Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2011, 10:10   #1

Marine Handheld Spotlights

Any thoughts of what is best for under $200?
Dreamcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 10:25   #2

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Marine Handheld Spotlights

as I see it there's really two options - a model with a 12v cigarette lighter plug and a 12v plug near the helm, or a rechargeable model. I guess you could also get alkaline battery models but I am pretty sure I'd always find myself at the wrong moment without a spare battery.

I spent a bunch of time looking at different models, but in the end I purchased a cheap, yellow, waterproof $20 plug-in model without recharging and installed a 12v plug at the helm. I'm still interested in upgrading, so I'm watching this thread for other options.
Old 27-04-2011, 10:47   #3

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Bought a great 2M candlepower handheld rechargeable at Walmat (not really marine) for $20.

Most of the "marine" ones suffer the same fate as all others. I'm sure there are a few models out there...I don't normally like rechargeable because battery replacement is usually difficult or expensive...sometimes both. So hard wired ones usually get my vote...can the cigarette adapter and get a nice brass polarized plug/outlet plus several other outlets and mount them around the boat.

If you are handy...a lot of old headlight high beams can be adapted for cheap.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 11:15   #4

Optronics Blue Eye

I did some research on this a couple of years ago and bought one for my boat. It is usually the highest rated spotlight in most tests and it beats lights costing hundreds more. The glare is almost non-existent and it lights up markers and buoys even in foggy conditions. Reflection and glare reduction are what sets this one apart. I think they're less than $50 and are waterproof. It doesn't have a battery and it is plug-in only.

My friend has a Radio Ray 7900 on his boat and it is a suction cup mount and remote controlled. Over 360 degree rotation and from down angle to almost straight up. When working on the foredeck this could be mounted by the companionway and use the remote to let it follow you around. Suck it to the stern and you can still use two hands for your chores and adjust it with the remote. Suck it to the bow and use the remote to follow the markers. Also waterproof.

Those are the only ones I have any first hand knowledge of. Good luck.

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 11:43   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i buy the kind in ace hardware that run for 16.95 plus tax and rechargeable. not necessarily marine, as that makes for 400 percent markup for nothing. same damn light, waaay higher price..LOL....have fun. stuff doesnt HAVE to cost arms legs and firstborn--is the SAME as the non marine stuff in most cases, just with a hellacious markup. have fun.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 11:51   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Get a good modern LED torch / flashlight.
I have both a spotlight and flashlight and almost always use the torch. It has better throw and better beam, without the wires.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 19:48   #7

I would consider a good LED Lenser flashlight instead of the spotlight. The X21 is the ultimate (>500 meter range), but a litte over your price cap. I use the T7 (>200 meter range). It is great at a distance, great close up, under $75 and fits in your pocket. Amazing product.

http://www.ledlenser.com/

Good video demonstration:
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 20:10   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i buy the kind in ace hardware that run for 16.95 plus tax and rechargeable. not necessarily marine, as that makes for 400 percent markup for nothing. same damn light, waaay higher price..LOL....have fun. stuff doesnt HAVE to cost arms legs and firstborn--is the SAME as the non marine stuff in most cases, just with a hellacious markup. have fun.
Have to go with Zeehag here. I got a rechargeable halogen light of a kazillion candle power (or whatever) for $8.95 on sale at Canadian Tire. It's only bright for about a half-hour straight, but who cares? Its purpose is for emergency lighting or flashing on the sail when a freighter is bearing down.

$200 is craziness. I can disassemble this cheap thing, spray the innards and get 90% of the "marine attributes". All I have to remember is to charge it every three months or so.

While I'm sure there are wonderful, bright, NASA-grade "see us from orbit" lamps, I simply don't need that. At 10 bucks per, I would rather buy 18 of these things and place them in every nook and cranny in the boat. If half of them failed, I'd still have nine times the illumination of one "marine spotlight".
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 20:13   #9

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

I have a great Westmarine rechargeable, about 3,500,000 candle power. Had it 5-6 years, works great. Used it Sunday night coming into our dark pier about midnight in a hard rain. Also keep a plug in 1,000,000 cp (1998) near the helm at night, just in case. COUPLE HUNDRED FOR THE BIG ONE, ABOUT 20 FOR THE SMALL
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 20:15   #10

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Get a good modern LED torch / flashlight.
I have both a spotlight and flashlight and almost always use the torch. It has better throw and better beam, without the wires.
I use knock off LED flashlights, aka "torches" frequently, usually to look at something nasty in the bilge, or to find the switch that turns on the area illuminating LEDs.

While I like and admire the utility and general superiority of some of those "tactical" LED lights, like what the cops seem to sport, the reality of my sailing career is that things break, get lost, go overboard or meet untimely demises in puddles of salt and/or fresh water. It's why I have six pairs of weakish, $2.95 reading glasses spaced around the boat, and it's why I carry a ten dollar LED flashlight that works until, three or four years later, it doesn't (assuming it hasn't amused the fish before shorting out on the way to the bottom).
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 11:37   #11

geeziz--you guys LOVE to spend money on nothing..LOL... the 16.95 zigillion kandlepower rechargeable non marine lamp works so well on lighting sails and flashing for being noticed--- proof was lastyr in gulf --shrimper saw us wghen out nav light was done---bow light didnt work, and shrimper saw only the sail bein glit good by the cheeeepo lamp. lol is no reason to buy a maxibux lamp when cheepo works probably better-- worst marine NEEDS their 400 percent markup-- ace is da place, mon......

funny how is non marine, yet is able to tolerate water intrusion somewhat..LOL.... i win!!!!!!
Old 28-04-2011, 12:24   #12

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby

Well, since I'm an avid diver and have an Underwater Kinetics 12v (8 D cells) for night diving, I use that as my hand held spot light. I have had it for years. Don't remember how much I paid but on a per annum basis, it isn't much.

Of course, I do have to keep a fair number of D cells as spares, but with only occasional use they seem to last a fairly long time.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 19:19   #13

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I take great pleasure in finding non-marine sustitutions where they work as well or better, but my WalMart spotlight was a waste of money. The glare is horrible.
I plan on the Optronics Blue Eye that Bill mentioned as I read it was highly rated. Glad Bill confirms.
Rechargeable would seem better, until it needs a charge right when you are looking for a marker. And to get a reasonable battery life, they can get awful heavy.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 19:57   #14

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

I have got one of those UK (Underwater Kinetics) four C cell battery models with the double Xeon bulb setup. It has been so useful that after I lost the first one overboard I went out and bought another. A good tip is to put a shark clip at the end of the lanyard. You can pick this model up for around $80 us and the company make a great range of similar lights.

Waterproof lights for work | UK makers of durable flashlights » Underwater Kinetics
Old 29-04-2011, 13:56   #15

rechargeables charge well in daylight hours, when not needed..LOl i found they last a couple of nights before needing to be charged,and the instructions say how long to charge and to not allow charging for more thaan X number of hours, so is no problem with the finding a dead light..LOL have fun.

Tags
marine