Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2010, 04:37   #1

Boat: 32 Manitou
Manitou 32

What about a manitou 32 to learn how to sail rom sydney to cairns...?
how hard?
WHat do I need to sail of.
ANyone kniw about visa when your sailing???

thanks
jenny&berins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 05:14   #2

Boat: boat less ATM
J&B you can sail a 14 ft Hobie cat from Sydney to Cairns no problem. I did when I was 18, many many years ago when I had all the time in the world.
Ho Hum Them were the days.

Any way back to your OP. I see from your profile that you are in the Med, hence the reason for the visa question I suppose. So, then do I presume you are not Australian citizens? If so what is your nationality. That has a huge bearing on your ability to get a visa. If you don't plan to work in OZ then it is a lot easier. You will need to show enough money to support yourself for your proposed time of stay in OZ.

I know nothing about Manitou 32's but I see there are quite a few for sale in OZ at the moment and that JFK once owned one. So he probably knew his boats.

They look like reasonable monos and could easily get you to Cairns. If you are new to sailing and don't want to do overnight sails - you take your time and make sure you arrive at the next town's entrance bar in DAYLIGHT & have an INCOMING tide you should have little problem, day sailing from Sydney to the Gold Coast. Importantly, don't rush or have timetables. That's what will kill even the most experienced sailor.

Once you get to the Gold Coast (our version of Florida - theme parks, tack, high rises, bikinis etc etc), the coast starts to head NW (actually happens after Byron Bay - the most easterly point in OZ). Hence most anchorages are behind headlands & are protected from the prevailing SE's and you don't have to do bar crossings except for Moolalabah entrance & the Wicked Old Wide Bay Bar at the bottom of Fraser island (need to especially plan your crossings here.)

The best books for the coast from Sydney to Cairns are the two written by Alan Lucas. He explains about bar crossings in the NSW Coastal Cruising book. Lucas writes a column in an online cruising magazine where you can also purchase the latest edition of his books. There are plenty of second hand editions rolling around book shops in OZ.

The mag is well worth reading free on line for heaps of info on Oz crusing.
The Coastal Passage Home Page

Other cruisers will be more than happy to give you up to date info when you arrive. Fair winds & good sailing
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 06:15   #3

Boat: 32 Manitou
Thank yo so much.
I have my visa in Australia so thats no worries. I am Swedish and my fiance is Australian. We now live in Sydney and we are so over this place....People seem to love sydney. for us its just to much.so we want to get away but dont know where tpo hide hahaha. so i think that we have decided to sail up to cairns and if we enjoy it sell our 32ft and buy a bigger better one and sail of. wondering hom much money that should be saved up... always a question. have realised that it cost more money living in sydney during cold weather than it cost just enjoying and not having a rent to pay. cheeses sydney is so expencive.
hope your great and thank you so much for your answer.
i will take a tripp to the library and get the books you told me about!
thanks again!
take care!
jenny&berins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 06:47   #4

Boat: boat less ATM
Dear J&B
As Grasshopper's mentor said "Every great journey starts with a single step". Or was that Bilbo Baggins?
Step 1 Dream of sailing away
#2 Buy the books - preferably 2nd hand or from the library (don't forget to take them back)
#3 Kick a few dozen boat tyres
#4 Buy a boat (after having it surveyed)
#5 Just add water & head north to warmer climes BEFORE winter comes to Sydney
PS Don't practice sailing on Sydney Harbor on the weekends. You will be terrified witless by the packs of crazy racers trying to run you over.
Have fun
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote