Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-10-2016, 03:42   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: May I rant about too much "stuff"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
That begs the question of where does it go in case you do expect guests?
Ha, ha. It does indeed!

The answer is that it gets re-stored in more awkward and less accessible ways.

Accessibility is actually an even much bigger problem on most boats than volume.

I have a fair volume of space under and behind my salon settees, under the salon sole plates (the boat is raised salon type), in my lazarette, and in the dedicated watermaker system space which is empty. But once you start stuffing these spaces full, it means that you have to completely unpack them to get to anything which is not on the very top.

The only good thing about this is that the constant unpacking and repacking helps you to memorize the location of everything. Woe is you if you need something, an obscure spare part for example, and you can't remember what space it's stored in!! OMG, I've wasted whole days like that. And with time, I have gotten ever more systematic and careful about where things are kept, to avoid such incidents as much as possible.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:54   #62

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
The only good thing about this is that the constant unpacking and repacking helps you to memorize the location of everything. Woe is you if you need something, an obscure spare part for example, and you can't remember what space it's stored in!! OMG, I've wasted whole days like that. And with time, I have gotten ever more systematic and careful about where things are kept, to avoid such incidents as much as possible.
When we started packing every box got a number, then, on a sheet of paper every item in that box was written down. Tedious, but days later, when some small thing was needed I found it in seconds. I will, continue this method on the boat lockers (until some time we get lazy and dump gear wherever is convenient ) Who knows how long it will last. But for a brief moment in time I have earned bragging rights for my extraordinary organization.

Just remember that boat tetris is good exercise. It keeps you young.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:08   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Yeah.

Or the drum. Not just a small drum but a full size conga. I cannot even remember last time I played it. And then the guitar. NO NO NO - it is not an ukulele. It is a Spanish classic guitar in its own hard case ...

My crap. Not just the junk but just as much so the apparently valuable objects that are simply not all that much in use anymore.

I believe even without going viral with that silly Japanese girl (she IS sexy, but her minimalist stories are PURE SCAM: just look at her boyfriend!).

Thus, even without that sexy / minimalist Japanese lady, I do believe it is 99% in our mind - we are garbage collectors by nature. Something in the ape that tells it to collect stuff, just in case.

Big homes, big boats, big instruments, big boyfriends (or better: two big boyfriends), six children and a car for each in the family ... two mainsails and a spare tiller ...

Garbage. All garbage. You cannot steer with two tillers at once. We are only justifying our hedonistic choices.

b.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:39   #64

Boat: 2009 Beneteau 40 USVI 2003 Beneteau 423 MD

Thinking back, what to do with all of my work clothes? My plan is to rent a locker at a gym near my office. Plan B is a bit hanger rod on the back of my office door. Plan C is to donate the lot to Salvation Army when we start cruising full time.

Cheers, RickG
Old 04-10-2016, 10:46   #65

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
When we started packing every box got a number, then, on a sheet of paper every item in that box was written down. Tedious, but days later, when some small thing was needed I found it in seconds. I will, continue this method on the boat lockers (until some time we get lazy and dump gear wherever is convenient ) Who knows how long it will last. But for a brief moment in time I have earned bragging rights for my extraordinary organization.

Just remember that boat tetris is good exercise. It keeps you young.

Same here. The trick is keeping it updated over time as things are used and new things are added.

S/V B'Shert
Old 04-10-2016, 11:34   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG View Post
Thinking back, what to do with all of my work clothes? My plan is to rent a locker at a gym near my office. Plan B is a bit hanger rod on the back of my office door. Plan C is to donate the lot to Salvation Army when we start cruising full time.

Cheers, RickG
Yep. Give it away.

We gave away like 80% of our pre cruising clothes.

When you are back, your suits and vests may fit you no more. Just keep those Armani ties. I did.

Cheers,
b.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:09   #67

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Could always put everything into a pile and light it on fire.

I've been forced to downsize a bit, although not for living on a boat. Military moved me to Germany but really limited me on what I could take. So I had to give away or throw out a lot of what I owned. Furniture went to a church group who gave it to a young family who didn't have anything themselves and some things got dropped off good will. The rest that wasn't going with me to Germany was either put into a storage unit (10x10) or stayed with the house when I sold it (yard supplies like lawn mower, rakes, etc.).

When I got back, I realized just how much of the stuff I didn't really need and ended up throwing out or giving away half of what was there. Now, anything I own myself is in a single car garage. When I retire from the military, a lot of space will be opened up and more stuff will be tossed out.

Sometimes the downsizing will take time but you'll get there eventually.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 13:37   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

Downsizing was easier for us, because we bought a boat on the East Coast and had to fit everything in two cars for the trip from California. Garage sales, Goodwill, and goodbye. What we left home had to fit in an 8x10 storage shed in the back yard--we rented the house out.

You have a limited space on the boat, and you will keep what is important to you. You will probably find that your idea of what is important will change over time. Once every two or three years we would go through everything on the boat. If it hadn't been used, unless it was critical it went to make room. There is a cruisers VHF net in Trinidad, and one of the daily items is "Treasures of the Bilge".
Old 04-10-2016, 21:10   #69

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

I am passing everything on to the kids. Furniture was gone a long time ago when the house was sold.
We are talking about pictures, Christmas ornaments, keepsakes that the kids made. My plan is to re- gift many things to the Children. I have heard the rule that if you have not used it in a year, get rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-10-2016, 04:10   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
I am passing everything on to the kids. Furniture was gone a long time ago when the house was sold.
We are talking about pictures, Christmas ornaments, keepsakes that the kids made. My plan is to re- gift many things to the Children. I have heard the rule that if you have not used it in a year, get rid of it.

We did that too. Jims kids, however, live in the Netherlands. 3 kids means a colossal pile of keepsakes and family memorabilia and a container on a freighter.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:35   #71

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
We did that too. Jims kids, however, live in the Netherlands. 3 kids means a colossal pile of keepsakes and family memorabilia and a container on a freighter.
And who will care about these things in the years to come? The kids? I doubt it. My spouse's mom died a year or so ago. She had tons of "keepsakes" from all the kids and grandkids, including scribblings from when her girls were in grade school. Piles of stuff.

It all ended up in the trash (after much effort).
Old 05-10-2016, 08:03   #72

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
And who will care about these things in the years to come? The kids? I doubt it. My spouse's mom died a year or so ago. She had tons of "keepsakes" from all the kids and grandkids, including scribblings from when her girls were in grade school. Piles of stuff.

It all ended up in the trash (after much effort).

I think that my daughter cares.
She has been asking about the Christmas stuff for years.
I guess it really depends on the kids.
If they don't want it they can throw it away. Better than it sitting in container storage to be handled later. I have a glass collection also, two boxes. If they are not interested in them, time to toss them. A few years ago they were asking about them. Will pass this stuff on and they can do with it what they want. There are many memories for them associated with this stuff. I can take a picture and file it under memories. I learned this in a de-clutter book.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:22   #73

Oh when I say family keepsakes, most of it is not kindergarten scribbles. Much of it is antiques. These are things the kids asked for. But there is a lot!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: