.
Old 23-09-2016, 21:23   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Downsizing can be hard. Though luckily some things will take just a little time. Things on boats tend to get a bit musty with time. So those 30 shirts will be 5 shirts and 25 rags in due time. Alas such will be the yarn and rovings too. (I spun for a while and owned mohair goats, llama's and alpaca's in a prior life).

Photo's and books tend to get a bit weather worn too. Mainly when it rains and the boat is closed up. High humidity is hard of stuff.

Rule of thump, if you have not used it in a year and it's not a memento or important spare part, toss it.

When I first moved aboard I had downsized to 15 pairs of shoes. Now I'm down to flip flops, sea boots and one pair of semi-dress shoes that I never wear. OK I have a dirty pair of tennis shoes too for bike riding. I have no business attire, no dresses and one skirt. Of course that took years to get to my now spartan ways.

Enjoy the adventure.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 21:56   #13

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Can you vacuum bag the yarn stuff in several bags and only open one up when you are ready to actually USE it?
Just a thought.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 22:00   #14

That's a good idea. Also might be able to include a couple of those silica gel packets that absorb moisture. That would protect yarn and fleeces and also make them more compact!! Good thinking!
Old 24-09-2016, 00:21   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sea Dreaming, if you will, allow me to tell your husband that even if he takes only two dress shirts, it will be too many, unless you are invited out to a formal occasion every day of the week, then 7 would do. Two will do, one will be used as a physical sunscreen, or against the jejenes, one for clearing customs, etc. Jim actually made do with sport shirts and slacks for formalities, and plane flights (but no European travel).

Ask him if he thinks it might be better to give them to the Salvation Army or similar, so that someone who needs them can get the use of them. Although, they, too make gifts, where the island men go to church, so it's not worth fighting over. Incidentally, those vacuum bags you can pump out yourself will shrink the space the excess clothing occupies...

Now, for the pictures of family. He could get them laminated, ditch the frames, and then use Blue Tack to stick them (possibly) on a bulkhead, or the ceilings (timbered sides) in the forepeak, or beside the anchor locker..

The place setting for 8 is interesting. Myself, I use Corelle, and I have 8 plates (two usually serve as serving plates.) Friends used to get thrift shop china, and mix and match plates, but almost everyone has flatware for 6, some, more. However, if all you have is for two, you just tell guests to bring their flatware and plates. Generally you wash all of it, and give it back clean to them. Where freshwater is limited, use a bucket of salt water for pre-wash, with some detergent in it, that will save on the fresh.

Keep the musical instruments -- they're hard to store, and a pain at times, but they give you, and the islanders you meet much pleasure. Besides, if you give them up, your skills will fade with time, and it's hard to come back to.

There are places in the Pacific where hand needles are welcome gifts, but you will have a hard time keeping them from rusting from the salt in the air.

I found the colored pencils great for tinting chart copies, but those days are pretty well over, I think. However, if you are an artist and you need them for your art, make space for them. If you can do caricatures, again, the islanders will love them. Pastels are another portable medium.

You're doing great, the progress is happening. I cried buckets the day I closed out my house, where the kids had been raised and I grew from a young mother to a divorcee with 3 kids. Lots of memories and identitiy, and aware of going off into the unknown.

Cheers,

Ann